Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-08-2017, 01:33 AM
console lover

Standard Coil tuners with with UHF strips

Back in 1995 I discovered, quite by accident, that the 19" porthole Zenith I had at the time picked up UHF channel 35 on its tuner's channel 2. Back then it was just an oddity, but now I realize how extraordinary it was to find a 1951 model set adapted by its original owner to pick up a station that signed on in 1970.

Zenith had specifically designed their tuners for UHF capability from the beginning, but what about Standard Coil? Has anybody modified one to receive UHF or come across a set that previously had been? How well did it work?
Old 11-08-2017, 06:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

Standard Coil had UHF strips available for their tuners as well. These worked well, if the UHF station was close. I had several Standard UHF strips at one time
Old 11-10-2017, 09:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

My Predicta has a couple strips (I only know that because of a label on the top, probably from when it was a motel set). The channels weren't close enough to anything local for me to try them out when analog was alive. I also had an Emerson from about '52/53 that had a strip for local channel 16 & that worked very well. The station came on the air in '54, FYI.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

I don't know who manufactured it, but the RCA CT-100 tuner is designed to accept UHF as well as VHF strips. The tuner has 16 positions and it came from the factory with 12 positions set up for VHF channels and 4 more for UHF. The dealer could change strips to match the local station lineup. My CT-100 is set up for VHF 2-13 and UHF channels 14, 16, and 18:

https://antiqueradio.org/RCACT-100Te...#VHF-UHF_Tuner

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
https://antiqueradio.org/index.html