Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-11-2016, 06:09 PM
Workin' Late Again

What's causing the jaggedness in your posted pictures, is that your video player doing that?
Old 01-11-2016, 06:20 PM
M is for Memory

Interesting that it was used (and even rated in a tube manuals) for vertical deflection service.

I'd imagine tube life is reduced in that application. David, if that S-C is working and in fairly regular service, how often does that tube fail relative to the others?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-11-2016, 06:28 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Kuehn View Post
What's causing the jaggedness in your posted pictures, is that your video player doing that?
It seems to be the set. IIRC it does not do it when adjusted to produce drive bars...

Old 01-13-2016, 01:48 AM
M is for Memory

I recapped the Stromberg Carlson TC-10 (RA-103 clone), and was rewarded with raster. I was also able to get synchronised video and sound from it by injecting IF signal from my B&K 1077 analyst (the tuner is missing it's rotating coils so that was the only way to go). A pleasant surprise is that the B+ relay is still working properly (I've heard Dumont owners complain of bad ones a few times).
DSCN1286 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
DSCN1288 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
DSCN1289 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
DSCN1291 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
DSCN1292 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
DSCN1293 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
DSCN1294 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
DSCN1295 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr

My plan tomorrow (or when I next can) is to attempt to fix the tuner shaft on my Dumont doghouse and then transplant the identical dumont tuner to the Stromberg Carlson chassis.
To that end I have a couple of questions. The front half of the shaft on the dumont has little centering it or holding it in...Should the back half of the ceramic shaft thread to the bolt behind it, and will that make the complete shaft not wiggle about like it does? Also the sliders that contact the rotating coils, what positions should they be in, relative to the rotor being turned to either stop?

Last edited by Electronic M; 01-17-2016 at 10:52 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 07:04 PM
M is for Memory

I had to steal the tuner, fuse holder, and speaker transformer off the RA-103, but I was able to get the Stromberg Carlson to work again. I've decided to give the work I had to do to fix the Dumont tuner it's own thread so it can be found easier : http://videokarma.org/showthread.php?p=3154349

There is an issue with it wanting to display retrace bars if the picture is about at the right brightness setting to get good grayscale which is annoying. It also seems like focus changes with brightness which is annoying, but otherwise it works well...If someone told me I'd have a tube TV with channel 1, FM radio, weather band and aircraft radio tuning a few years ago I'd have said that I don't believe such a creature exists...

DSCN1301 by Tom Carlson, on Flickr
I'm torn on the Dumont RA-103 Doghouse. It needs all but one knob, a fixable tuner with the dial lamp bracket and clear dial scale, the fuse holder, power interlock, HV cage cover, a speaker transformer with plug or just the speaker plug (and I kludge in my own transformer), and god only knows if the mice ate any coils, or other such unobtanium. It's all there other wise but rusty, scratched, chewed on, it reeks of mice, and it's going to be much more of a pain to get it close to as good as the Stromberg is. I don't know if I should try to track the parts down (I'm sort of broke though) and fix it, sell it whole as a project, or part it out.

One wacky idea I had was to part out the Dumont and transfer over it's mask and CRT to the Stromberg Carlson's cabinet...My Stromberg is a 10" screen model, but they made 12" sets with the same cabinet and chassis so such a conversion would be easy....The only argument against it (aside from giving the Dumont a chance to live) is that I can't find any reference on the internet to another 10" Stromberg with the same cabinet as mine...There are tons of the 12" version out there, but my 10" set appears to be a rarity.

Audiokarma
Old 10-14-2017, 01:15 AM
M is for Memory

Back at the spring ETF I grabbed a less scary RA-103 chassis with a good tuner for $15....It's been kicking around for a LONG time as has the dismantled set. I finally got sick of all the bits for this thing taking up room and fixed it. The new chassis was also a mouse house, but not nearly as stinky and rusty. It's tuner was good and the HV cage cover was also present. Another benefit of the 'new' chassis was that someone gave it a crummy partial re-cap. They missed all the lytics, and did a lot of stupid things with the papers. I had to re-replace about half a dozen film caps since they did hair brained stuff like replacing .005 caps with .01, .1 with .15, installing a 200V cap to replace a 400V, 600V replacing the 1000V sweep caps, and the like....I left a few goofy but functional things like the series .22 caps (forming a .11) to replace a .1, and the series .01s replacing .005's. The pre-recap was helpful overall. Oddly enough the person who dumped the partially recapped chassis pulled every tube except for the most valuable one: the horizontal output (the HV rect also came with the chassis). The set had a LOT of mouse chewed wires in the main harness and under the 5U4s (which I suspect was part of the reason the previous owner's resto was aborted), and those were a pain to deal with. All the wires that had insulation damaged in the center I ended up replacing with ones from the other chassis, which thankfully had mouse chew on different wires (tisk tisk, the rodent family has such poor consistency ) Many of the wires chewed on the ends got heat shrink wrap over the damage....At the end on a couple of lone wires that got munched I just said 'Fu#k it' and bent their bare spots away from anything they could short to. After touching up the old recap and fixing the wires came changing the lytics, and then reinstalling the speaker and eye tube harnesses (previous owner clipped them out for god only knows why). I cleaned the tuner and reinstalled my original Dumont CRT, then remembered I had cannibalized the transformer and plug off this sets speaker to replace the missing ones on the stromberg. I grabbed a Philco split chassis parts chassis and found the right transformer for the output tube, and a plug that was close enough to work and crudely grafted them onto the speaker that came with the cabinet.

I was half expecting a big explosion or electrical fire on power up (it is hard to be sure one's found all the mouse damage), but was instead greeted by the B+ relay working, a horizontal line that bloomed into a raster, followed by sound and picture. Surprisingly it synced without adjustment, and the only major annoyance was the sound alignment not coinciding with clear picture (which I fixed)...Also I accidentally left a resistor disconnected while fixing the mouse damage which left the contrast control inoperative till I found it.

It still needs a clear dial scale, all but one of the knobs, a tuning eye tube that works, and a refinish, but I think otherwise it is done. I mannaged to get it in the cabinet, but still need to tweak the sweep adjustments. The CRT has ion burn, don't test great and had a brightener, but it is reasonably bright without it and looks okay so I'll keep it in till it dies (I've got a good 12LP4 waiting). Incidentally I left a sub standard tube in it...See link for details: http://www.videokarma.org/showthread...24#post3190724

Tomorrow I've got to dial in the sweep, replace the power cord, get the back on and hit is with some howards restor-a-finish (this pig needs lipstick, damn it! ).

I'm debating what to do with the other RA-103 chassis....Sell the parts, dump the whole chassis, or strip the chassis and keep the parts (the smell makes me want to dismiss keeping much of it). I'd be happy to trade my parts chassis or anything currently mounted to it for the knobs and or clear dial scale and or eye tube. Any takers? Carcass pic(k)s below.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:35 AM
console lover

Looks great, good job! I just wince every. single. time. I see letterboxing on a vintage set. I only have one device that reliably displays both 4:3 and 16:9 as geometrically correct 4:3. Unfortunately, it only does so connected to my computer. My Roku screws up YouTube formatting no matter how it's connected.
Old 10-14-2017, 10:07 AM
Tinker

Hi Tom,
I'll take the carcass if you don't want it.
Those Dumonts and Stombergs have many of the same parts as a Crosley 9-413. I recapped one a couple of months ago.
Ed

Last edited by EdKozk2; 10-14-2017 at 01:41 PM.