Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Things with Motors

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2015, 08:17 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
That same polishing compound also works well on dull Bakelite radio cabinets.
Thanks, I've got a couple of sets which could use a polish, and plenty of the stuff left.

I got the new starter in yesterday after spending Thursday night prying it loose. I'd have gotten it unmounted a LOT faster if I'd have realized that the top bolt goes in from the back (instead I assumed it was missing since I could not see it). That bolt is easy-ish to get at from the open hood if you look for it and have arms as long as mine. After I got it off I let it sit in the cars front end until yesterday when I figured out that the easiest way to get it out is to steer left so there is enough of a gap between the suspension and the steering rods to slide it out of the nook it resides in. The gear teeth all looked good so I got and installed a replacement. It is back to working as good as always now.

The bad starter appears to be the original Motorcraft part ~38 years ain't a bad run for a part like that.

I built up some muscle prying the old one free. It is quite empowering doing work that most people I know would not know how to do much less want to try.

Warning to those wanting to read about cars the rest of my post is mostly way off that topic.

Squirrel boy I was starting to think you were a cool guy, but your last post makes you sound like a damn Commycrat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Sorry about your life, but get use to working. Your dad's job is like one of my wife's and mine's friend, close to retirement she may end up retiring sooner.... who knows...
She is a medical biller or some kind, works for a Catholic based hospital I think.
My Dad is a step below the Director of the employee benefits department knows more than her and has the credentials to back it up, and would have had her job after she retires were it not for this.

Quote:
It's not Obamacare's fault, health insurance and the health care industry is too dam expensive for most people, you will find that out soon enough.....
Healthcare needs to be made affordable or it needs to close..... $10. Aspirin anyone...?
Not Obamacares fault!?!?...BULLSHIT!!! Dad has been with that large nursing home operating company since the latter part of the Bush administration. When he started the company was prosperous most people there were getting good raises and bonuses the company rented out a HUGE Ballroom in the Marcus Center for the performing arts annually for the Christmas party, etc. Sure the great recession had some effect, but things were stable and relatively unaffected until Obamacare was passed....Then it all went in to the toilet Christmas party gone, bonuses almost non existent, raises essentially gone...I can count on one hand the number of people that got even a meager raise since that damned act passed (and the only one dad has got was due to him studying and getting additional credentials) the cost of living was near the margins of his salary before raises stopped and health insurance (thank you obamacare, thank you commy Democrat bastards this is exactly the opposite of what you claimed it would be) and other cost of living increases have squeezed us.
Healthcare needs to be affordable or close, you say? So by that that logic if you decide your to offer your RCA 630 set for $10000 the government should stop you form ever dealing in TVs again because it is not affordable? That is nuts! Ignoring the blatant stupidity of arbitrarily artificially putting an industry into layoffs during a massive economic slump....Do you have no concept of a FREE MARKET (which the USA is supposed to be)? In a free market a service (or product) is worth what someone will pay for it. If there is no customers due to expense the service ceases to exist or changes to meet demand. If a service survives on the rich and pockets obscenely large profits and there is a market for that service that is priced out then someone WILL come along and cater to that market with a cheaper leaner equivalent service. Whenever I hear a liberal prattle BS like that and tell those they have disenfranchised that they are fine and to shut up about their plight and not let the world know, a little voice in the back of my head starts of dreaming of subjecting them to horror movie like torture.
As for 10$ aspirin, etc, the Pharmaceuticals are corrupt pirates who spend several times more advertising sex pills than actually researching new medication, price fix, and hide behind patents to extort the American people for their meds, which often are dangerous poorly tested crap....Obamacare did not do a DAMN THING about that, and guess what none of the Democrats, Washington establishment republicans, and even some of the staunch conservatives will NEVER do a thing about it since the Pharmaceuticals BRIBE (oh, wait they call it lobbying) the crap out of washing ton to preserve their cartel. All politicians but the staunchest of conservatives are too damn greedy not to fall for it so it sadly may never get addressed.

Quote:
You - graduating in the next few years.... You will be graduating during the Next Republican Recession, and it will be bigger than the last. If you have not kept up with current events, this "recovery" has not lead to better pay, or lots of jobs...

Many of the people I went to school with for engineering are now readjusted into the service industry.
I graduated at the end of May and got my diploma. I have not seen a recession that can be blamed on republicans. The Current recession that started during Bush's lame duck period was caused by Democrats in the house/senate and democrat/commy groups like Acorn (who Obama was part of) who pushed Fanny Mae and Freddy Mac to issue all those sub-prime loans, against sane banking practice, that set the economy up for the great recession. I remember Bush himself coming out against it and warning of what was to come, but he was powerless and his words went unheeded.
Recovery?...What Recovery things ain't in free fall no more, but improvements ain't happening either, and I don't believe the positive federal jobs reports any more...Every new one seems to come with a message saying the previous one was wrong and things are grossly worse than reported....Never mind that we've been doing this for many years and were more accurate before this administration that you can't do anything to make look bad, oops aren't we ditzes?....Please ruling party don't crush us and make us put out completely bogus data that totally ruins our remaining credibility.

Quote:
PS2 - That car..... Junk it for something cheap to run, and practical, till you have the time and money for something to play with.....
Sure, but let's see you junk that 80's Dodge Dakota, or your tube TVs first. I'd rather have a cheap gas guzzler that I can do most of the repairs on my self, than an over priced modern efficient planed obsolescence mobile that I have to take to a shop every time it needs an oil change. I own my car for the same reason I use only tube signal chain TVs: I understand/can easily grasp what goes on under the hood, can do most important work my self, refuse to give a damn about efficiency, and like the style and service I get more than anything modern I could get for the price.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Sure, but let's see you junk that 80's Dodge Dakota, or your tube TVs first. I'd rather have a cheap gas guzzler that I can do most of the repairs on my self, than an over priced modern efficient planed obsolescence mobile that I have to take to a shop every time it needs an oil change. I own my car for the same reason I use only tube signal chain TVs: I understand/can easily grasp what goes on under the hood, can do most important work my self, refuse to give a damn about efficiency, and like the style and service I get more than anything modern I could get for the price.
Neither of us could take a 20-year hiatus from the TV hobby, we would go nuts! It all depends on how hardcore the hobbyist is. For some it can be a respite in trying times. Sure it's costly, but I do what I can, when I can. Since I got into this I have compensated for lack of equipment/good TVs/parts by reading up on the subject. I have a decent amount of that stuff now, but still a long way to go.

If I don't like looking at something and/or it's made on the cheap, it's worth nothing to me. That rules out most new cars, electronics, appliances, furniture. If I really like something but can't fix or use it right away, it will sit for as long as it takes to remedy the situation, but junking is out of the question.

About this particular car, I too am impressed by how well the wax worked. I'd do something about that rust very soon though and eventually get the quarters re-painted.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:21 AM
Not sure how I got here.

EM- sorry you feel that way..... It is fun being able to fix old cars yourself, That is why
we also have stuff around 1990 in our stable. Rust is the only thing that really will beat
you, as it did me for my old '72 & 3 mustangs. My roof on the '72 looked better than
yours right now, but eventually got soft, see they don't paint under vinyl, and they don't
paint where you can't see.... So Sorry for the bad news you will eventually loose.....

My '88 serves it's purpose, less than 2,000 miles/year, getting coal, trips to HD, etc.
And since I owned it '92 I think, no break-downs, still original starter too.

My break with tv repair was more or less I break from a job, actually a change in job.
From what I thought was going to be a tv repair career to landscaping which turned
my health around. At 53 I have not seen a doctors office in 20 years. But I always
liked the "tv set" and now with a house, stability, I picked up a few sets to play with.

When the frame rotted out on my Rustang I got a '89 Prelude because a friend at
college had one and it was really really fun to drive, ran great, very comfortable.
I didn't care for the Styrofoam bumpers, but cars now are all about protecting YOU
in a wreck, at 53 and seeing the decline in driving skills, it's something you may
think one day might be worth it.... When I was a kid, I got all the parts for my cars
at the junkyard, in there I always looked and studied cars that were in wrecks,
2 door cars that got t-boned for the most part had blood inside, you could see
especially in firebirds, the car squished the drivers seat as if there was no protection
at all..... It all made me think a lot.

Still good luck with whatever you do with the car, just hate to see you go through
lots of work on that car and loose out on it with rust, and time, and money....

Healthcare is not so much a let the market find a price, and screw those who can't
afford it. Eventually everyone will need it. The $10. aspirin story, is not a
pharmacudical industry price, nor patent thing, it is actually a story over 40 years
old, originally I think from 60 minutes. And it's the price people in the hospital
were charged for a single aspirin. (I would imagine today, it's closer to $70.
and hidden so 60 minutes can't do another update with the new prices.... )So with all the
layers of stuff that people pay for in a hospital stay, it drives costs to something so
outrageous that it shows up in itemized things like that little 20 cent item being
delivered to the patient at the cost of $9.80.

At your age, you should really broaden your views on the world, cable tv news has a
lot of crackpot views, and money behind all that you hear. In the USA there are groups
that go around with free medical care days in tents like they do on other third world
countries, and the lines are miles long. A few of these were on shows like Frontline,
ha, ha, not a Fox show.... This happens because there are soooo many people here
who can't afford even the simplest of medical care items, You should find this episode
and watch it. You can choose not to buy a $100,0000 tv set, you may not be able to
choose not buying a $100,000 medical procedure, it'll just happen, and you'll file
bankruptcy a few years later..... Our healthcare system is rated last among developed
countries, and I think they rate Cuba's better, or near same, and they are a communist
country.

You do understand Communism is only an economic system. In communism, the
Government owns the means of production. We have things here that are done
under that system, think roads, prisons, public safety, sky safety, I bet there are
many more. And they are done that way because it's the best way to do it. Imagine
if the company in Floridah decided they were gunna charge $1/mile for their roads
if all roads were privatized, and for profit. Others were within market, say .08/mile.
How many jobs do you think would be in Fl..., if more states adopted it how quickly
do you think trains would make a come back. Frontline, Dam them, did a few shows
on for profit prisons, you should watch that one too.... Profit driven convictions ended up
putting those who set up and run that thing in prison themselves.

Communism is hated be those who pull the strings, as you get older, and hopefully
learn more than soundbytes about how and why things are the way they are, your
views will be softer, and more enlightened. More "Commycrat" like..... When I was
in my 20's I thought more protectionism like, USA Right all the time, Business should
run it like they want, etc. In time I saw them ruin a lot, politicians all suck, the two
of them got us here today. A world where you are less likely to have a life as good as
your parents....... It started in high gear when Regan began breaking labor in mass....

Sorry for prolonging this off topic discussion.....
But then we are in the off topic lane, right.....
I guess this thread will be closed soon....

Good day.

Last edited by Username1; 07-12-2015 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-12-2015, 12:10 PM
Administrator

It'll be closed soon enough if it doesn't get back on topic and out of the Politics immediately.
Old 07-12-2015, 03:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Time, money, and skill, can fix all automotive problems. I have a friend who has brought cars way more rusty than that Lincoln back from the brink of being scrapped. Look into a product called POR-15, It stabilizes rust pretty well. You just need to be vigilant and tackle it before it gets worse.
Audiokarma
Old 07-12-2015, 05:47 PM
M is for Memory

The roof is all still solid. you are not telling me anything I don't know about cars with vinyl roofs. There are some leaks in the vinyl, it accumulates on the bottom passenger side and has done what is there. The under carriage is in very good shape (I've had it on a hoist, and been under it enough to know). I've been keeping it covered during most precipitation to halt the advance of the rust. Part of me has been considering deleting the vinyl, removing the rust, painting/filling pits in the bare metal and maybe putting the trim back and doing the paint on the former vinyl area in a way that gives the visual impression of vinyl. If my circumstances were better I'd probably have started on that already... I'm now starting to think about shifting my attention back to Improving it. The driver door needs the power locks revisited, and the window angle adjusted, the 8-track mech has slowed and started a periodic grinding noise, I've got the money to address the exhaust (the muffler is going and makes a moan I've joked is the ship's fog horn), and I've always been curious about body work...This could be a good excuse to learn.

I can't stand letting squirrel boy have the last public shot at political debate here and I believe his opinion and characterization of my views is thoroughly misguided, but I'm going to be the bigger man and instead of posting the paragraphs of retort I've just written to his last comment, I'll instead say publicly say that 'I respectfully disagree with you squirrel boy' and take the political debate portion of this conversation private.

Now hopefully back to pure car talk.

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-12-2015 at 05:53 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 05:51 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Time, money, and skill, can fix all automotive problems. I have a friend who has brought cars way more rusty than that Lincoln back from the brink of being scrapped. Look into a product called POR-15, It stabilizes rust pretty well. You just need to be vigilant and tackle it before it gets worse.
Thanks for the suggestion I'll look into that.
I've seen worse before shots of some very nice cars as well.
Boy did I write my last post slowly for you to post this while I was writing it.

Old 07-12-2015, 05:52 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Quote:
I may try that stuff on my pickup bed, it has a good coat of surface rust on the
flat areas where cargo goes..... Something that is "hammer" resistant and they
say will NOT rust again is worth a try, and it's a reasonable price.... Thanks
for posting this, I have not seen it before....

PS - I have has vinyl roofs replaced before, you can find small shops that can
do a great job for around $3-400. I had mine done back in '86 for $180, and
they did it at the house.... The hardest part is doing the underside of the roof...
The part inside the car....

EM, Also, I can agree - we simply disagree on the things we are not suppose to
know about or talk about here. I still wish you well with house, home, car,
jobs, family, and your parents & their jobs....

Last edited by Username1; 07-12-2015 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-12-2015, 09:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
It'll be closed soon enough if it doesn't get back on topic and out of the Politics immediately.
Actually its economics....

but anyways, if you see that much rust by the landau, trust me, having done this for decades, its far far worse underneath.

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Old 07-13-2015, 07:30 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Time, money, and skill, can fix all automotive problems.
bwahahahaha!

Try PA rust....

Pioneer Silver-face Collector
Audiokarma
Old 07-13-2015, 05:16 PM
M is for Memory

A very close call!

Last night we had terrible thunder storms...After being awoken from a dead sleep at 3 AM by what sounded/felt like a small nuke. I observed the trees blowing more than I can remember in a LONG time. A few subsequent boomers that interrupted my sleep hours later revealed that a limb was in our yard from a neighbors tree. Once I awoke, and the storm was no longer making the windows difficult to see thru I found it was a bit worse than I thought it was...
More pics here:http://s1095.photobucket.com/user/El...?sort=3&page=1

The net sum of the damage to my car that I can see: a $90 weatherproof car cover, and a big scratch on the back of the trunk lid that the pictures don't fully capture...It ain't deep so I may be able to polish it out. Another 6" and that big branch would have connected with the rear end, or 25-45 degrees rotation and it would have landed on the roof. Thank god the bulk of it missed! Dads car was around 6-12' behind mine and took some damage too (that is what ya get fer parkin me in all the time), but he left for work well before I had a chance to see how bad it was hit (it don't sound too bad though).

The vinyl is definitely going bad some of the places where it has come loose from the trim it is clear that is has shrunk/gotten brittle, and there are cracks forming on top that were not there last year. I think I'm going to start researching ways to deal with it.

Quote:
they did it at the house.... The hardest part is doing the underside of the roof...The part inside the car....
Thanks, I have not tried to price it so that helps put it in perspective. I like the look of the vinyl half roof, but a part of me worries that even if all the rust is removed and it gets painted that putting new vinyl on is just going to help the rust eventually return...Though maybe I'm just worried over nothing. When you mention rust on the inside of the roof did you get that from rust through? I'm fairly sure there are not any holes in mine, and I'm sure there ain't no leaks (save for the rear corner of the door windows which only leak when hit with high pressure nozzles).

Quote:
EM, Also, I can agree - we simply disagree on the things we are not suppose to know about or talk about here. I still wish you well with house, home, car,
Fair enough. I'm fairly sure the forum does not and legally can't tell us what we are allowed to know...What we can say here is a different matter though.
Thanks.

Last edited by Electronic M; 07-13-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:31 PM
Not sure how I got here.

Looks like all in all you guys were lucky on that one..... Sorry anyhow....
Under the vinyl on one car was not painted at all.... Both cars seemed to have
an imperfect roof to body union. (weld) I was told before the internet, that
all imperfect cars got vinyl. On my cars, the inside of all the sheet metal had
no coating, to some type of gray crap, it all rusted. The vinyl roof, all of it got
soft, the cracks are because the rust raises areas where it starts to bubble, the
areas that have really good glue hold the vinyl down well, results it tears.
The tearing is too small to see at first, but water and salt gets in and rust
begins to really grow. The roof eventually is so soft with rust all over it, it's too
weak to be repaired with something, and needs to be replaced in some way.
Yes it's possible to repair any automotive damage, it's cost and practicality that
effect your choice as to what you are going to do with it. When I worked on my
cars, there was a thing called "rust converter" I used it, but it eventually flaked off
with new rust. It's hard to get it repaired everywhere when you still have to drive
it..... I put lots and lots of money into 2 rusty cars that eventually bent in half one
day when I put a jack under it, the other one that stabilizer, lower control arm strut
piece under the radiator broke off..... They had rebuilt engines, transmission, paint,
tons of rust preventative stuff, etc, all given to a guy that bought them for parts.
Had tons of fun with them, but just couldn't stop the end coming. Enjoy the car, but
pick yer battles, and in the end know when to say enough....
First cars are hard to make those kind of decisions on....

PS the rust you see on the outside, might be there along those bolt holes on
the inside of the rear quarters, mine were metal with some white puddy
on the underside with the little nut. Also a little rusty, along with the inside
of the rear Q. which was unpainted....

Last edited by Username1; 07-13-2015 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:51 PM
M is for Memory

Thanks for the explanation. On the Mark V from what I understand the Vinyl was technically an option, but basically every Mark V had one unless a Vinyl delete was specifically customer ordered. It is a padded vinyl roof so the cracking is not because of rust...I can't imagine 1/4" of spongy padding not absorbing the expansion of rust enough to cause the cracks I see...Granted that padding could have a rust magnifying effect.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:53 PM
Not sure how I got here.

I am unfamiliar with what might be in the padding. But it is possible the padding can
hold moisture..... The early 70's cars, like mine, did not have padded roofs.

Vinyl was an option back in the 70's too. There were "packages" like today's DX, LX,
and EX model designation, where the vinyl top was bundled if they had a lot of cars
with bad tops. You know how it goes, cover it up, get it sold, even to give away the top.
And vinyl tops were very popular, people liked them, I really liked the black top on
my bright red car, it looked great together... Seeing so many, made the ones without
it not look as good.... My car the mustang Grand'e had A/C PB PS 351 Auto, they made
all Grand'e with vinyl tops. It was like an upgrade, they probably had the public hooked
on them....

And who would want a Lincoln without a plush vinyl top anyway....?

PS- You know, it's also possible that by the time they built your car, they decided to
deliver a better product than they did in '72, and that the roof is painted on the
outside, and that you only have rust bad along that trim strip..... It's also possible
that that fender was replaced at one time and there is a weld along that line and it
is the source of the rust. The wife's '91 accord had developed a strange rust spot
middle lower part of drivers door, and when I repainted the car, discovered bondo
in that area. Seems like the first owner drove into something, made a small dent,
had it fixed, and in the 20 years we had the car it rusted probably from poor metal-prep.
Also, that repair was done so well that I could not tell anything was done to it all this
time until I sanded it and got it ready for repainting.

Last edited by Username1; 07-14-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-14-2015, 10:00 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I may try that stuff on my pickup bed, it has a good coat of surface rust on the
flat areas where cargo goes..... Something that is "hammer" resistant and they
say will NOT rust again is worth a try, and it's a reasonable price.... Thanks
for posting this, I have not seen it before....

they did it at the house.... The hardest part is doing the underside of the roof...
The part inside the car....

EM, Also, I can agree - we simply disagree on the things we are not suppose to
know about or talk about here. I still wish you well with house, home, car,

I had my 2000 Dakota bed coated with a spray on bed liner, instead of a plastic bed liner. I also had it rust-deferred, as there's no such thing as rust proofing.
You can buy a bed liner type product at the auto supply stores. I've seen it done, but if not done properly, it doesn't look to good. That's why I had done professionally, plus it never would've got done.
Audiokarma