Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-23-2013, 11:43 PM
<---WANTED: Motorola 17P6

Sometimes a flaming fudge bag does wonders too
Old 04-24-2013, 05:58 AM
Administrator

I work with PayPal all the time at my job. We do well over 7 figures with PayPal annually. There is no way that PayPal won't give you a refund if a dispute is opened.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boobtubeman View Post
Sometimes a flaming fudge bag does wonders too
Ah, those wonderful days of yore...
Old 04-24-2013, 12:42 PM
<-- Me and my "first" TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
There is no way that PayPal won't give you a refund if a dispute is opened.
Bob makes a very important distinction, which is worth emphasizing and which I found out the hard way. If you pay via instant transfer from your bank account through PayPal, they put the payment through immediately and supposedly then no longer have any control over it; they say it is "impossible" to recall it in the event of a dispute. I suspect that what was really happening was that it was difficult to do so or they were reluctant to do so. I was unable to get PayPal to back me on what seemed to me to be an arguable case of seller error; I bought one item, they charged for two, I carelessly authorized payment for two and then after the seller refused to change the order I asked PayPal to adjust the payment before the transaction shipped. They said because my payment was an instant transfer they were unable to do so. They seem to make a very big distinction between paying with funds from your PayPal account and paying with funds from your bank account.

Bob is also correct that PayPal can unilaterally freeze funds or issue a refund from your account with you having very little input or recourse. And they do, whether you like it or not, most often seem to side with the buyer in a dispute. If you always transfer your money out of your PayPal account and into your bank immediately and maintain a zero balance with PayPal, it makes it a little more difficult for them to hold you hostage. Of course that works against your being able to pay using your PayPal balance as a source of funds as a buyer, so you need to weigh your priorities as a buyer or a seller.

All-in-all, I've been surprised how far out on a limb PayPal has gone to protect me as a buyer. But even in one case when I was clearly "in the right" I thought they were pretty heavy-handed in their treatment of the seller.

-- Dave Sica
Old 04-25-2013, 05:39 PM
3 Phase 480VAC is QRP

One thing to keep in mind is that various federal and state statutes apply to the content of e-mail to a commercial establishment. One must be careful to avoid any statement that might be even remotely construed as commercial disparagement, which can be very expensive in court. Also, one must be similarly careful should one be tempted to bring up this incident while in the vendor's normal and usual place of business. Here very interesting state and local laws apply. You could end up in jail with the guy's brother being the judge for your case...

Having said that, Bob... have you tried the Better Business Bureau for his city/county? Or, their local consumer protection office?
Old 04-28-2013, 11:10 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy G View Post
We oughta ask Tony to send Paulie, Chrissy, or Silvio to have a word w/him...(grin) Or would you send Patsy ? Remember the one where Patsy went to see that gal Gloria who worked at the Mercedes dealers', who was bothering Tony ?!?

"We understand each other?....It won't be cinematic..."

Last edited by M3-SRT8; 04-28-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:23 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave S View Post
If you always transfer your money out of your PayPal account and into your bank immediately and maintain a zero balance with PayPal, it makes it a little more difficult for them to hold you hostage.

All-in-all, I've been surprised how far out on a limb PayPal has gone to protect me as a buyer. But even in one case when I was clearly "in the right" I thought they were pretty heavy-handed in their treatment of the seller.

-- Dave Sica
I just want to note...
This is not the case for sellers, sellers can keep a zero PP balance all they want. It offers zero protection...PP will just back charge the attached bank account. Or at least that is the way it was 5 years ago.
Old 04-29-2013, 07:23 AM
Bob Galanter

Guess I better keep a near zero balance in that account too!

New Web Site under developement
ME http://AntiqueTvGuy.com
Old 04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohohyodafarted View Post
Guess I better keep a near zero balance in that account too!
Or close the account and open a new one. PP can really put it on you as a seller. Unfortunately, shrewd eBay buyers can reek havoc on you...
Old 04-29-2013, 01:36 PM
M is for Memory

Ouch! What a rotten thing to have happen. I'd be mega-pissed if that happened to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W3XWT View Post
Also says something about what "100% Positive Feedback" can really mean.

Reminds me of something a girlfriend of mine once said, "Trust Me has the same number of letters as ---- ---, and means the same thing"...
Hilarious quote. Is the three letter word off or you?

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 04-29-2013, 01:55 PM
Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Ouch! What a rotten thing to have happen. I'd be mega-pissed if that happened to me.

Hilarious quote. Is the three letter word off or you?
I think either one could be implied, depends on the situation
Sansui 1000a, 1000, SAX-200, 5050, 9090DB, 881, SR-636, SC-3000, AT-20
Pioneer SX-939, ER-420, SM-B201
Motorola SK77W-2Z tube console
McIntosh MC2205, C26
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

what I don't understand is why he keeps listing the set on ebay at the same price, for multiple weeks if it "needs to be picked up within 7 days". for the amount of time he has wasted trying to (re)sell the tv set, you could have already arranged for pick up and had it sitting in your house instead of having to fight him on getting your money back. the whole pickup thing seems counter-intuitive given how long it has been listed, and the seller seems like a real snake not wishing to realize clearly how wrong he is for doing what he is doing. just my two cents. Truly hope everything works out, and I think that it will one way or the other.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:20 AM
VideoKarma Member

Let me tell you how the paypal balance thing works. I keep a zero paypal balance. I had a frivolous claim opened against me. When a claim gets opened, ebay (I'm sorry "paypal", same difference) puts a hold on that amount. If your balance is zero, it just goes negative, and they send you threatening emails; "your account has a negative balance, please add funds". I think there was some verbage about sending to a collections agency after a while. This was about 5 years ago. They do not automatically take from the attached account. I just let it sit negative until the case was ultimately resolved in my favor.

A little background on the case, for those who might care: I sold a power supply for a phone system for $400. It was a working pull, fully tested by me, and pictured as tested with a meter showing outputs. The guy gets it, installs it in a shorted system and it won't power up (it has a self-test, and won't power up if its outputs are shorted). He wouldn't believe me, said it was DOA, and demanded his system was fine. I told him some basic things to try, but he refused. After a week, what do you know, the case was closed and I got left a positive feedback with no explanation. I guess he figured out I was right, lol.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
Let me tell you how the paypal balance thing works. I keep a zero paypal balance. I had a frivolous claim opened against me. When a claim gets opened, ebay (I'm sorry "paypal", same difference) puts a hold on that amount. If your balance is zero, it just goes negative, and they send you threatening emails; "your account has a negative balance, please add funds". I think there was some verbage about sending to a collections agency after a while. This was about 5 years ago. They do not automatically take from the attached account. I just let it sit negative until the case was ultimately resolved in my favor.

A little background on the case, for those who might care: I sold a power supply for a phone system for $400. It was a working pull, fully tested by me, and pictured as tested with a meter showing outputs. The guy gets it, installs it in a shorted system and it won't power up (it has a self-test, and won't power up if its outputs are shorted). He wouldn't believe me, said it was DOA, and demanded his system was fine. I told him some basic things to try, but he refused. After a week, what do you know, the case was closed and I got left a positive feedback with no explanation. I guess he figured out I was right, lol.
That is not my experience. Maybe it was before Ebay fully bought up PP. It was so long ago I can't remember the exact details...I list motorcycle engine as NON working parts/needs disassembly, buyer buys it cheap ($180), buyer decides I didn't describe it as parts. Buyer files claim and uses his credit union to reverse charges(Paypal won't even fight this scenario, they automatically side with buyer and don't do "As-IS"). funds taken direct from bank account via debit card attached to PP, bounce charges...Ebay and paypal steal my engine, my shipping cost, and the bank sticks me with compounding bounces charges if I don't pay up.

So maybe that's not directly attaching an account because CC company was involved backed by weight of credit union...but in action it's similar. Having zero PP balance doesn't help.

Your situation the buyer probably paid from PP balance, thus no immediate action against your CC or debit card you attached. Just negative PP balance.

I don't know because i haven't sold on fleabay for a long time, but
nowadays , they may have better safeguards like making sure the buyer actually returns the item, but that didn't used to be the case.

Last edited by Stromberg48; 04-30-2013 at 10:40 AM. Reason: sp
Old 04-30-2013, 12:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
In solidarity with our fellow collector Bob , I have sent a friendly Email asking for the return of Bob's $250 . I used no foul or threatening language and explained that just because an appointment to pick up the set was missed is no good reason to commit fraud by withholding both the funds and the TV . I myself am a Radio collector mostly , but I do also appreciate the old TVs and I know how few real TV collectors are out here . If this dealer does not honor the deal with Bob I pray that will be the LAST antique TV he sells , as the few real collectors shun him for screwing Bob on this deal .

I urge ALL our fellow collectors , no matter what ya collect , to take a few moments and send off an Email to the seller in support of doing the right thing for Bob , either give him his paid for TV , or a refund of the money spent . If the dealer gets enough Emails , It just may prompt him into doing the right thing , especially if the volume of Emails indicates that the entire collector community universally condemns this blatant ripoff ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by init4fun View Post
Waitin on Karma may be all well and good , but I'll bet if a few folks would lift a few fingers and send off an Email to the seller asking nicely for the return of Bob's $250 , It could speed up the Karma process considerably

In post one of this thread , Bob asked for folks to send off some Emails . I have done so and have seen no other mention of anyone else honoring Bob's request . If the seller sees dozens of friendly Emails urging him to do the right thing , he just may "man up" and make good on the deal , even if only for the reason of the fear of never being able to sell another antique tv to the collector community .....

So Guys , Hows those Emails coming along ? Anyone send any yet ?

If Bob is ever to see justice on this issue , a few fellow collectors are gonna have to make some noise in the form of polite complaint to the seller so that it appears that a lot more than just the ripoff of Bob's $250 is at stake . The guy runs a business selling stuff , If he thinks enough business could be lost he may do what's right here just for the sake of his bottom line . But with no protest or knowledge that the collector community is even aware of this injustice to Bob , the seller has no idea that anyone else except Bob is even aware that Bob is out $250 and has no TV to show for it . I'll bet the seller hasn't even a clue that this thread exists ....
Audiokarma