Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2020, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

So here is where things stand with this thread:

TV is probably not fixable due to a 64 pin u1001 IC that is frankly not worth the labor to try and fix.

The CRT is verified good, and verified because I actually got to swap in another CRT and it had the exact same issue. At this point the odds are it is that IC. So that is my diagnosis. And at least I came to a diagnosis.

Now I do have an addendum. This CTC 166 has one of those degauss thermistors. You know, the ones that like to separate from their leads? And it separated from the leads.

I replaced it with the thermistor from the CTC 146 donor chassis, which is a much better thermistor, in that it has a coating on it like disc capacitors have, to keep the leads from breaking off.

The CTC 146, despite being a cheaper set, has a better degauss thermistor than even high end RCA sets.

Go home RCA, you're drunk.
Old 03-15-2020, 09:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRX37 View Post

The CTC 146, despite being a cheaper set, has a better degauss thermistor than even high end RCA sets.

Go home RCA, you're drunk.
Heheh.. depends on the vendor used during the year. I just grabbed one of those green coated thermistors out of a 169 (which generally had the silver one) to use on a customer's mid nineties Zenith console which he insisted I repair for him.

The thermistors probably cost the same regardless of construction.

If you're traveling through Connecticut I'll swap that IC for you in 5 minutes.

John
Old 03-16-2020, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm in Michigan, so can't work that out I'm afraid. I'd ship the chassis to you, but shipping cost exceeds value of TV.

Odds are I will find another one some day. I am still finding CRT sets in the trash. Just yesterday I found a 13" Memorex set from 2002 that looks to be very clean and very low hours.