Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:56 PM
Aspiring Videographer

Service for Sony Digibeta VTR Deck

I got a Sony DVW-M2000 Digibeta deck that I bought off eBay a few years ago. It runs great and gives me a great picture. Plus I was able to snag the optional upconverter board (which originally retailed for $8k) for like literally $100. Since its back compatible with BetacamSP, SX and the MPEG IMX formats. I had the idea of using this deck to possibly archive some of the old VHS material that is not available on any other format, along with some other projects.

Thing is now, as of recently when I power the machine on I get the error code 'ERR-96' and the deck doesn't function. When I power it off and back on, then it gives me the normal counter display.

I know that finding a tech to service these units is getting harder by the day but I was wondering if there was a facility somewhere that can still service these units. I would still use this unit over the PVW-2800 and the BVW-D75 (yes this unit has SDI output) that I also have.

I would hope to have these units for a long time yet as long as I can keep them running. At least I can still find Digibeta blank tapes here and there.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

I went to school on the Digibeta DVW A500. Not familiar with ERR96. Did you not get the manual with this???
They are maintenance intensive and parts are expensive. Also there are too many OEM parts. If Sony decides to discontinue a part, you're screwed.
When the unit is powered up, the machine goes thru a bunch of self-checks. The drum will make a half spin. Same for the capstan and eject, and threading motors.
All the motors have PG (pulse generating) circuits that give information to the cpu for diagnostics. If one (or more) motors do not spin up, it gives an error code.
Other circuits are monitored as well, such as AC line, Reference Signal, etc.
BUT, if you think Sony is bad, PanaJunket is worse. I went to their school on DVCPro and its all board level repair. Good luck.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here are the DVW error codes;

http://www.matrixav.com/reference/dvw_error_codes.htm

Does this unit have a NV-RAM battery in it somewhere? It would be a smallish item on a board. I had some SX decks that went dead because of the battery. Could not boot up.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

"I went to their school on DVCPro and its all board level repair. Good luck."

Oh, so you could fix the capacitor issues in my AG-D650 machines, then?
Old 06-27-2019, 11:42 AM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

Does this unit have a NV-RAM battery in it somewhere? It would be a smallish item on a board. I had some SX decks that went dead because of the battery. Could not boot up.
Yes, I'd begin by replacing the NV-RAM battery. Because it's the general first place to start if one is present? It can cause the machine to not boot up, or throw an error code.
Audiokarma
Old 06-27-2019, 04:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Curious if it's a battery you must change while the machine is powered up? Slightly more risk, but there are some (non-video) gear out there that requires a $ervice call if battery is removed with power off...
Old 06-27-2019, 05:43 PM
Aspiring Videographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

Its possible that it does, I just don't know where the location of the battery is. Chances are it could be buried in a board somewhere. When I first got the machine I never had that error code, but since the deck isn't used daily and sometimes used only once a week, over time then that code started to appear. I restart the machine a time or two and then it resumes normal operation. I'll have to see if a service manual can be found somewhere. I've downloaded the operator manual sometime ago, but I have yet to print it out to put in a binder.

I know these are complex machines and repairs can be expensive, but there are no other machines out there that plays and records Digibeta, and the Panasonic MII machines aren't that great.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am guessing here but the error codes indicate a NV-RAM which wants a battery somewhere. I had this on a SX deck so I am just throwing darts here as the Digi may do something else. My decks were 10+ years old before the batteries went...all at once after a few years of storage.

That said, in the SX the battery is a small cube smaller than a Bazooka bubble gum with 2 or 4 pins on it. You would never know it is a battery looking at it. It pushes on to a socket on one of the boards so it is a power down situation to pull the board. You get to find it in the manuals. I found replacements online...not Sony. Find the part number printed on the battery.

Last edited by Dave A; 06-27-2019 at 07:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 07-29-2019, 11:00 PM
Gimpus Stereophilus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
"I went to their school on DVCPro and its all board level repair. Good luck."

Oh, so you could fix the capacitor issues in my AG-D650 machines, then?
That's a component level repair. Board level means, "Replace Board". Component level means "Replace the defective or out of tolerance components and repair the board, the circuit board that is". This hopefully explains it. Replace Board, means exchange the whole board, which is board level repair. Component level means repair the original board, and get the board operational. And replace the board's defective parts, and alignments/adjustments.

Last edited by KentTeffeteller; 07-29-2019 at 11:03 PM.