Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-06-2017, 10:49 AM
VideoKarma Member

I hate the RCA 630 chassis

I am working on an 8TS30 for a friend. The set was recapped by Kamakiri and was working but the contrast was terrible. I picked up the set a few months back while in Buffalo visiting. Owner of the set is close to me in VA. Kamakiri suggested replacing the four 270 pf mica coupling caps in the video IF, as these can sometimes be a problem and cause this issue. So I did. Took all of 15 minutes to replace those four caps. The originals all tested a bit high, but no higher than 320 pf. I also found a resistor that had broke free of the contrast (AGC) pot. It was going to the audio amp tube. Fired it up and I do get audio but ZERO sign of a picture. Nothing even close. Mostly just a gray raster. AGC alters that a bit, and alters audio too. All the other controls seem to work as they should. Set is putting out 9 kV to the CRT and running solid otherwise.

Could replacing these 4 micas in the video IF throw the set that much out of alignment that I would not get even a hint of a picture?

I do not have the equipment and have never done an alignment of a set. So if it is the alignment I am kinda out of luck.

I did all the easy troubleshooting items, checked/swapped tubes. Cleaned tuner, etc.

Any other suggestions?

This is the second RCA 630 chassis I have had my hands on and both have given me fits!