Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-15-2017, 07:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

I put the lithium grease (lightly) on a couple of gears and rechecked all of the connections. I know that the chassis needs to be recapped but as of this writing, everything seems to be working again.
Old 03-16-2017, 06:48 AM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
No kidding. That reminds me of what happened in the storage room with my Sanyo. I don't recall exactly what I was doing but it caused a pile of remotes to take a spill, and boom, the TV came on. I checked the remotes I knew I had tried batteries in, none had any.
Response to randomly generated ultrasonic tones is the nature of the beast....My SC600 Avanti comes on by it's self any time I vacuum in the room it is in.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-16-2017, 07:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Glad to hear the set found a good home! I found that set at an estate sale in a very large stately old home in the wealthy suburb of Hinsdale, IL back on 9-21-2013. Here's a photo I took of the set when I found it at the sale, still in the living room. The water rings on top were always there. That model and also the "Emperor" which was it's rectangular screen counterpart are the heaviest combos I too have ever moved. The original owner, Mr. John Webber was an accountant if I remember right. His wife Dorothy still seems to be with us at age 96. From what I recall, she moved to assisted living when they had the estate sale. They had another Zenith combo in the basement, a '67 model, but it was badly water damaged from the floods we had in the Chicago area during an April 2013 rainstorm that dropped 7" of water in less than 8 hours. Anyone who lived here had some form of water in their basements during that event. It was terrible.

DSC02916 by drh4683, on Flickr

Last edited by drh4683; 03-16-2017 at 07:35 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 08:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is the set at least responding to remote signals? Do you hear the volume stepper relay clicking when you press the on/off volume button on the remote? Do any of the other pilot relays click when you press the remote buttons?

For what it's worth, sometimes the volume stepper relay gets stuck, not from lack of lubrication, but because the friction tape the factory wrapped around the relay armature as a noise dampener gets a little tacky and thus "sticks" to the stopper bracket when it's in it's resting position. It will literally get stuck within hours even if you pop it free if you don't clean it or re-tape it. I just wrap a new piece of electrical tape around the armature to stop the sticking. Heres a photo showing the black tape on the armature on the stepper relay (upper right in this photo). Even if this isn't the case, it's something worth remembering as it's been a known troublemaker to stop the stepper relay from working.

DSC04564 by drh4683, on Flickr
Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the info doug. I will definitely use the electrical tape to re wrap the volume stepper relay. I do hear the relays trying to respond to the remote signals.
Audiokarma
Old 03-16-2017, 08:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Doug. Its really nice to know the history of a tv. You've given me a lot of good technical advice also. Much appreciated. The set will be well taken care of. I was just watching an Ed Sullivan color show with the original commercials. It looked really good on this set. As you already know, these vintage sets are a work in progress. Just trying to preserve a little tv history.
Old 03-17-2017, 08:26 AM
M is for Memory

Please keep conversation on this combo limited to one thread. It makes it harder to follow your work if you keep making new threads about it, and clutters the forum with basically duplicate topics.

-Dictated, not read MGMT.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 03-17-2017, 09:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Please keep conversation on this combo limited to one thread. It makes it harder to follow your work if you keep making new threads about it, and clutters the forum with basically duplicate topics.
Thank you!

Old 03-17-2017, 10:41 AM
VideoKarma Member

Will do. Sorry about that.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:57 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Response to randomly generated ultrasonic tones is the nature of the beast....My SC600 Avanti comes on by it's self any time I vacuum in the room it is in.
Yup and they can be defiant buggers too. Triggering them deliberately without a remote is very hard in my experience.

I should vacuum that room soon... perhaps I will pull the Sanyo's main power switch beforehand to see if anything happens. I vacuum the main room fairly often - I have to as I frequently make a mess working on stuff - but my Heathkit GR-2000 is never powered on by the sound.
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2017, 08:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
This isn't the same chancellor set that Captainmoody had it is? If so, it was mine before Dwight got it.

Fine tuning issues is one or two things. This era of Zenith used an "O-ring" as a drive belt for the fine tuner. Typically, the original O-ring breaks due to age. A simple hardware store replacement works just fine. The 2nd issue is that the fine tuning gear that's attached to the shaft (inside the tuner) that is driven by the O-ring belt develops a small hairline crack and the gear spins on the shaft, thus not enabling fine tuning. It's a splined shaft that the gear is pressed over. It doesn't actually need to be replaced, but rather, remove the fine tuning gear, find the hairline crack alone the gear tooth (typically easy to find), add a drop of super glue in the crack and spin the shaft to spread the glue until the gear adheres to the shaft and you're good to go.
I took the tuner out. Does the o-ring go around point one and two? Fine tuning is done by pushing in shaft (arrow one) and then turning. Any assistance appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tuner2.jpg (83.0 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg tuner1.jpg (80.3 KB, 24 views)
Old 04-13-2017, 09:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

You're exactly correct in how the fine tuner works.