Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-28-2017, 10:27 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip Chester View Post
I like that the illustration shows the model carrying it with one hand, not a care in the world. The set is probably 40-50 pounds maybe?

Perhaps the DC option was for vacation/hunting cabins, with 10 car batteries in tow. But I doubt the late 50s were quite so media-centric as we are today.

Chip
The ad has an artist's rendition of a lady carrying it, without a struggle.
The ad also states, that the set turns itself on and off, by just opening and closing the lid. Not true, on the newer one! The push-pull power switch is on the brightness control and has to be pulled out to turn on. The spring steel bracket on the lid shuts it off.
Old 03-18-2017, 10:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

I bought one about 1 1/2 years ago. It was an easy restoration electronically and is a good performer. The problem is someone recovered the red in contact paper. Trying to remove the contact paper caused the red to rip. I tried recovering the lid with new red and made a mess of it, so I'm not sure where to go from here. I'm just displaying it and watching it occasionally as it with no lid.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20170318_112134 (2).jpg (61.1 KB, 30 views)
Old 03-18-2017, 01:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The ad has an artist's rendition of a lady carrying it, without a struggle.
The ad also states, that the set turns itself on and off, by just opening and closing the lid. Not true, on the newer one! The push-pull power switch is on the brightness control and has to be pulled out to turn on. The spring steel bracket on the lid shuts it off.
The artist missed quite badly in accurately capturing the look of the TV's screen , the artist's rendition of the CRT and it's mask look nothing like the actual TV to me ...
Old 03-19-2017, 09:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

I just saw one on Craigslist in Apex, NC for $250. Cosmetically excellent but not working.
Old 03-19-2017, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug66 View Post
I just saw one on Craigslist in Apex, NC for $250. Cosmetically excellent but not working.
I have more invested in mine, than I normally would've, as it's not a real valuable piece. Not like a Predicta or so, but I liked it. Appearance wise, it's decent. I could easily have a little over $100 in it, as the new CRT was over $50, with shipping.
$250 is a little steep, for a set of that calibre!
Audiokarma