Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-13-2017, 02:36 PM
<----Zenith C845

FCC channel repack and Roku players; effect (if any) of ATSC 3.0 on Roku boxes

I asked a question recently regarding whether the FCC repack of US television channels will affect Roku streaming video players using the Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) application, but have yet to receive any responses. Since the Roku player deals only with video streams, not actual RF television broadcast signals, I do not believe the repack would have any effect on Roku boxes unless an area's local TV stations were on channels 38-51. My area, 30 miles east of Cleveland, is served by channels 3.1, 5.1, 8.1, 19.1, 25.1, 43.1 and 61.1, so I am not expecting the repack to affect any but the last two channels; if my Roku player then refuses to receive these stations, it will be no loss to me, since I don't watch those channels (or their DTV subchannels) very often, if at all.

Thank goodness the proposed new ATSC standard (3.0) will not do away with ATSC 1.0; in fact, from what I have read so far about the new standard, cable companies will not be required to carry TV signals broadcast in ATSC 3.0 and will in fact be able to carry signals broadcast under both standards. This information is from a recent edition of TV Technology Newsbytes, the newsletter of the TV industry, which I have had a subscription to for about two years now.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 02-15-2017, 02:09 PM
<----Zenith C845

Does anybody read this forum anymore? I posted a thread here several days ago and asked a question to which I need an answer. The question was in regard to the FCC repack of US television channels and what effect, if any, it will have on Roku streaming video players. I do not want to buy another converter box if I do not need to.

Please answer this post as soon as possible. Thank you.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:37 PM
M is for Memory

Your too verbose for someone like me that lacks time to read through.

The simple answer is you will have to wait and see. IIRC you use that player to run an app from TWC that supplies you with channels they carry including local OTA.

Until the repack info gets published, and info is released as to whether all your locals will stay on air there is no way to know or answer with certainty.

Also even if all your channels stay on air there is no way to know if the TWC will keep the channels you want in the app or continue the app, or if Roku will continue supporting the app.

Watching local TV through such a supply chain is like standing on a house of cards and asking when it is going to fall...Too many factors with too little info regarding each to say when. It could last 10 years it could be gone tomorrow.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 02-15-2017, 04:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Too verbose, and it also comes across as a little too demanding and impatient. We don't have any more info than you do, Jeff. And you're asking for concrete answers to things that are presently unknowable or are mere speculation.

Please relax and enjoy your working setup, and address whatever issues there may be as they come. In other words, only worry about the things that you can control. It does no good to fuss over what may or may not come.
Old 02-15-2017, 05:08 PM
<----Zenith C845

For what it is worth, I just spoke on the phone with a Time Warner Cable customer service representative about a half hour ago. The person told me TWC has not heard anything to date as to the TWC Roku app being discontinued or changed; in fact, I was told nothing will change in the foreseeeable future, so I have nothing to be concerned about at this time. The TWC representative also told me that one cannot believe everything one reads on the Internet.

BTW, the reason I am so concerned about losing my television reception is because I rely on the TV to get the news. I have great difficulty reading due to having had a bad accident in which I hit my head, hard, among other things (I consider myself very fortunate to have survived the accident) about ten years ago, and in fact I have problems seeing my television picture as well, despite wearing very strong eyeglasses. The mini channel guide on my Roku player has a very small font that I can hardly read from a distance; my television is about ten feet away from my easy chair, so the guide and any other letters, writing, etc. on the screen are ordinarily so small I cannot read them without squinting.

I am 60 years old and do not expect this situation to change any time soon; in fact, as I age, it will almost certainly get worse. My hearing is also quite bad; I am almost deaf in my right ear and cannot hear high frequency sounds in my left ear, so hearing and understanding female voices on TV is very difficult for me; I also cannot hear my stereo system normally through headphones (I had to set it so that it plays monophonically, even on stereo FM radio and CDs).

Please do not criticize me or second-guess me on any of what I just wrote. I am definitely not making any of this up; the problems I mentioned are the result of a brain injury I sustained when I was born, so I have been living with them all my life and will have them the rest of my life. I don't see you criticizing VK members such as Captainclock (Eli) in Elkhart, Indiana, who has far more severe problems (autism, et al.) than I do, so why on earth are you picking on me? It is not polite to ignore or make fun of a person's disabilities. How would you feel if you were in my position and all people did was make fun of you? I had to put up with just this type of behavior for years from the kids I grew up with in my old neighborhood near Cleveland; in fact, there was one girl who lived down the road from me, who, every time she would see me, would point at me and chant, over and over again, "M. R.! M. R.! M. R.!" M. R. stands for "mentally retarded," which I definitely was not then and am not now, and the constant mocking of my affiliction hurt my feelings badly.

Audiokarma
Old 02-15-2017, 05:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

///

Last edited by andy; 11-18-2021 at 05:08 PM.