Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
complete novice

who made this radio chassis?

I picked this up a few years back on epay, partially recapped it, it worked fair. Works pretty good now after i restuffed the paper can and replaced a tube socket. Yes theres a zenith front panel off to the side that came with it, but it doesnt come close to fitting the knobs. The knobs on it are from an old sonora i had. So..what is this?

Last edited by jbivy; 03-26-2012 at 05:01 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

There was so many chassis of that type. The was the tubes and IF transformers were mounted, it is out of a radio phono table combo. When replying, include some of the part numbers of the major components, ie, the IF transformers, speaker, output transformer, tuning condenser. It could be a Warwick built, Silvertone.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:43 PM
complete novice

Well the speaker says its part # 49cz602, then below that 343823, the transformer says 843819, well the one paper can says zenith on it but..its part22-1707ao. Beyond that, i think the previous owner did a good job sanding and steel wooling this thing to have near no numbers on it.

Perhaps it could have been a zenith and the front plate went to the missing record player section?

Ive just been bored and tinkered with this a bit.

Last edited by jbivy; 03-26-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Given the rear direction of the tubes I am thinking some kind of economy chairside radio. Dial facing up, tubes down for service. Just a guess.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbivy View Post
Well the speaker says its part # 49cz602, then below that 343823, the transformer says 843819, well the one paper can says zenith on it but..its part22-1707ao. Beyond that, i think the previous owner did a good job sanding and steel wooling this thing to have near no numbers on it.

Perhaps it could have been a zenith and the front plate went to the missing record player section?

Ive just been bored and tinkered with this a bit.
It definately is a Zenith chassis from a table model combo. It was built in the early part of 1948. The speaker is a genuine Zenith-made speaker. I'll look at Riders 17-19 and see if there is a chassis that looks simular.
Audiokarma
Old 03-26-2012, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Zenith model 6R886. Chassis 6E02. Information found in Riders Vol. 17. Zenith pages 16&17. An interesting design.
Old 03-26-2012, 11:32 PM
complete novice

Thanks a ton, i was wondering what this old girl was.