Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Is this worth it?

A little back story. My father was in the military right after the Korean War. He was injured and medically retired in 1959. He went to TV repair school in Lexington Ky. After graduation we moved to Daytona Beach FL. There my dad was a TV repairman for 25 years (till sometime in the 80s). We lost him in 2010 (85).

As a child (10-12) after school I would walk to his shop (the building still exist, see pic) and I would sit in the showroom and watch cartoons. Some days I would go out on service calls with him. He would carry this big tube caddy and I would carry some test equipment. He really liked me to go when he was going on a service call for an elderly lady (lots of them in FL). He would use me to distract the lady so he could work. Many of these elderly ladies did not get a lot of visitors so they loved to talk.

I would only go if he would take me to Krystal Hamburger afterwards and buy me a chocolate covered donut. To this day (50 years later) I can’t pass one up.

I recently acquired this set (see pic). It is identical to the one we had setting in our living room. My dad used to play Johnny Cash records on the turn table.

It has been setting in the same living room since new. The lady who gave it to me was clearing her father’s estate and she was not sure when he bought it.

I do not have any TV repair experience other than above, but I am electronics savvy, can follow a schematic and I have watched a bunch of YouTube videos. I have no test equipment other than a multi-meter.

It does not come on. Is it possible for me to repair? I know if I still had my dad we could get it done. So hopefully I can “adopt” one of you to stand in for him.

If I get positive responses I will post the brand/model number/chassis number when I find them.

Thanks

Duane Craig
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tv store.jpg (93.8 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg tv.jpg (41.5 KB, 137 views)
Old 05-20-2019, 10:18 PM
M is for Memory

Probably fixable.

You may need more test equipment.

If you plan to go as far as you can with a DMM then you need the Sam's schematic for the set to do meaningful voltage checks. To find the sams for it you'll need the chassis and or model number.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 05-21-2019, 12:01 AM
The Resident Brony

It's only worth what it's worth to you.

I'm assuming it's a tube set? You may eventually need to find someone with a tube tester. But for now, start by figuring out what level of 'doesn't turn on' you're dealing with.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Start with the stereo, that should be easy. Post a few chassis pics,
the make, model & chassis number. Look at the layout chart for
fuses etc. May also have a breaker on the main TV chassis. Small red
button,. Push to reset.
If you try the TV DO NOT run it for more than one minute unless
a raster comes on !

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 05-21-2019, 10:18 AM
60s Throwback

Be careful not to let out the magic smoke!!
Audiokarma