Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-17-2011, 04:51 PM
VideoKarma Member

1950's DuMont Teleset Model RA-170

Here is a DuMont black and white set I got this weekend at an estate sale. I didn't want to undo the ratchet straps as it still needs to be taken to my building in downtown Midland. It was nearer to bring it home first so it is still on the trailer. This is still a fairly high-performance set with 4 IF stages. The CRT is a 21FP4A, it looks fairly deep, is this a 70 degree CRT?
I'll show the front once I get it unloaded.

Also I got a late 60's Motorola 20" or so color tube type table model which was still hooked up in a built in cabinet in a billiards room.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 227237_210529662311145_100000623388403_647931_1375426_n.jpg (91.2 KB, 147 views)
File Type: jpg dumont2.jpg (83.5 KB, 70 views)
File Type: jpg dumont3.jpg (69.9 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg dumont4.jpg (73.0 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg dumont6.jpg (66.3 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Nice Blond !
The 21FP4A is indeed 70 degrees, 23" in length and has a cylindrical contour face.
Who is the 4 legged "inspector"?
jr
Old 05-17-2011, 05:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

The 21FP4 is a self-focus 70 degree CRT. It has a cylindrical face.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Chad, first, congradulations on a decent find. in the area where i live, when i was collecting sets, i could find just about every brand but Dumont. yours is in amazingly good shape considering the age.

i saw the you-tube video that you posted with the rejuvenator connected. in the video, you stated that you could not get it to rejuvenate or get any kind of emission during the test. allthough you gave the filament plenty of warmup time. i also noticed that there was no crt "brightener" attached to the tube on the first video that you took of the set. to me, that indicates that the tube was was not killed by the brightener.

the only conclusion that i could come up with is that someone in the past killed the crt by going "overboard" with their rejuvenator, OR, one (or more) of the pins on the crt plug on the neck of the tube is making a bad connection. the best thing to do (before giving up on the tube entirely) is to heat the pins on the crt plug with a soldering gun. that might be where the problem is. i run accross this same problem on a set that i restored years ago. the tube almost got sent to the trash, but as a last resort, i tried heating the pins up & found that the tube was pretty healthy.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Your kitty has a very fluffy tail. Over in AudioKarma, there's a very long thread about cats and audio equipment. http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=193866 Maybe a thread on pictures of cats on TV sets would be in order.
Old 05-21-2011, 05:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

The cat always is interested in things we're working on!

I tried re-flowing the solder on the pins of the CRT but no luck.

The weird thing is, is that it did show some emission for a few seconds several times when the tester was first connected and I turned the filament voltage up to 9 volts. When the filament voltage was kept at 6.3, no emission. This only occured 2 or 3 times when the CRT tester was turned on after leaving it off several minutes.

After these few times, it never showed emission again, and when it did it was only for a few seconds. I maybe better check my tester again with a known good CRT but it seemed to give legitimate readings on some color CRT's several months ago.

The filament on the DuMont CRT is still working but still no emission.
Old 05-21-2011, 06:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Try cooking the CRT heater at 8 volts or so for several hours. I've heard they can sometimes come up after being asleep for decades.

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-21-2011, 02:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
The cat always is interested in things we're working on!

I tried re-flowing the solder on the pins of the CRT but no luck.

The weird thing is, is that it did show some emission for a few seconds several times when the tester was first connected and I turned the filament voltage up to 9 volts. When the filament voltage was kept at 6.3, no emission. This only occured 2 or 3 times when the CRT tester was turned on after leaving it off several minutes.
that sounds like a intermitant connection somewhere. it could be where one of the welds have broke loose internally eg; control grid, g2, cathode, etc. or it could be the socket adaptor on the end of the rejuvenator that might be making a poor connection. i have seen that happen too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hauris View Post
After these few times, it never showed emission again, and when it did it was only for a few seconds. I maybe better check my tester again with a known good CRT but it seemed to give legitimate readings on some color CRT's several months ago.
yes, but those were using different socket adaptors, weren't they?

one other thing that i would like to suggest is that since you are working on these vintage sets is to get a rejuvenator from that era, like a B+K model 440 CT. that works the best on them old tubes. i happened to find out a long time ago that the rejuvenators that were made in the 70's - 80's did not do a very good job of rejuvenating the old type of crts like the one that you are dealing with now. in fact, on some vintage crts they would not rejuvenate at all with the modern rejuvenator. that is why i kept this old B+K & refurbished it, it would do the job that the other one would not.