Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-05-2016, 12:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoogarXR View Post
I didn't get a lot of the older westinghouse TVs. I do remember working on one that looked like that, that had a problem with the mainboard overheating. It would run for a few minutes then the screen would scramble and it would lock up. If I pointed a fan at it, it would run flawlessly.

I realize that doesn't help much in your situation.

Where I worked, we got in truckloads of store-return TVs. My boss wouldn't let me spend time on TVs that wouldn't sell for much in our retail store. So Westinghouse, Polaroid, Element, etc, I just looked them over. If I didn't have them fixed in about 30 minutes, they got torn down for parts on the eBay store. Funny, off-brand parts (at that time) sold for more than the big names- so that was further motivation to not spend much time on them.
Interesting. Do you think it might be worth a shot at buying another power supply/inverter board from ebay for this unit and seeing if that fixes the issue?
Old 05-05-2016, 01:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

"I don't have an ESR Tester, and the only problem is that all the ESR Testers I've seen on eBay need to be assembled from a kit and I don't have much experience assembling things from scratch, that's my only hesitation with buying an ESR Tester, plus all of the preassembled ESR testers are over $100 or more at places like Allied."

Check again... there are many esr testers on eBay that are in the $12 to $25 range that are assembled. Many are "bare board" units that you might want to package in a nice enclosure if you so desire, but thes units are fully assembled and just require a 9 Volt battery to operate.

jr
Old 05-05-2016, 01:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
"I don't have an ESR Tester, and the only problem is that all the ESR Testers I've seen on eBay need to be assembled from a kit and I don't have much experience assembling things from scratch, that's my only hesitation with buying an ESR Tester, plus all of the preassembled ESR testers are over $100 or more at places like Allied."

Check again... there are many esr testers on eBay that are in the $12 to $25 range that are assembled. Many are "bare board" units that you might want to package in a nice enclosure if you so desire, but thes units are fully assembled and just require a 9 Volt battery to operate.

jr
Yeah, that's the problem, I'm not very handy with building things like cases out of wood, and as proof of how bad I am at working with wood, I had to build a simple wooden box for 4-H one year and it got me a red ribbon because I didn't do a very good job at making the joints and the finish wasn't done very well either. If I were to get myself something like that I would rather have something that's already assembled and already cased up, but I don't want to pay over $100 for that kind of thing though either.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
I had to build a simple wooden box for 4-H one year and it got me a red ribbon because I didn't do a very good job at making the joints and the finish wasn't done very well either.
I'm a city boy, so haven't had any experience with farming organizations like 4-H (IIRC 4-H is a rural farming thing, about cows and growing stuff that gets converted to food by major corporations to be sold at supermarkets).
I would have thought that your bad work would just be passed over, getting no awards instead of a "bad job" award...
Old 05-05-2016, 01:31 PM
VideoKarma Member

But they don't need to be packaged, many of us just use them naked.

Here is the best selling one on Amazon...not an offshore seller that will have slow delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Yosoo-Display-...ords=esr+meter

not affiliated,
jr

Last edited by jr_tech; 05-05-2016 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Audiokarma
Old 05-05-2016, 01:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa2ise View Post
I'm a city boy, so haven't had any experience with farming organizations like 4-H (IIRC 4-H is a rural farming thing, about cows and growing stuff that gets converted to food by major corporations to be sold at supermarkets).
I would have thought that your bad work would just be passed over, getting no awards instead of a "bad job" award...
In 4-H you get different ribbons like a white ribbon (3rd place), Red Ribbon (2nd place), Blue Ribbon (1st place), Reserve Champion, and State Fair Entry. By the way 4-H is more than just Agriculture, they have projects ranging in fashion, art, electrical, food, woodworking and more.
Old 05-05-2016, 01:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
But they don't need to be packaged, many of us just use them naked.

Here is the best selling one on Amazon...not an offshore seller that will have slow delivery.

http://www.amazon.com/Yosoo-Display-...ords=esr+meter

not affiliated,
jr
OK. but with my luck I'd break the darn thing if it wasn't cased up in someway, shape or form.
Old 05-11-2016, 03:57 PM
Banned

I think I'm just going to try and get another power/inverter board from ebay for the TV and see if that does the trick. I don't think its worth trying to monkey around with trying to figure out which capacitors are responsible with killing the TV set. The TV doesn't have its original remote so I'm going to have to probably search for one on ebay.
Old 05-11-2016, 06:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Power supply & remote = more than that set is worth.
Old 05-11-2016, 07:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WISCOJIM View Post
Power supply & remote = more than that set is worth.
Really... I kind of doubt that. Of course considering the source here (you are the one who constantly trolls me on here in practically every thread I've posted on here) I think you're just saying that to just be a troll as usual. I know for a fact that I've been able to get used TV remotes on ebay for as little as $5 and free shipping, the power supply and inverter board for this particular TV was selling for as low as $20 and free shipping on ebay, and considering you can sell one of these sets for as much as $100 there's still plenty of room to make money on this TV yet. So keep your negative nelly comments to yourself!
Audiokarma
Old 05-11-2016, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the childish name-calling.

My comment on the TV had nothing to do with you. Don't be so paranoid.

My comment was based on it being a 9-year old 720p Westinghouse. That's all.

Old 05-11-2016, 08:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
considering you can sell one of these sets for as much as $100 there's still plenty of room to make money on this TV yet.
Couple of things to consider here:
1. The power supply board might not fix the problem or other serious problems might be discovered, such as a bad screen.
2. A brand new 32 inch Westinghouse sells for about $130 on Amazon...possibly cheaper in discount stores...Why would anybody spend $100 for an old one with no warranty?

jr
Old 05-12-2016, 08:44 AM
Stuck in the past!

This is why I pass these up when I see them.
Old 05-12-2016, 07:18 PM
<----Zenith C845

There was a large-screen Westinghouse flat panel TV last year beside the trash barrels behind my apartment. I have no clue as to why it was being discarded, but I'm glad I left it where it was. I have read about the power supply problems these sets are prone to, and figured I would be better off without it.

I haven't seen another Westinghouse FP since then. Who makes these sets? I very seriously doubt it was any reputable manufacturer, which would explain why the PS boards go bad so often.

If I were to guess, however, I'd say the Westinghouse branded FPs were then and are to this day made offshore, like all other flat screens. The only American TV manufacturer left is Motorola, unless they too left our shores (as I am almost certain they did) and are now turning out short-lived FPs. Motorola was a great brand of television (I had a Motorola 21-23" b&w console, a trash find in my home town, in the '70s that worked very well) when they were making b&w and color NTSC TVs; it is a darn shame their sets' quality went downhill, not unlike Zenith when that company left Chicago.

If anyone here knows if Motorola is still making flat screens (or if they ever did), please let me know. Many Chinese and/or Japanese no-name electronics firms make the chassis for these TVs, which are subsequently rebranded using the names of former American TV giants like Zenith, Magnavox, RCA, et al.

Nice try, but this junk does not deserve to bear the name of any former great TV manufacturer; in fact, I believe it gives these companies, especially Zenith and RCA, a very, very bad name. This is exactly why, when my flat screen finally quits, I will bring out my 19" Zenith Sentry 2 to replace it. I am not that impressed with high definition TV, so going back to a 19" CRT set will not bother me in the least. This is the same thing, IIRC, that VK member Kamakiri has said he will do when his flat screen quits, and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of other folks will do the same when their FPs do the same; that is, unless they made the mistake of throwing away their CRT TV when they got the flat screen. I will have no sympathy whatsoever for these people when (not if) they are left without TV (if they cannot afford a new FP) after the flat set quits. They were asking for it.

Update (5-12-16 8:28 PM EDST): I just looked up Westinghouse TV on Google, and found that they are (at least they say they are) the leading LCD TV manufacturer in the world. Perhaps they have gotten most if not all the bugs out of their flat screens, and the sets now being sold are much more reliable than the early ones. I have no idea how old the Westinghouse FP I mentioned earlier in this post (the one behind my apartment) was, but I would guess it was an earlier model; that or else it was used a lot, failing due to the usual reasons FPs bite the dust (exploded capacitors, et al.). The owner put it out with the trash and didn't look back.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 05-12-2016 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 08:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
There was a large-screen Westinghouse flat panel TV last year beside the trash barrels behind my apartment. I have no clue as to why it was being discarded, but I'm glad I left it where it was. I have read about the power supply problems these sets are prone to, and figured I would be better off without it.

I haven't seen another Westinghouse FP since then. Who makes these sets? I very seriously doubt it was any reputable manufacturer, which would explain why the PS boards go bad so often.

If I were to guess, however, I'd say the Westinghouse branded FPs were then and are to this day made offshore, like all other flat screens. The only American TV manufacturer left is Motorola, unless they too left our shores (as I am almost certain they did) and are now turning out short-lived FPs. Motorola was a great brand of television (I had a Motorola 21-23" b&w console, a trash find in my home town, in the '70s that worked very well) when they were making b&w and color NTSC TVs; it is a darn shame their sets' quality went downhill, not unlike Zenith when that company left Chicago.

If anyone here knows if Motorola is still making flat screens (or if they ever did), please let me know. Many Chinese and/or Japanese no-name electronics firms make the chassis for these TVs, which are subsequently rebranded using the names of former American TV giants like Zenith, Magnavox, RCA, et al.

Nice try, but this junk does not deserve to bear the name of any former great TV manufacturer; in fact, I believe it gives these companies, especially Zenith and RCA, a very, very bad name. This is exactly why, when my flat screen finally quits, I will bring out my 19" Zenith Sentry 2 to replace it. I am not that impressed with high definition TV, so going back to a 19" CRT set will not bother me in the least. This is the same thing, IIRC, that VK member Kamakiri has said he will do when his flat screen quits, and it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of other folks will do the same when their FPs do the same; that is, unless they made the mistake of throwing away their CRT TV when they got the flat screen. I will have no sympathy whatsoever for these people when (not if) they are left without TV (if they cannot afford a new FP) after the flat set quits. They were asking for it.

Update (5-12-16 8:28 PM EDST): I just looked up Westinghouse TV on Google, and found that they are (at least they say they are) the leading LCD TV manufacturer in the world. Perhaps they have gotten most if not all the bugs out of their flat screens, and the sets now being sold are much more reliable than the early ones. I have no idea how old the Westinghouse FP I mentioned earlier in this post (the one behind my apartment) was, but I would guess it was an earlier model; that or else it was used a lot, failing due to the usual reasons FPs bite the dust (exploded capacitors, et al.). The owner put it out with the trash and didn't look back.
As far as I know Motorola got out of the Consumer electronics business back in the early 1970s selling their consumer electronics arm off to Matsushita Electronics Co. Ltd. of Tokyo, Japan aka the parent company of Panasonic and Quasar (which the Quasar brand name came about because Matsushita bought the Quasar name from Motorola) so I'm sorry to say that Motorola does not make TVs or radios anymore and haven't made them for over 40 years. Mostly Motorola just makes 2-way radios, Pagers and Cell Phones now.

I never said that flat-panels were good TVs I was just saying that basically the only thing you can do now if you want to stay in the TV/consumer electronics repair business is basically just repair failed Flat Panel TVs for people or for yourself, even if the profit margin isn't as big as it was with the CRT TVs. Anyways I agree with you I think that ATSC was the worst thing to happen to Television. I realize that a lot of people love the new dtv but in reality it just doesn't stack up agaisnt a good NTSC signal because unlike NTSC, ATSC leaves you with only 2 options either you have signal or you don't whereas with NTSC you at least had a picture and sound even if you didn't have the greatest signal. Also the audio quality leaves little to be desired ATSC TVs have the worst audio quality in the world I believe because since TVs are no thicker than a wall clock you are stuck with using horrible quality speakers that make the audio sound tinny and malformed.

Thankfully I have was able to get a hold of a few old Analog TVs (CRT units) that were just going to be junked and so I'm set for when my Flat Panels finally die. I have a nice 2000 vintage 27" Sony Trinitron TV, a 2004 vintage 27" Toshiba CRT TV, a 1986 vintage Zenith 9" Portable Color TV that can run off of 12 Volt car adaptor or 120v AC Adaptor (its one of the famous Zenith "Cube" TVs), a 1968 Sony 9" B & W TV, and a 1981 Vintage 9" Montgomery Wards Portable Color TV.

Anyways All I was trying to do was see if I could get this TV going and see if I could sell it to someone who might need a TV, that's all and yes I realize the "Westinghouse" name on this TV is not the same Westinghouse that made TVs 50 years ago here in America, that's not why I bought this TV from the salvage bin at work, I bought it because I figured that it would be something that if it wasn't working right I could see about fixing it up and then reselling it even if I don't make much of a profit off of it.
Audiokarma