Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-19-2008, 02:23 AM
<----Zenith C845

Question about line-cord FM antennas

In radios with line-cord antennas (with a coupling device that fits over a section of the cord and attaches to the FM terminal), is it possible to simply slip the coupler off an old cord and reinstall it on a replacement cord? I have a Zenith MJ1035 on which I had to replace the line cord and would like to reuse the coupler. Was there any kind of special wiring involved with these couplers, i.e. a separate wire that connected from the coupler to the FM terminal board? Also, I am at a loss to figure out exactly how to install the coupler on my set's replacement cord, as the replacement has thicker insulation than the original; with the small cardboard insulator inserted in the coupler, I am having a very difficult time installing the coupler on the new cord. Spent about an hour and a half a few nights ago trying to do just that, then gave up and put a length of wire on the FM antenna terminal. (I am finding it nearly impossible as well to open the clip with a pair of pliers so as to allow it to accept a larger diameter cord--I am half afraid to try for fear of snapping the device apart, as it seems to be made of very rigid metal that resists bending.) I will use a piece of wire wrapped around the cord and connected to the FM terminal (as suggested by Chad some time ago) as a last resort, but I'd like to get the coupler working first if at all possible. Would there be any problem with shock hazards, etc. if I simply slipped the coupler over the line cord without using the cardboard insulator or is there something else I don't know about yet (besides eliminating the shock hazard) this insulator did, such as coupling the cord to the receiver's RF input without using a physical length of wire? I think it must have had some purpose in Zenith radios, at least in the MJ1035s, as the one on mine seems to be lined with some kind of metallic material.

Thanks in advance.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.