Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-11-2004, 08:45 AM
Huh?

Is this thing a capacitor?

Greetings, all:
This is my first post in this forum, though I see some familiar names here

Here's my problem. I have an Airline radio model GEN1538A that's not fancy or expensive, but I like the way it looks. It has some hum, which I believe I can fix by replacing the filter (electrolytic? I forget the term) cap.
Oh, it's a solid state radio, so I hope it's okay to post this here.
Anyhoo, I've replaced these caps a couple of times in the past and it was always obvious which ones needed replacing. I'm not too sure with this one.
The most likely suspect is this wax-covered thing about the size of a roll of Life Savers. It doesn't look like what I was expecting, but I've heard the term "wax-covered caps" so often here that I figured it's what I'm looking for. This is like, a mid-60's model, so I was surprised to find something that seemed so old-fashioned inside.
Okay, this is what's written on the cap in question:
======================
Cosmic Condensor Co. 704
E3264
Red + 150M 150WV
Grn + 50M 150WV
Black Com Negative
=====================
I'm guessing this is some multi-part cap?? Do yall think it's what I should replace to cure the hum? And what should I replace it with? Perhaps a 150M and a 50M cap with the negative leads soldered together?
Or would something like that blow up? Considering my skill level, that's a distinct possibility!
TIA for your help.
Bob
Old 11-11-2004, 08:56 AM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-o-matic
And what should I replace it with? Perhaps a 150M and a 50M cap with the negative leads soldered together?
Yep..it's a multi-cap and you answered correctly. Use axial lead caps and insulate the positive side leads with insulation pulled off of 20-18 ga. hookup wire. Solder the negative leads together back to the same place the negative lead originally came from. P.E. should have these in stock. It's okay if you have to go up a bit in voltage ratings.

Let me live in the house beside the road and be a friend to man.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:56 AM
On Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by veg-o-matic
Or would something like that blow up? Considering my skill level, that's a distinct possibility!
It will only blow if you put it in backwards. I found that out the hard way years ago when I recapped my 2nd vintage radio. Talk about made a big mess!

When you purchase your caps, you may not find a 50mfd. Usually, you'll find a 47mfd and that will work just fine. As Celt mentioned, going higher on the voltage is fine... just do not go lower.

He who dies with the most toys still dies.