Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-31-2014, 08:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looking for this console stereo. Can anyone help me?

Here is a pic of a console stereo my mom and dad had many years ago. I'm tring to find another one just like it. Does anyone have any idea what brand it would be and whete i could get one?

Old 04-06-2014, 04:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

No one has ever seen one of these? Did Fisher make consoles?
Old 04-06-2014, 09:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

pays to look around on craigslist, Ive seen similar ones frequently.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:20 PM
M is for Memory

If the center doors house a TV and you have a picture of that TV it can help Id the make and year.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 04-08-2014, 12:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
If the center doors house a TV and you have a picture of that TV it can help Id the make and year.
There was no tv. Just simulated doors.
Audiokarma
Old 04-08-2014, 07:10 PM
BigDavesTV

Hello pac.attack! I can tell you 100 per cent for sure, that stereo console in the photo is a General Electric, from about 1970. I had one identical to it, I sold it about 3 years ago, fully working! It was all solid state, no TV in it. The cabinet was an Italian Provincial, I did know the model name at one time, I can't remember it now. It had sealed speaker chambers, and sounded quite nice. Hope this information helps you locate one, Dave.
Old 04-08-2014, 07:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavesTV View Post
Hello pac.attack! I can tell you 100 per cent for sure, that stereo console in the photo is a General Electric, from about 1970. I had one identical to it, I sold it about 3 years ago, fully working! It was all solid state, no TV in it. The cabinet was an Italian Provincial, I did know the model name at one time, I can't remember it now. It had sealed speaker chambers, and sounded quite nice. Hope this information helps you locate one, Dave.
Oh Dave your a lifesaver. I just wish you still had yours. Mind if i ask what it went for?. I'll check around online and please, if anyone finds one, let me know.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:37 AM
VideoKarma Member

I am SO glad to finally see some interest in the "long" stereos of the 60s and 70s. Until recent years they had almost zero value. I would often see seemingly little or even unused examples in superb condition for say $20 or even less in thrift stores. Most probably went the way of the dumpster when the didn't sell.

Many would have all the original paperwork, owners manual or whatnot in them and some the paper instruction sheet on the phono spindle. I often tried to justify a purchase in my head, but I always talk myself out of it. I already have a ton of great and useless component stereo equipment as it stands. But what I know when I see one of these was that they normally had a great sound and if you appreciate cabinetry then you will see many great looking designs.

Anyway, I have seen this and another thread about the big stereos and I am completely behind people getting interested in them. I would think that the core of interested people would be a bit younger than folks hoarding pre war TV sets. Same with the folks in the Solid State Rectangular Tube forum. I always think younger folks. I hope so anyway. Somebody has to keep yesterday's dreams alive. I use an early 80s Panasonic 19" TV HEAVILY in my bedroom. It's just a TV to me, but I remember once offering it to a single mom who needed a TV for her son's room and she turned it down because it had a turret tuner and to her wasn't "cable ready" as they say. I was and am appalled, but I am glad I kept the thing. It's just a TV to me, so I could never see trying to restore something of that era. Frankly, if it only has one tube (a c.r.t.) I am not interested in taking the back off....
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

I'm almost 40 and these things have always interested me. i se them now days going for$10 well up in the triple digit range. I have a Zenith right now that i only paid $10 and it came with paperwork. I love almost all tv sets up till about 2000. With the exception of a Zenirh console in mint condition from 2001. If anyone's interested in seeing, i was thinking about posting about them in the crt section.
Old 04-28-2014, 12:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDavesTV View Post
Do you know who you sold it too. Too bad we couldn't track it down assuming they still have it. Maybe he'd sell.
Audiokarma
Old 06-05-2014, 02:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

If anyone comes across one, please let me know.
Old 06-06-2014, 07:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

About 5 years ago I was seeing console stereos everywhere for give away prices. I imagine they found their way to the dumpster unfortunately. I was often amazed at the supreme condition of them often with all the paperwork, user manual etc. Even the phonograph platters sometimes had the factory paper cover with directions.

I don't seem to see them as much lately, so perhaps they have cycled through the thrifts as all things do. It's all about people aging and letting go of things that they don't need, or never needed in many cases. I remember the good days when all the 50s-60s TVs and radios were in those places. About a decade ago you could find high end vintage stereo equipment easily. Now it's mostly just junk.
Old 06-07-2014, 01:50 PM
VideoKarma Member

I search GE stuff a lot and if I run across one I'll let you know. Keep searching ebay under "GE stereo." Also, not sure how far away from home you would go to get one, but there is a website called Search Tempest that lets you search Craigslist sites all over the US. You can limit it to the number of miles from your city, or the whole country if you want.

Something else to try searching is under "Porta Fi." GE made a lot of stereos with the Porta Fi option that let you set up satellite speakers in other rooms using only the electrical outlet. I have seen many GE stereos that are listed as Porta Fi instead because the seller thinks that's the brand name.

Finally, that unit was probably made in Decatur, Illinois. GE had a factory there that made stereos and record players until the mid 70's.

p.s. Craigslist is not like ebay with their searches. In ebay you can type GE and still get listings that were put in as General Electric. Craigslist doesn't do that, so you have to have two separate searches to get results for both.

Last edited by egrand; 06-07-2014 at 01:59 PM.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the info. I'll try that out. Let me know if you do come up with anything. I'd probably drive a ways for it.
Old 06-08-2014, 04:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Lots of console lovers in the Fisher Forum, seems as they are becoming popular again.
Audiokarma