Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-16-2023, 12:35 PM
...?

1982 Sylvania (Model: CXB166W004)

Picked up this Sylvania a few months back, and had a hell of a time finding information on it. Photos and details are in this reddit post on r/crt:
https://www.reddit.com/r/crt/comment...ania_crt_1982/

I'm not sure if it had a specific name, if it was part of any particular series, or what any of the detailed specifications are. Does anyone have knowledge of it, or resources that might yield more information?
Old 12-16-2023, 01:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Looks like its from the "Super Set" line. Model does not come up in Sams
so you need the chassis number. Usually inside,
sometimes on back also. It looks like a C-3 chassis.
C-3 was a good chassis BUT way over engineered so repairs
could be a PIA.

73 Zeno
LFOD !
Old 12-16-2023, 01:34 PM
...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeno View Post
Looks like its from the "Super Set" line.
Good eye. Looking at photos of other models from that line, the Super Set series definitely seems right. Not seeing any chassis number on the outside, sadly, so I'll have to look for it whenever I get around to opening her up.
Old 12-20-2023, 04:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

I had one like that, and it used an E32 chassis, which was a carry-over from the GTE era. I've also seen that same style of set with a 19C3 and a 19C5 chassis, and those were completely different than the older E32.
Old 12-20-2023, 05:54 PM
VideoKarma Member

My grandparents had the same exact TV when I was growing up, and they used it until it got struck by lightning back in the late 1990s or early 2000s when they then moved it out to their chicken coop (they lived at an old family farm stead that was built by my gr-gr-grandfather in 1920) and its been in the chicken coop since. I always wanted to try and dig it out of their chicken coop and try and fix it up but its kind of burried in their and also the chicken coop is starting to fall down, so I don't think its going to be salvagable unfortunately.

My Grandparents had an old front loader VCR from the early 1980s that had the old style Varactor Tuner built into it hooked up to it that I remember watching movies on it when I was a kid whenever me and my sister would stay the week or weekend with my grandparents, and also they had an old Atari 2600 hooked up to the TV for a while (but I never got to play it because they had it put away before I was old enough to know what it was.)
Audiokarma