Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:43 AM
Followin' the Rules...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Thanks, I'm in the process of moving to WI, I think I'll take you up on that after I get there. (The post office has lost more of my rare parts in the mail at this address than anywhere else I've lived - I'm hoping this problem won't follow me to WI)

The models is 13J45. I don't know the part number for the knob. I don't have the Sams for this, only a partial scan of the Beitmans. (It's in Sams 650-2, and the 1963 Beitmans)
Your Striptrol is, according to Sams, a 33-5600-3. I have 33-5600-7 and 33-5600-11, both quite different.

My striptrols start at 33-5595-8, so most are post-1965 or so. I bought a Philco/Motorola dealer's stock back in 2003, mostly in hope of finding a W-I-T-D Motorola. The Philco stuff was nice, but who needs 300 Philco transistors or pots?
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for looking! At least that resistor I have in there works ok for now.

If it weren't for that ad I posted, I wouldn't have known how much of this cabinet was originally painted silver. I've been experimenting with using Q-tips as small paint brushes to repaint those silver lines on the sides of the screen. It kind of works.

If anyone has any suggestions as to how to redo the "Philco Townhouse" script under the channel number indicator let me know? At first, I noticed it was slightly lower than the rest of the cabinet. So I painted the whole area, then attempted to scrape off / sand off the paint around it, assuming the paint in the lower spots would stay put if I just sanded over the whole thing. But the depressions where the letters were were so slight that just a little sanding with 600 paper managed to make parts of the letters level with the rest of it. So if I tried that technique again it would just come out worse.

Unfortunately, this cabinet is messed-up in several ways and there is no way I'll be done with it before I have to move to WI next week. I hate moving projects that are underway. I always loose parts.

Last edited by Adam; 10-14-2018 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-19-2017, 12:10 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Unfortunately, this cabinet is messed-up in several ways and there is no way I'll be done with it before I have to move to WI next week.
When you get here, make sure you check out the Wisconsin Antique Radio Club. A lot of the WARCI members are also here on this forum as TV collectors. Yes, we do more than just antique radios. TV. phono, hi-fi, etc. are all represented here. We'd be glad to have you join us. We normally meet in the Milwaukee area, but have two swap/social meets in Madison each year. One is coming up there just next month, on August 20th. See warci.org for details!

Old 07-19-2017, 09:04 AM
M is for Memory

A pad lock maker used to use a thick near dry paste paint to fill sunken dial numbers*. Perhaps you could use a similar approach. I think your better off applying paint 'wet/uncured' and removing it wet.

*IIRC some of my peers at MSOE had a college senior design project to come up with a less antiquated method.

I don't know how small it is, but perhaps a fine tipped paint pen or artists brush and a steady hand could fill the letters.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-19-2017, 10:31 AM
Followin' the Rules...

We used the Testors paint pens - get both the red/white/black and gold/silver/black kits and 99% of your needs are met. Paint the area, and go back over with either some micromesh to remove the surface paint, or a MrClean Magic eraser, with light passes. The magic eraser is fine enough and firm enough to not dig out the recesses or mar the surface.

I dunno what grit our micromesh kit is - nothing is marked.

http://www.advantagehobby.com/246235...ite/?pcat=1028

Link provided only as a reference - Amazon is probably cheaper.
"Capacitor Cosmetologist since '79"

When fuses go to work, they quit!
Audiokarma
Old 07-22-2017, 01:20 AM
Living The Draper Ethos

I always liked Philco's wacky early 60's designs. Was this branded as a "Cool Chassis" set?
I have a 1962 Deluxe 23 "Cool Chassis" consolette that I rescued from the loft of the theater department Prop barn at Hiram College back in 2009. It's a hot chassis set that worked great as found and hasn't needed work since. It was a dorm lounge TV in it's previous life.

Old 12-17-2017, 05:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did my first post in the Introductions forum a few days ago, lamenting the fact that all the cool old TVs are from the US and I'm in Europe where everything pretty much sucks. I've been looking online and in thrift shops for months and just finding icky 80s solid-state stuff.

But thanks to this thread, I happened to Google "Philco Townhouse" because I thought that pic looked like one of the ugliest TVs I've ever seen - in a good way, I mean, like lots of those midcentury Philcos. And what was the VERY FIRST thing that popped up on an image search? A freaking Philco Townhouse. In Spain. For 30€. That looks to be in pretty good shape, physically. And further thanks to that listing I have figured out what I need to be be searching for and discovered several other sets from the same era -Zeniths, Sylvanias, another Philco - that were either imported and converted, or made for export. Odd considering that in those days there was only one channel and it was the propaganda channel run by the dictatorship so I have to wonder why they were importing expensive American TVs. But regardless, good news!
Old 12-17-2017, 08:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
There was very little of the nylon disc left even before I removed the socket. When I first took out the chassis and blew out all the dust, bits of that socket went with it.

The Philcos seem more rare than others. Zenith 19" B&W sets are much more common. I wonder if these 19" Philcos, when they were all around 10-20 years old broke down because of weird problems like bad tube sockets and controls and nobody wanted to put in the effort to fix them and junked most of them.

Here's an ad showing the different early 19" Philco B&W models. I've been looking for one of those Town and Countrys for years. Those 19" sets in what look like Seventeener III cabinets with rectangular 19" CRT masks are cool looking too. It also says they made some of these Townhouses with a remote control.
Many years ago, one of my neighbors called and said they were looking at new sets. Their choice was between a Zenith and a Philco set for about the same price!
I told them, " Stay away from the Philco, they don't stand up worth a damn". The Zenith is a better buy.
Old 12-17-2017, 08:49 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
Odd considering that in those days there was only one channel and it was the propaganda channel run by the dictatorship so I have to wonder why they were importing expensive American TVs. But regardless, good news!
It may have been the only thing on, but there was one Spaniard who was damn determined to watch it in style.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:02 PM
M is for Memory

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanInSitges View Post
I did my first post in the Introductions forum a few days ago, lamenting the fact that all the cool old TVs are from the US and I'm in Europe where everything pretty much sucks. I've been looking online and in thrift shops for months and just finding icky 80s solid-state stuff.

But thanks to this thread, I happened to Google "Philco Townhouse" because I thought that pic looked like one of the ugliest TVs I've ever seen - in a good way, I mean, like lots of those midcentury Philcos. And what was the VERY FIRST thing that popped up on an image search? A freaking Philco Townhouse. In Spain. For 30€. That looks to be in pretty good shape, physically. And further thanks to that listing I have figured out what I need to be be searching for and discovered several other sets from the same era -Zeniths, Sylvanias, another Philco - that were either imported and converted, or made for export. Odd considering that in those days there was only one channel and it was the propaganda channel run by the dictatorship so I have to wonder why they were importing expensive American TVs. But regardless, good news!
Back then when Americans moved abroad, unless there was an engineer or particularly sharp person in the family, folks would often bring 117V 60Hz NTSC sets to PAL/CCIR, or SECAM countries, hook them up to 240V 50Hz watch them blow up then goto a TV repair shop and be informed that electronic standards are not universal.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma