Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-14-2023, 04:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hi to all,

not Yanczer stuff, but mechanical TV indeed.

UK shop Mindsets which is connected to Manchester University brought out over a decade ago a cheap kit to build a miniature replica Baird Televisor.
i've received a Mail saying that it's back in stock for Xmas 2023.

The kit includes a cardboard TV cabinet, a motor, a high-bri LED, electronics to amplify & regulate the motor's rotation + a CD with NBTV content. Ch1 is used for "video", CH2 contains Sync.

https://mindsetsonline.co.uk/shop/televisor/

Best Regards
jhalphen
Paris/France
Old 12-14-2023, 05:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the update Jerome. I ordered one to replace my previous one which I dropped and the plastic front fractured. They are a fun "science fair" demonstration of the concept and tells the story. They work fine with the included CD...if you still have a CD player around. The best would be if Darryl had made a converter for this format to get live tv to view.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

I too ordered one.

Does the original Aurora convertor, which does do mechanical,
work for this format? The manual lists the Baird Televisor as 30 lines
progressive 12.5 Hz. But there are tons of other nearby formats.
Old 12-14-2023, 08:21 PM
VideoKarma Member

Not sure but info below from Radiomuseum. Needs confirmation. I do not have the Aurora specs.

Baird Televisor Kit (Retro);
18 cm/7" Nipkow Disc with 750 rpm, 32 holes (lines) 12.5 frames/sec., 3 V motor, 6 LED´s, stereo jack for source, DC jack. CD-ROM as manual, sold in Museum stores etc.

Edit: Page 27 of the manual shows 32 line NBTV. Not sure if this is the same as the kit. It may need a reference signal shown elsewhere in the .pdf. https://www.tech-retro.com/aurora-de...nual%204.0.pdf

Last edited by Dave A; 12-14-2023 at 09:04 PM.
Old 12-21-2023, 07:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

The kit arrived and is problematic in this new version. Speed/sync are not good. Speed is too high for sync at the low end. The new 3 tab lens mount is not good compared to the original round lens mount. The instructions are from the original build...not this version. I have a note to Mindset and standing by for a response. A review after they respond.

Last edited by Dave A; 12-21-2023 at 07:56 PM.
Audiokarma
Old 12-22-2023, 10:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
The kit arrived and is problematic in this new version. Speed/sync are not good. Speed is too high for sync at the low end. The new 3 tab lens mount is not good compared to the original round lens mount. The instructions are from the original build...not this version. I have a note to Mindset and standing by for a response. A review after they respond.
I played more with it. Its definitely Aurora mechanical scan type 4, 30 Hz NBTV. This was determined from the number of cycles on the sync disk (32) and the frequency of the signal across the LED on the test pattern.
The sync disk has one bar missing which will allow generation of horizontal (frame) sync (the fast/slow direction is the reverse of NTSC , 405, and other electronic).

Viewing the LED signal on the test card says it does have sync.

I tired to see if sync is bothered by room light ... apparently not, based on
the test pattern. Probably IR led/photocell.

I then remembered that somewhere I read that the CD had each little track repeated twice with reverse polarity, because CD players have no polarity spec. I noticed no difference when trying to sync various tracks.

Later today I will rip the CD to computer files and investigate further.

I will also try the Aurora. The Aurora is a pain to set, the manual is not clear on exactly how the buttons work and I don't want to lose the settings needed to make my real electronic Marconi 702 work right.

I'd love to see a schematic ... does it have DC restoration for the sync?
Old 12-22-2023, 03:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am going to move this to a new thread to keep the Yanczer discussion on track. Dave A