Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-04-2018, 07:17 AM
VideoKarma Member

An early '48 Motorola VT-71 in action

Thanks to Bob Anderson's info on the VT-71 I found mine to be a very early production set. It has channel 1, an non-plated steel chassis, no fine tuning, a sharped-cornered HV box, and no capped side screws to remove the front lower panel. Although not a '47, it was one of the very first '48's. It was gotten from the original owners family here on LI. Supposedly it was on a shelf in his radio/TV repair shop since new and remained in like-new original condition in the rarer blonde finished cabinet. Interestingly, the set must've had many, many hours of use as the chassis needed everything new including the CRT and flyback. After my friend put many hours of repair work into it, it plays as good as it looks now. Nothing like enjoying these early sets on a day off watching the blizzard outside!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00773.JPG (137.7 KB, 105 views)
Old 01-04-2018, 08:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
Thanks to Bob Anderson's info on the VT-71 I found mine to be a very early production set. It has channel 1, an non-plated steel chassis, no fine tuning, a sharped-cornered HV box, and no capped side screws to remove the front lower panel. Although not a '47, it was one of the very first '48's. It was gotten from the original owners family here on LI. Supposedly it was on a shelf in his radio/TV repair shop since new and remained in like-new original condition in the rarer blonde finished cabinet. Interestingly, the set must've had many, many hours of use as the chassis needed everything new including the CRT and flyback. After my friend put many hours of repair work into it, it plays as good as it looks now. Nothing like enjoying these early sets on a day off watching the blizzard outside!
Very nice!
Old 01-04-2018, 12:10 PM
M is for Memory

Nice example.

I don't know about those sharp cornered HV boxes being early...My set lacks channel 1 has a plated chassis, but the HV box has sharp corners.

Electrostatic deflection sets like these do not have flybacks, but rather RF HV coils.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 01-04-2018, 12:48 PM
RCA 741PCS

Interesting. I've seen quite a few of these and only the early ones had a box HV cage. Do you know your serial # ?

Old 01-04-2018, 12:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Will a square corner HV cover fit on a later chassis designed for the more rounded corner cover?

jr
Audiokarma
Old 01-04-2018, 01:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Interesting. I've seen quite a few of these and only the early ones had a box HV cage. Do you know your serial # ?

I don't have it at the moment Bob, but I did look it up on your list and it was one of the very first numbers in the '48 run. My chassis looks just like your yours in the photo. In fact it had a light surface rust coating. I had to carefully brush all the tube rivets and apply wire glue to them as I was having intermittent grounding interference. This was recommended by my repairman friend. It worked too!
By the way jr, I would suspect the HV covers could be swapped, but my set was definitely an as found "virgin". The chassis appeared to have been used to death by the original owner and then just left as-is with no repairs.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

I am just wondering if the TV program displayed on the VT-71 is an episode of Abbott & Costello or The Colgate Comedy Hour. Just wondering-Thanks :-)
Old 01-04-2018, 05:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
I am just wondering if the TV program displayed on the VT-71 is an episode of Abbott & Costello or The Colgate Comedy Hour. Just wondering-Thanks :-)
It's actually an early Phil Silvers Show episode from '55. I sometimes watch classic movies on my sets, but there's nothing better than watching period shows on them.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks :-) Wondering if these episodes have their original broadcast commercials as originally aired-Thanks a bunch :-) With original commercials is the best way to see a classic/vintage TV show in my opinion for that truly authentic experience.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betamax View Post
Thanks :-) Wondering if these episodes have their original broadcast commercials as originally aired-Thanks a bunch :-) With original commercials is the best way to see a classic/vintage TV show in my opinion for that truly authentic experience.
I agree. No, the Phil Silvers shows do not have commercials. It's hit and miss if they're left in. I have some Ed Wynn and Colgate Comedy Hour shows with commercials. I love the animated ones the best. I had found a VHS tape years ago that just says "Classic TV" "The Good Old Days". It's all intro's and tid-bits of very early television ('48-early '50's) that's great.
Audiokarma
Old 01-05-2018, 10:13 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
The last one I saw that looked that good was about 60 years ago.
According to the tube compliment, that is the earliest model, using a 6SQ7 audio amp and a few different others.
I have three sets of that type and they're the later design.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
The last one I saw that looked that good was about 60 years ago.
According to the tube compliment, that is the earliest model, using a 6SQ7 audio amp and a few different others.
I have three sets of that type and they're the later design.
Thanks. The front is actually photo-finish and amazingly not worn around the knobs at all. The rest of the cabinet is just as flawless. The back even has all of the original screws! It's the only blonde vintage TV that I ever had the chance to acquire with a good finish. They typically have a splotchy-shabby look to them.
Old 01-06-2018, 06:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Thanks. The front is actually photo-finish and amazingly not worn around the knobs at all. The rest of the cabinet is just as flawless. The back even has all of the original screws! It's the only blonde vintage TV that I ever had the chance to acquire with a good finish. They typically have a splotchy-shabby look to them.
I have a blonde one but half of the top was in really bad shape but it still works great.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM
I like....big sparks!!

Super-cool, Joe!

Ham shack...AM side: Knight-Kit T-60, RME-45
Vintage SSB side: National 200
Modern SSB: Kenwood TS-180S
MFJ tuner, 130' dipole
Old 01-14-2018, 10:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy View Post
I have a blonde one but half of the top was in really bad shape but it still works great.
The last one I bought is that portable model, complete and original. The build date is early 1949.
IDK when it was repaired the last time but it does have the glass ballast tube.
I have to get the caps ordered soon. Is Mouser or Allied the best source?
Audiokarma