Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > The Amateur Radio Spot

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-11-2017, 11:00 AM
Administrator

Echolink is okay......I check out *DODROPIN* or *SOUTHCARS* once in a while when the bands are dead. I just Elmer'd a guy in Maryland who passed his Tech yesterday, so I'm gonna use Echolink to dial into his local repeater so we can talk
Old 12-11-2017, 12:03 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakiri View Post
Echolink is okay......I check out *DODROPIN* or *SOUTHCARS* once in a while when the bands are dead. I just Elmer'd a guy in Maryland who passed his Tech yesterday, so I'm gonna use Echolink to dial into his local repeater so we can talk

One thing I didn't mention in my post: I am using Qtel, a software program for Linux (I am running Ubuntu version 17.10 on my computer) which allows access to the Echolink system, and is available for download in Ubuntu's "Software" section. Qtel seems to work well enough through the Echolink test server, and I have also been able to connect to at least two stations, so it must be working as intended. My hat is off to the developer of Qtel and also EL itself, as these programs allow access to Echolink even if one is unable to download the EL client itself and does not have HF equipment. I have been unable to install the EL client itself on my computer due to compatibility issues; it seems, since EL was developed for Windows, the program absolutely will not run on any other operating system unless an external compatibility layer (I can't think of the name offhand) is installed on the user's computer before, not after, Echolink is installed.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 12-11-2017, 01:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Jeff, have you ever tried Echolink on your tablet? I have the application installed on my iPad, and believe that there is also an application that will work well on an Android biased tablet.

73, jr
Old 12-11-2017, 09:26 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
Jeff, have you ever tried Echolink on your tablet? I have the application installed on my iPad, and believe that there is also an application that will work well on an Android biased tablet.

73, jr
Yes, I have EL on my tablet, and also on my smartphone. The program loaded on both without a hitch, and works every bit as well as the Windows version. No compatibility issues, either, and no need for any kind of external software. The only external software I installed was a proxy server so the system will receive incoming connections; however, Qtel (Echolink for Ubuntu and other Linux-based operating systems) does not seem to need such software, as it has an "incoming connections" window within the GUI.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.