Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-2021, 06:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

1969 Memorex 1" videotapes with NASA Apollo (?) material

Found these three video tapes at an online auction in the USA. They have since been sent to me in Europe and should arrive by next month.

1" tape on a 10" spool.

If we have to go by the case identifier (79P-ON-7084B-W3), they are exactly:

Memorex Type 79 Series designed for helical-scan broadcast and closed circuit television recorders.

Ampex VR-6000 and VR-7000 Series Recorders

62 minutes 9-4/2" Precision Reel 1" x 3000' in Box 1"

So probably recorded with an NTSC Ampex Type A machine.

The seller did not have a way to play back the tapes, so nothing is known about their content or which format/machine they were recorded with. Neither do I know the condition of the tapes, if they need special treatment before they can be played back and digitized.

It is a gamble and I am prepared to be disappointed, there could be something different on them entirely!

If the labels are correct however, the tapes likely contain USA television broadcasts of the missions during the written events. Of the NBC, CBS or ABC.

So while unlikely to be lost NASA footage, still very cool possibly live recordings off of TV.

When the tapes arrive I want to try the following things:

1. Assess their condition. Is it possible to notice SSS and other degenerations without playing back the tape?

2. View the tape with a magnetic viewing solution to make the tracks visible, to determine if there is anything on them at all, and if so, the format.

The biggest problem would be to find an NTSC machine in europe/UK, preferable in the Netherlands.

Is it possible to play back an NTSC tape on a PAL machine just for the audio? So I can asses if the contents are what are stated on the labels.

If all works out I hope I can get them digitized at a professional company.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Apollo 11 1 Inch Memorex 2.jpg (77.1 KB, 132 views)
File Type: jpg Apollo 11 1 Inch Memorex 1.jpg (72.4 KB, 135 views)

Last edited by Dutchsteam; 07-12-2021 at 10:26 AM.