Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:59 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Rca acr-136

Got one of these 1935 era sets in today from Connecticut. Bought it as "Not Working", figuring it would go see Terry. Well, it came in, & there was somewhat substantial damage by Fedex. The dome-shaped dial glass was broken, as was a tube. The tube was puzzling, the guy had packed bubble wrap TIGHTLY around every tube, & all of the tubes are in sheilds, anyway. I called the guy I bought it from, told him I was gonna file a claim w/Fedex, but that as far as I was concerned, he & I were cool-HE did a very good job packing it. You know, I really don't care about the money-I just wish they hadn't woofed the dial glass...I can easily enuff get a flat one to replace it-but the pretty "Domed" 1935 original might be hard to get. The glass also kinda woofed the dial scale-Rotsa ruck finding one of THOSE. Anybody here have any info/experience w/one of these ? I THINK it was sorta the companion receiver to my RCA AR-60.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

It's a shot in the dark, but you might try a clock shop for the domed glass.
oc
Old 05-19-2011, 05:19 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Well, I called FedEx, & they told me the ONLY thing I could do would be to send it back to the guy in Conn, & let them "Determine" how much settlement they'd be willing to make on it...I told the woman that I didn't want to do that, I wanted to keep it, as its 75 yrs old & rare, & all this going back & forth are just that many more chances to booger it up REALLY bad. In other words, take it or leave it, & go screw yrself, you horrible little worthless customer pissant...We could CARE LESS about you & yr retarded 75 yr old radio...Doncha jes LOVE IT, Chicka-Boom, Chicka-Boom-Boom-Boom...
Old 05-19-2011, 05:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

This outfit sells dial glass in many sizes from 2" to 13" diameter, increasing by fractions of an inch. I have no connection.

http://www.norkro.com/store/index.ph...ex&cPath=5_103

Perfection is hard to reach with a screwdriver.
Old 05-19-2011, 06:00 PM
VideoKarma Member

Try these guys:
www.timesavers.com
Lots of different flat and dome glass.
No affil.
Audiokarma
Old 05-19-2011, 06:57 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Danke Schoen ! Now, I gotta figger out how to take the old busted shards out... The brass decorative plate is held in by umpty-lebben itty-bitty screws, & of course, being 1935 'n' all, they're SECURELY held in place by teency, tiny l'il nuts-And the whole business is buttin' up against the dial mechanism-VERY difficult to get at. ESPECIALLY for someone w/arthritic, island-sized paws.... Nowadays, we'd use a sheet-metal screw & call it "Soup", but THAT wasn't the way things were done in '35...I think there's even a rubber bladder/gasket thingy the glass fits into... The AR-60 shows the same attention to detail & craftsmanship in its construction.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:36 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

Got the glass ordered, & found a guy who sells replacement dials...The dial is a VERY dark reddish brown, I think it must have darkened & aged over the 75 yrs or so. Anyhow, I'm gonna send a check out to him tomorrow...Now, to get a manual on it. Its simply AMAZING what you can find on the internet... I can see old radio stuff, but THIS thing is oddball as all hell, & still wasn't too difficult to find things for...
Old 05-19-2011, 07:51 PM
Spiteful Old Cuss

...And now, thanks to W7FG.com, a manual is on its way, too...