Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Television" on a 1933 documentary

It is just a special effect of course, but still interesting. TV appears around 3 minutes and 40 seconds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-_nPnSkd6E
Old 01-15-2018, 08:51 PM
console lover

"Transmitting with daily frequency...."

Now THAT'S a long wave!
Old 01-16-2018, 02:09 AM
The Resident Brony

That's one hell of a tv for 1933.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

This is the best they would've had at that time - if you could talk RCA to sell you one of these experimental CRT sets!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg full_front_operating.jpg (43.8 KB, 72 views)
Old 01-17-2018, 02:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by decojoe67 View Post
This is the best they would've had at that time - if you could talk RCA to sell you one of these experimental CRT sets!
Many of these prototype and field test sets were taken home by the engineers after they served their purpose, so some did survive because of this. This particular 1931 set survived in a warehouse in Indiana until being rescued from the dumpster by an RCA engineer who recognized it.
Audiokarma
Old 01-17-2018, 02:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gives a good impression of a projection set (apart from not displaying any line structure. Perhaps it was film back projection?) but doesn't represent what was television state of the art in 1933.

Peter
Old 01-17-2018, 04:28 PM
VideoKarma Member

One could modify an otherwise boring period cabinet like that by installing a small LCD flat screen display. It better be an uninteresting on its own cabinet, though
Old 01-17-2018, 08:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubesrule View Post
Many of these prototype and field test sets were taken home by the engineers after they served their purpose, so some did survive because of this. This particular 1931 set survived in a warehouse in Indiana until being rescued from the dumpster by an RCA engineer who recognized it.
I read that story. Amazing. Also amazing to see it operating. I love that early green phosphor CRT. It really gives it an even more primitive look. I wonder what was involved it restoring it to play?
Old 01-17-2018, 09:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I read that story. Amazing. Also amazing to see it operating. I love that early green phosphor CRT. It really gives it an even more primitive look. I wonder what was involved it restoring it to play?
Surprisingly little. It was more conservation than restoration. No original components in the main chassis' were changed. A few modern resistors and capacitors from work done by the RCA engineer in the 1980's to the vertical chassis' were put back to original. Even in the SPU, components like the filter caps are film type and are all still original. A few power resistors (50-100W) were open in the SPU.

Just as with the incredible luck of rescuing the set days before it was to be scrapped in 1984, by an incredible second stroke of luck, much of the original documentation and ephemera for this set was obtained a couple of years ago at a pawn shop in Tucson, placed there by the daughter of the engineer that was in charge of this project at RCA.

Darryl
Old 01-18-2018, 05:14 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Surprisingly little. It was more conservation than restoration. No original components in the main chassis' were changed. A few modern resistors and capacitors from work done by the RCA engineer in the 1980's to the vertical chassis' were put back to original. Even in the SPU, components like the filter caps are film type and are all still original. A few power resistors (50-100W) were open in the SPU.

Just as with the incredible luck of rescuing the set days before it was to be scrapped in 1984, by an incredible second stroke of luck, much of the original documentation and ephemera for this set was obtained a couple of years ago at a pawn shop in Tucson, placed there by the daughter of the engineer that was in charge of this project at RCA.

Darryl
Do I understand that it's you're lucky find Darryl?! I've been fascinated with TV history since I was kid and been researching the subject since then. That console with the paperwork (and the story behind it all) is hands down the true "Holy Grail" find in TV history. I would love to see a video of it working.
Audiokarma
Old 01-18-2018, 06:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Do I understand that it's you're lucky find Darryl?! I've been fascinated with TV history since I was kid and been researching the subject since then. That console with the paperwork (and the story behind it all) is hands down the true "Holy Grail" find in TV history. I would love to see a video of it working.
I am the one who stumbled on the documentation and did the conservation work but not the one who saved the set from the dumpster.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I am the one who stumbled on the documentation and did the conservation work but not the one who saved the set from the dumpster.
I see. The owner of the set must have flipped at your find. So great that both the set and documentation have been saved. Future generations will be in awe to see how far back electronic television went. I'm still in awe myself.
Old 01-19-2018, 05:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Deleted

Last edited by peter scott; 01-19-2018 at 05:38 AM. Reason: wrong set
Old 01-24-2018, 04:07 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Thanx for the vid!!!!!!!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:45 AM
Analog Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Thanx for the vid!!!!!!!
Hey is that you from a particular tape forum I'm thinking of? How are you?
Audiokarma