Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-19-2014, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Junkley record player from August, 2013

I just bought the Junkley that was made in August, 2013 that was a warranty return from someone off ebay. When I got it; the wall wart was missing (I forgot about these not having an internal power supply, the tonearm lockdown clip was missing, and the needle was busted off. I found an old wall wart to power it and used a lockdown clip from another junk stereo. I had a cartridge and needle from a junk stereo and my intent was to use the needle off of the other cartridge. Despite it looking the same as the original, it would not snap on the junkley cartridge; so, I just replaced the whole cartridge. I also cleaned the switches and volume control; which, were dirty. While I had it apart, one of the thin speaker wires snapped off and had to be soldered back. As far as the speakers, they are very cheap and I've had transistor radios that had better speakers and a more powerful amplifier. You certainly won't have to worry about it disturbing the person in the next room. It's now working; but, the motor is noisy. Actually, when it's off, I can rotate the platter and the motor acts as a generator to power the amplifier. One of the plastic turntable mounting brackets is broken and the rest of the unit is largely held together with hot glue. The only thing that motivates me from doing a "crash 'n' bash" video of this is I need something to demonstrate how inferior this junk is to people, who often have no issue with paying $80-$100 for these things; yet, would not buy a vintage restored record player because "newer is better." Oh, and the classy red velvet inner-lid covering is already coming off - not bad for something that's only six months old.