Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-08-2015, 05:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Newcomb R16 transcription player from 1953

Here's a Newcomb model R16 transcription player from 1953 and will play records up to 16". This is their baby model in their series of transcription players; but, is still a decent, well made unit. It uses a 5W amp, 10" speaker, a standard 2-pole motor, and does not have a pitch control. The cartridge is the old crystal type that looks to be a later replacement and it still has output. The drive wheel and turrets still appear to be in good shape; so, this one should be an easy restoration. Even though the cartridge still has output, I'll replace it with a modern stereo cartridge.

Old 08-08-2015, 08:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

The unit's in great shape for it's age. I was trying to recognize the speaker mfgr. Looked it up and it's Rola. I always considered their products to be great!
BTW, is the first amp tube a 6SL7. Schematic is a little blurry.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes, I believe it's a 6SL7.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 AM
Banned

Why do they call these Transcription Record players? Aren't they just school record players? And for anything to be called "transcription" doesn't it have to be capable of recording sound? Last I checked that's what the word transcription meant, recording information, and none of your record players that you have posted so far that you have called "transcription record players" have a recording function, just playback, so I think you might have your terminology mixed up...
Old 08-18-2015, 09:36 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainclock View Post
Why do they call these Transcription Record players? Aren't they just school record players? And for anything to be called "transcription" doesn't it have to be capable of recording sound? Last I checked that's what the word transcription meant, recording information, and none of your record players that you have posted so far that you have called "transcription record players" have a recording function, just playback, so I think you might have your terminology mixed up...
They are referred as that, because they can play transcription 16" discs.
The original thread entry, stated that!
Audiokarma
Old 08-18-2015, 12:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseljeep View Post
They are referred as that, because they can play transcription 16" discs.
The original thread entry, stated that!
No, he never said anything about what kinds of discs it could play in the original description, he only referred to it as a "transcription record player" and I didn't know there was such a thing as 16" records or that they were referred to as "transcription records" so please don't go making me sound like I'm ignorant or an idiot when I never even heard of such records in the first place!
Old 08-19-2015, 09:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice unit! I always liked Newcomb units, especially the neatness and simplicity of that amplifier, yet they sound so incredibly good!
Old 08-19-2015, 02:05 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Doug and I agree. They sure figured out how to get a lot out of those minimal amount of parts.
Old 08-20-2015, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drh4683 View Post
Nice unit! I always liked Newcomb units, especially the neatness and simplicity of that amplifier, yet they sound so incredibly good!
I like the way they have the resistors, perfectly placed across the two points. They look like Allen Bradley's, made three blocks from where I lived, for several years. Several large buildings, that are no longer used for manufacturing, just used for distribution.