Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:01 PM
Modulating Madness

78's from my Grandmas

My grandma passed away a few months ago. After going through her stuff I found a small collection of 78s.

I doubt they are worth much but honestly I don't know. If anything I'd just love to play them on an actual record player and to me that would be worth more than the small sum of money I would probably get out of them.

These shellacs were found in her sheds on her property. Full of the usual grime and age.

I found many sleeves asking to buy war bonds...

Here is a case I found of regular old 78s all in excellent condition..

As you can see many are missing the paper sleeves but the records themselves are in really good shape.

I don't have a way to play them though so I can't honestly judge that they are good to go, but they look smooth and rather good given their age.

I don't plan to sell them soon since I figure they are worth almost nothing. Please tell me if I am wrong. I looked up a few records in worse condition than mine on ebay and they were going for 10-30$ a pop.
I would enjoy hearing them first before I sold them, however I am open to learning about these.

Sorry if this is mediocre to you all as you probably come across these all the time, but to me they are special knowing how they made it through our family all this time.
I do know that it doesn't matter though for collector value. So can someone give me a judgement on value for old cast away 78s and what I can expect?
I just hope they aren't worth less than scrap metal after I find a way to play them and record them to a new medium.

Thanks.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:19 AM
VideoKarma Member

Some 78's are worth some money and others would be doing good to bring fifty cents/each. The main ones that are worth a few dollars and up are blues, R&B, some country, and '50's rock/roll 78's. If they were mine, I'd probably keep them if they belonged to my Grandmother.

As far as playback, the first piece of advice I'll give you is DON'T BUY one of these current production Corsley (or other brand) record players. These are cheap made Chinese junk and even though some of them have 78 rpm speed, they do not come with the proper 78 rpm needle. A stereo LP or 45 requires a .7 mil needle. The much wider groove 78 requires a 3 mil needle. If a 78 is played with an LP needle, the playback will be very noisy and record/stylus damage may result.

For a quick, fairly inexpensive solution; I'd look for an old Newcomb, Audiotronics, or Califone classroom record player. I prefer the older tube models from the '50's and '60's, but any of them with 78 rpm speed should work for you. These models have a flip over style needle with an LP needle on one side and a 78 needle on the other; however, some newer needles have dual LP tips. If in doubt, replace the needle with a known 3 mil 78 needle. You can also play modern LP's and 45's on these classroom players; but, I wouldn't recommend playing a mint or valuable LP/45 on one because the tonearm will be heavy and will wear the record quicker. 78's, however, are a different story. The tonearm on a classroom player is gentle in comparison to what these 78's were originally played on and the classroom palyer shouldn't hurt a 78. For this type of player; check ebay, the local flea market, or your next school board surplus auction.

Another more costly option would be to purchase a turntable with 78 rpm speed, a stereo receiver or amp, speakers, and the proper cartridge for playing 78's. This method can be costly; but, may be worth it if you get into record collecting.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:32 AM
VideoKarma Member

Where are you? I have 78 equipment and could play them.

The valuable records are the truly rare ones. I have one that is ODJB (Original Dixieland Jazz Band) recorded about 1919. The first jazz record was either 1917 or 1918. I also have some commercials, you know, sales pitches for events like movies or stock car races. It appears the ones you have are more ordinary than that but why not post the titles and artists? What was your grandmother's time frame?
Old 08-23-2011, 08:42 AM
VideoKarma Member

Are you still here?

You mentioned that the records are dirty and without sleeves. They shouldn't be played before they are cleaned.

Take a paint brush with moderately stiff bristles and sweep away as much loose dirt as possible. Mix up a pan of tepid water with Dawn. Don't use a substitute, use Dawn. Take another brush and work the solution into the grooves following them. Rinse. Take a paint pad wetted with the solution and follow the grooves. Rinse again. Use a soft cloth to pat dry. Place in a wooden dish rack and allow to dry. Don't play the records for at least 24 hours.

Try to keep the labels as dry as possible. Columbia red labels will bleed. In addition, some RCA Victor 78's made in the late '40's or early '50's used a water soluble ink. Get the label wet and all the print washes off!

Give us a list of a few.