Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-08-2017, 01:04 PM
The Resident Brony

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_rye89 View Post
Hopefully LCD will be obsolete soon, it's had too many flaws from the get go, and is just barely getting "good"
LCDs did git gud, but yeah, only just recently. They're already obsolete, OLEDs are taking over.
Old 10-10-2017, 01:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Its great to see some people still using crt tvs for their main set.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:04 PM
Analogue is Awesome

CRTs are beautiful
Old 10-15-2017, 11:11 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose14 View Post
Its great to see some people still using crt tvs for their main set.
While I'm on line, I watch a 14" Toshiba stereo remote, built in Feb, 2004.
The set was like new when I picked it up at the GW about six years ago. That's when they were getting $6.99 for a TV. Picture Quality is still great! It's used about three hours in the morning and three to four hours in the evening.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Well god bless you and your TV
Audiokarma
Old 11-25-2017, 09:56 AM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I have no flat screens in my house, except for a monitor connected to a desktop I never use. The newest set is a 27" Zenith from 1990. It runs all day playing kiddie krap for my daughter. The only other set used on a daily basis is a 19" Zenith, circa 1979.

No inputs beyond an antenna and a DT-9001 box.

I barely watch TV anymore, and if I do, it's all SD stuff on the retro channels.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I have no flat screens in my house, except for a monitor connected to a desktop I never use. The newest set is a 27" Zenith from 1990. It runs all day playing kiddie krap for my daughter. The only other set used on a daily basis is a 19" Zenith, circa 1979.

No inputs beyond an antenna and a DT-9001 box.

I barely watch TV anymore, and if I do, it's all SD stuff on the retro channels.

Lucky Carmine ! you have yet an antenna and this is a thing we don't have since years in Québec.. all people have what i call a ' saucer ' or a provider ( cable ) and, because my wife loves HD, i can't watch my old 1979 B&W tv anyway when we are married , we do some concessions.. ( don't know the real name ) .. :P
Old 11-25-2017, 01:42 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
Lucky Carmine ! you have yet an antenna and this is a thing we don't have since years in Québec.. all people have what i call a ' saucer ' or a provider ( cable ) and, because my wife loves HD, i can't watch my old 1979 B&W tv anyway when we are married , we do some concessions.. ( don't know the real name ) .. :P
I think the saucers you speak of are small satellite dishes, I see those every now and then.

While not normally used in that context, "concession" is technically accurate; usually "compromise" is used instead.

I use a 26" color CRT set, 25" to those South of the border. It's a Canadian set though so it was never advertised as 25". If I had to choose between watching a *B&W* CRT and hi-def I'd have to choose the latter. There is no nostalgia for me in B&W, that was just something I used when nothing else was available, and as I recall I took it apart before I got my own color set in 1992. I used that until 2005 when it suffered a vertical failure. Even that recently perfectly good color CRT sets weren't being given away so I eventually bought a new one.

Oh, and just for kicks I recently powered up a partially stripped flat screen monitor and threw a 4" tall can capacitor at it until it broke internally and displayed a bunch of funny patterns and colors. It took three tries but I didn't put much force into it the first two times. I busted it up a little more and then threw it out the next day.
Old 11-25-2017, 02:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes Jon.A . It's a satellite dish. Thank to remind me it..

Compromise.. exactly.. You know, my english is not the best and not my native language .. I speak french and it's rare i use a translator..Some mysteries in my phrases but i see you are able to understand me , funtastic
Old 11-25-2017, 04:56 PM
...enjoys spaghetti.

I don't know if it's really compromise in my case. My wife (like me) is very disinterested in pop-culture or "status" stuff. She downloads some tv shows (Gilmore Girls, the show about the nerdy science guys, and that thing with the British chef who's always cursing). She just watches them on her phone. Sometimes she downloads something we both watch, but lately we're both so busy with other stuff that we rarely have the time.

Right now she's taking her online tax class for a seasonal job at H&R Block, I'm giving her a break from our daughter, who's running a Hot Wheels car on me while I attempt to watch The Rifleman. What an exciting Saturday night!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20171125_175208.jpg (50.6 KB, 55 views)
Audiokarma
Old 11-25-2017, 11:50 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco-nix View Post
Yes Jon.A . It's a satellite dish. Thank to remind me it..

Compromise.. exactly.. You know, my english is not the best and not my native language .. I speak french and it's rare i use a translator..Some mysteries in my phrases but i see you are able to understand me , funtastic
Oh yeah, easy. In your case the use of a translator may be counter-productive, that is if they haven't changed much since I last used one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmine View Post
I don't know if it's really compromise in my case. My wife (like me) is very disinterested in pop-culture or "status" stuff. She downloads some tv shows (Gilmore Girls, the show about the nerdy science guys, and that thing with the British chef who's always cursing). She just watches them on her phone. Sometimes she downloads something we both watch, but lately we're both so busy with other stuff that we rarely have the time.

Right now she's taking her online tax class for a seasonal job at H&R Block, I'm giving her a break from our daughter, who's running a Hot Wheels car on me while I attempt to watch The Rifleman. What an exciting Saturday night!
Sounds like a real prize, and cute kid too, got to love that smile.

Oh yeah, that chef is Gordon Ramsay of Kitchen Nightmares. I've seen a handful of episodes, it can be rather amusing. Somehow cuss words are less offensive coming from a Brit, especially with their idioms thrown in, one example from the show being "blow smoke up your phony a**e".
Old 11-26-2017, 03:45 AM
VideoKarma Member

Amazing this thread is over 10 years old, and at the time I had 4 CRTs in use and that was pretty common at the time. The only non CRT I had was a 61" JVC D-ILA (DLP style) projection.

My CRTs were -

32" Sharp
27" LG made Zenith with a flat CRT
19" Orion made Zenith TV/VCR combo - impressed it wasn't stereo and still had 2 speakers.
19" Panasonic from 1987 with a varactor tuner and a CRT that was shot. Brightness and contrast were turned all the way up and you could barely see the picture in a dark room.

Last edited by dishdude; 11-26-2017 at 03:48 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon A. View Post
Oh yeah, easy. In your case the use of a translator may be counter-productive, that is if they haven't changed much since I last used one.

Probably but,.. the last time I used a translator, he had made a lot of mistakes and it was at least 3 months ago. So, since you understand me quite well, I do not use it anymore except for a few words and no to translate complete sentences.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

Still using my Sharp 25 inch CRT at home. A Zenith Sentry II here at the shop (picked it up on the street working). Love em!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

There's someone at the end of my street and whenever I walk past in the evening I can clearly see in his livingroom a 27" in the corner with something on.
Audiokarma