Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:53 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I keep 90% in storage (carefully and correctly stored), and I have one TV at a time in the living room (as if it were "the" TV of the household). To me, that feels more real, than when I had 250 sets all visible when entering the house. I do have a wall unit with all of my Sony mini-Trinitrons on it, with a clear plastic panel over the front of the shelves to dust-proof (and earthquake-resistant-ize) the collection. I have started a collection of very primitive plasma sets from the 90s, an when I get a chance, I'll line those all up mounted on the wall of the hallway.

Charles
Old 10-11-2013, 12:58 PM
RCA 741PCS

I currently have 7" sets scattered all around my place and decided I needed to do something more practical. Specifically, I want to take advantage of my over 9' ceilings. No standard shelving system is going to do exactly what I want so I'm going to roll my own from scratch.

First, I came up with a balsa wood prototype. Imagine the wood blocks are TVs

Now for the full sized thing. I'm going to use off the shelf dimensioned lumber from a local hardware store. All 1"x2" mahogany and maple.

I picked up this refurbished Ryobi miter saw cheap and it works great.
Old 10-11-2013, 03:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's the Admiral TV I restored, that I got off the bay. It's similar if not the same model I had as a kid (this one in this picture sitting in the same corner of the same room I grew up in where the old one sat), that one was my father's mom's, who bought it new around 1950.
Old 10-11-2013, 04:48 PM
M is for Memory

I don't see your photo...

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 10-11-2013, 06:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

I ran out of space with vintage radios long ago, so don't have room for many TVs. We have a Predicta Holiday I'm just finishing up (fired it up last night, and getting a great pic!). We also have a 1954 Raytheon 17" that I'm going to restore pretty soon. The Predicta will be in the living room, not sure where the Raytheon will go.
Old 10-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Don't mess with Esther.

Wherever I can put them right now where they won't be in the way. For the future, in a bigger place, I would prefer to keep most of them out of sight most of the time and rotate them in a 70s/80s crossover decor scheme so things don't look too weird. My most recent non-electronic addition: a low-profile captain's bed. It gives me more storage space and eliminates the need for a box spring, my current one being completely shot. The mattress needs replacing too, but I should be able to write off that purchase no problem.

^ GEEZ, that was a long time ago! That was long before I got my 1976 Electrohome console whose space I couldn't even think of sharing with other sets. Actually it was before I got any of my current sets. For the time being most of them will be in my storage room except for when I want to work on them. In the future, in a much better part of the country, different sets in different rooms I guess.

I used to have a twin captain's bed I had to climb up into. It had a storage unit underneath with two stacked drawers and a cubby-hole on each side with a shelf. I'd like to have another one, the one mentioned above is crap in comparison. The drawers were falling apart and are gone now and the empty spaces turned against the wall.

Last edited by Jon A.; 08-27-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 10-14-2013, 09:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

Displaying my sets is very important to me. If it's not done correctly it can look just like a stock-pile and, individually, loose their appeal. I try to make symmetry by say a vintage TV center flanked by two tombstone radios on tables, flanked by two consoles on either side. I also like to display period items on them which further enhances their appeal. I put period small deco lamps, clocks, lighters, ashtrays, pictures, etc. on them. It's fun to search these items out too. I usually use cheap Target furniture as tables or an antique small table/night-stand occasionally.
Joe
Old 10-15-2013, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

Hello it is hard to lift those heavy sets over your head to display them I have ten and a half foot high ceilings most of my sets are on the floor stacked 3 high or on consoles I have 1 display unit with 10 sets stuffed on it...Timothy
Old 11-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Looking For Time

I've just completed my TV display space. I finished half of my basement by myself from the ground up with the intention of having a theater/TV display space. I keep very few sets and I want each set to have the space that it deserves. I try to have one original advertisement or other piece of ephemera framed and hanging above each set. The room is my main entertaining area thanks to a wetbar and flat panel theater. It's really great to be able to show the collection to family and friends who come over to visit. It always sparks a conversation about TV history. One of my personal favorites is when I have older folks over and they talk about their first TV experience. There's a bit of room for expansion for one tabletop and one console, but that will take time.

Old 11-01-2013, 09:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is awesome!
Audiokarma
Old 11-01-2013, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here I have some AA5s on display in a bookcase. Those Emersons breed like rabbits...
Old 11-01-2013, 10:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hey pretty nice area I have the same GE. 801 as you have on display maybe one day my tv area will look like a museum....Timothy
Old 11-01-2013, 11:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
I've just completed my TV display space.
That's beautiful. We just started a remodeling project that should provide a modest display space for me. Your setup gives me some ideas. Was your photo taken with a fisheye lens?

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 11-02-2013, 12:08 AM
VideoKarma Member

Two in the kitchen (my girlfriend's favorites) and one or two in every other room except the bedroom unless my early 80s solid state 19" daily driver counts as a vintage set. Not to me, but there is a topic forum for that. I am down to six, no wait seven; there is one on the front porch (her other favorite)! I tell her that I COULD be collecting cars. Evidently that would be OK for her. Imagine that! Chicks!?!?!
Old 11-02-2013, 12:15 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
I keep 90% in storage (carefully and correctly stored), and I have one TV at a time in the living room (as if it were "the" TV of the household). To me, that feels more real, than when I had 250 sets all visible when entering the house. I do have a wall unit with all of my Sony mini-Trinitrons on it, with a clear plastic panel over the front of the shelves to dust-proof (and earthquake-resistant-ize) the collection. I have started a collection of very primitive plasma sets from the 90s, an when I get a chance, I'll line those all up mounted on the wall of the hallway. Charles
All I can say is,,, WOW!