Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-20-2005, 09:51 PM
zacster

Antenna connection on DuMont TV

I'm finally starting to look at my DuMont closely and I noticed that the antenna connected through an RCA type plug instead of twin screw-on terminals. Is this still a 300ohm connection? And in any case, how would I connect a 75ohm lead? Center to Center? or does it need a conversion first?

Also, I have in hand a variac from ebay and I'm wondering if I should try bringing it up slowly before I start recapping so I can see if I get anything on the picture tube. If I have some bad components do I run the risk of shorting something else out if I do this?
Old 04-20-2005, 10:41 PM
VideoKarma Member

My DuMont RA109 has the same and it is a 75 ohm connector. I use mine with an RCA cable on the set end and RCA to F adaptor on the cable end. Probabaly the last thing Radio Shack is good for. Works fine. I also use an old vcr as a tuner. Much better signal than the Inductuner.

As for the variac, user beware if not recapped. You would likely smoke the caps you would have to replace anyway. Then again, I have two daily roundies that have never been recapped.

Dave A
Old 04-20-2005, 11:34 PM
zacster

Thanks. I didn't think they used 75ohm back then, just twin lead 300 from the roof or rabbit ears. And I would've sworn that's what this set had when I was a kid. Maybe there was an adapter and that's all I ever saw.

I just placed an order for all the caps anyway, so maybe I'll just take it slow and get them in first. It'll give me something to do on a rainy day or three. I just hope I get a picture when I'm done.

I'll be back with more questions as I get going.
Old 04-21-2005, 04:51 AM
heathkit tv

AFAIK cable TV goes back to the 50's, but I don't know what ohm range it was originally available in nor what sort of connectors they used....but it does raise interesting possibilities and of course questions. Hopefully someone can share this info with us.

Anthony
Old 04-21-2005, 09:44 AM
VideoKarma Member

Probably written somewhere in the pile of Dumont manuals I have, but they are in the hands of the post office right now...
Old 04-21-2005, 11:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-07-2021 at 10:47 AM.