Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Recorded Video

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-27-2015, 04:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Prerecorded S-VHS movies...they exists!

Hi folks,

I was unpacking my 4 boxes of VHS tapes the other day when I noticed something I didn't saw before : A prerecorded S-VHS tape!

I searched online to find what movies where made but did not get a definitive answer. Aparently a compagny in california made them in the 90's, about 10 to 12 movies where available and they sold poorly making this somewhat a rarety...

Never found one on eBay either...are those tape that rare?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150823_152634.jpg (67.9 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg 20150823_152642.jpg (106.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 11:35 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

A company called Super Source Video was the one place I know that sold S-VHS movies. If they ever were sold in any stores, they had to be hard to find.

Quote from another forum: "(Antique TV collecting) always seemed to me to be a fringe hobby that only weirdos did."
Old 08-31-2015, 07:52 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisW6ATV View Post
A company called Super Source Video was the one place I know that sold S-VHS movies...
As the label on the tape shows! I seem to recall Japan had a pretty good market at one time for pre-recorded S-VHS tapes.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:19 AM
Analogue is Awesome

I found an S-VHS tape @ salvation army one time with the movie ERASER recorded IN SLP MODE from cable TV and it sounded better than ANY OTHER MOVIE I EVER HEARD IN SLP!!
Old 09-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I found an S-VHS tape @ salvation army one time with the movie ERASER recorded IN SLP MODE from cable TV and it sounded better than ANY OTHER MOVIE I EVER HEARD IN SLP!!
No doubt it was Hi Fi audio since it was S-VHS. Hi Fi audio works/worked pretty much equally well at all tape speeds.
Audiokarma
Old 09-05-2015, 11:27 PM
Analogue is Awesome

I dunno.....If recorded off analog cable then it was straight analog audio (No HI-FI) -- Looks/sounds much better than the copy I had recorded from DirecTV (Which was digital of course)
Old 09-06-2015, 08:19 AM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
I dunno.....If recorded off analog cable then it was straight analog audio (No HI-FI) -- Looks/sounds much better than the copy I had recorded from DirecTV (Which was digital of course)
I don't think a NON Hi Fi S-VHS machine ever existed. "Analog" or linear audio at SLP speed would have at best an audio freq response to 5 or 6 kHz, not much better than AM radio.
Old 09-06-2015, 12:50 PM
M is for Memory

Two notes. DUDE111, VHS Hi-Fi IS ANALOG!....It essentially uses a high frequency FM carrier that has enough bandwidth for the whole audible spectrum X 2 channels, and is recorded and played back off the video head drum.

ED, if you want to include playback only mode there ARE non-HiFi machines that can play S-VHS....SQPB (S-VHS Quasi-PlayBack) was a feature that added S-VHS capability (in playback mode only) to standard VHS decks. I've got a non-HiFi equipped Sharp VCR that has SQPB (it was my first VCR)....It is kinda freaky to hear audio that crappy and watch picture that good at the same time.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 09-06-2015, 12:59 PM
Zenith Walton My 1st TV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Two notes. DUDE111, VHS Hi-Fi IS ANALOG!....It essentially uses a high frequency FM carrier that has enough bandwidth for the whole audible spectrum X 2 channels...

ED, if you want to include playback only mode there ARE non-HiFi machines that can play S-VHS.....
Actually there are 2 FM carriers, one at 1.3 mHz (L) , the other at 1.7 mHz (R) for the stereo pair.

And yes I was referring to S-VHS Recorders, like the one that would have made the recording mentioned.
Old 09-07-2015, 12:38 AM
Analogue is Awesome

Yup Electronic M,I realised that my friend!!

I love analog like crazy!!
Audiokarma
Old 09-14-2015, 01:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have the JVC jazz fest on SVHS somewhere.Which was prerecorded .The tape was ruined when somebody recorded over parts of it before I got it.
Old 12-26-2015, 11:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have Star Trek: The Undiscovered Country (Widescreen) from Super Source/Paramount.