Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-29-2015, 02:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

You have nothing to lose by simply waiting a while. Remember, the TV worked wonderfully just a short time ago. I wouldn't resolder all of the tube sockets at this moment.

Phil Nelson
Old 08-29-2015, 02:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

the coils in the tuner should not be touched, you can alter the tuning by collapsing or expanding them. Hopefully you did not change the shapes of the coils. No need to clean the tuner unless its noisy (snowy picture). When cleaning only the contacts need to be cleaned. Spraying is bad as it can get into places it should not be. Best bet is to leave it be for a few days and IF spray got somewhere it should not be it will dry out.

IF the fine tuning ring has no effect then there is prob something wrong with the mechanicals of it. fine tuning def effects the picture, generally it goes from black and white smeary to beat freq sound bars to loss of sync. see my video re fine tuning about how it should look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RAk9lKv03zA

Note your 7 may not have the range as demo above but you should still have a range that shows change.
Old 08-29-2015, 02:42 PM
Restoring an admiral c322

Made sure to be extra delicate with the copper coils in the tuner did not bend them at all. And as for the fine tuning Dave it is all normal just no color it does everything your video says minus the color. Should I open the tuner back up and just wipe the deoxit off the copper coils with a q-tip? Or is waiting the best thing? Also on the bottom right corner there has always been a discoloration it was at first yellow but now is more a green color I tried doing a purity setup and moving the yoke but no luck and I have tried degaussing the set at least 5 or 6 times and still it won't go away.

Admiral C322C2 Regent (Restoring)
RCA CTC-7 Pensbury (Restored)
RCA CTC-5 Westcott (Restored)
CRA CTC--4 Director 21 (Restoring)
Old 08-29-2015, 03:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

no color at all means the color osc is prob not running that is if your fine tuning is working like in the video. leave it be for a day or two. wiggle the 6GH8 tube (color osc). perfect purity can be hard to obtain. often just turning the set 90 degrees will have a huge effect on the purity. from the early pics of it working I would say you are fine.
Old 08-29-2015, 04:58 PM

Well in my case the color osc is a 6U8A. Wiggled it, nothing. Replaced with another 6U8A, nothing. will let it sit till Monday evening and try it again.

Audiokarma
Old 08-31-2015, 03:43 PM

OK lost my HV after I wiggled the 6DQ5 tube in its socket. Not sure why that messed it up but I reinserted the 6DQ5 still nothing tried wiggling it still nothing ran it without it nope. Made sure no pin connections were shorting themselves out. What now?

Old 08-31-2015, 04:03 PM

Fixed my HV loss. Guess I broke the ground wire on the cathode on the horizontal out tube. Gah! Still no color! just black and white! Note on the color bar test pattern I can just barely see the color in the color bars when I adjust the fine tuning. What is going on?

Last edited by SwizzyMan; 08-31-2015 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

a few things..

are you running at reduced voltage? try it back at 120v if you are.

try adj the horz hold a little bit, not enough to lose sync just a little both ways.

is the pic clear or do you have snow?

try a different channel adj fine tune again.

what exactly did you work on AFTER you had the working picture.

wiggle tubes in chroma section.

are you sure you are getting color on the color bar generator or are you seeing rainbow pattern like a loss of sync?
Old 08-31-2015, 05:03 PM

Wiggled tubes. That didnt help. At first first I had no sign whatsoever of color. Then I replaced the 6U8A color osc and I got the faint color in the color bar pattern. I will go through and adjust the 3.58Mhz and other coils in the chroma section. I know what I am doing with the coils and I know not to adjust too far. Tried everything you said Dave but still nothing. Will report back after I adjusted the coils. No rainbow pattern at all either.

Old 08-31-2015, 05:21 PM

Eureka! Was able to get my color back! Going to wrap this whole project up hopefully later tonight. All I did was adjust T704 and L704. Will make a video to show it and see if it needs any work on the color.

Audiokarma
Old 08-31-2015, 07:31 PM

Everything looks good except for the bottom right corner of the CRT. There is a green tint over everything in the bottom right corner. I've tried purity setup and deguassed the CRT multiple times and it won't go away. Is the shadow mask bent too much?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:25 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyMan View Post
Everything looks good except for the bottom right corner of the CRT. There is a green tint over everything in the bottom right corner. I've tried purity setup and deguassed the CRT multiple times and it won't go away. Is the shadow mask bent too much?
Do you get a pure red field when doing the purity setup, or is it discolored in the bottom right? The early tubes with "positive guard band" (the holes in the shadow mask are smaller than the phosphor dots) could have white field impurity even when the individual color fields were OK. A really precise purity setup would involve viewing the beam landings with a telescopic microscope (RCA WG309A microscope) to see if they were in the center of the phosphor dots.

The later "negative guard band" tubes (Zenith Chromacolor, for example) where the holes are larger than the phosphor dots, would illuminate the phosphor dots evenly even if the purity adjustment was slightly off, eliminating white field impurity problems.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:37 PM

Yes bottom right discoloration on the pure red screen. So I'm going to need a microscope?

Old 08-31-2015, 08:54 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwizzyMan View Post
Yes bottom right discoloration on the pure red screen. So I'm going to need a microscope?
No, no microscope needed if you can see the effect in the pure red screen - only needed if the red was pure and the white was not.

I'm not familiar with the chassis mounting on your set, but I'm wondering if it's near that corner and maybe you aren't getting it fully degaussed? Can you run your degaussing coil into the back of the cabinet and under that corner?

Edit: and you don't have any loudspeaker or such magnetic item sitting near the set?
Old 08-31-2015, 11:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

The chassis is mounted on the side, so bottom right of the screen (viewed from the front) is nearest the chassis. Under the chassis in that nearest corner is a choke.

Phil Nelson

Audiokarma