Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 03-06-2023, 01:22 AM
VideoKarma Member

Government wants to shutdown Fox, Newsmax and other conservative stations. Demo "congresscritters" have been petitioning "Uncle Charlie" for years. One former government employee wants 100K to file a lawsuit against Fox. Numerous polls have indicated that the "big three" and their "friends" aren't considered relevant by a large margin. If people want to watch "comedy" portrayed as news go ahead. It means nothing to me. I made that clear. The way things are going nothing the government does would surprise me! I don't believe that TV has ever been responsible for shutting down any radio stations. Not many people are interested in "talk radio" but doing a lot of careful listening sometimes is surprising! Government wants to shutdown Fox, Newsmax and other conservative stations. Demo "congresscritters" have been petitioning "Uncle Charlie" for years. Numerous polls have indicated that the "big three" and their "friends" aren't considered relevant by a large margin. It means nothing to me. I made that clear. The way things are going nothing the government does would surprise me! I don't believe that TV has ever been responsible for shutting down any radio stations. Not many people are interested in "talk radio" but doing a lot of careful listening sometimes is surprising!

Last edited by Titan1a; 03-06-2023 at 01:28 AM.
Old 03-06-2023, 12:13 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Let's get back to the original technical topic, please.
Political discussion is welcome at PoliticalChat.org
Old 03-06-2023, 12:29 PM
See yourself on Color TV!

Regarding picture quality:
Improvements in MPEG 2 encoders allowed visually artifact free HD pictures in about half the original bitrate, meaning that a broadcast channel could carry one very good HD signal and a smattering of lower quality subchannels. However, the old adage "content is king" is still true as it ever was, and broadcasters, cable TV providers, and satellite services all tend to press the limits of content over quality. "Content is king" dominated the development of home video recording, resulting in the reduced resolution but affordable VHS and Beta systems. It is no different with streaming services, where a lot of technical development is spent finding ways to squeeze the most content into the fewest bits with acceptable quality. The premier example of content over quality remains the huge number of bootlegged second and third generation "Star Wars" VHS tapes, which were used despite terrible quality.

Regarding resolution and interlace, there is no doubt that 1080P is superior to 720P, but the comparison of 1080I to 720P is dependent on the amount of motion. It was determined long ago by tests involving both non-expert and expert viewers that 1080I looked superior for most dramatic programs, but that 720P looked better for fast moving sports, basketball being a prime example. This difference has become less important with the advent of flat panel TVs that convert and present everything progressively (if the conversion is good).