Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-07-2021, 02:50 AM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

Screen scroller not working on Samsung plasma?

This is a trivial issue but it still bothers me. As I'm sure y'all are well aware, many plasma TVs have a built-in feature buried in the onscreen menus that activates a slowly scrolling black and white pattern, which is designed to remove temporary image retention on the panel. No matter what button I press, for some weird reason, this scroller feature on my Samsung PN50C550 does not work. I go through the menu: Picture > Picture Options > Screen Burn Protection > Scrolling, but when I press the center 'OK/select' button or the right arrow button on the remote to activate the scroller, it just closes the menus as if I'd hit the 'EXIT' button. I cannot think of a reason or fault for this behavior. Does anyone else have experience with this issue or even just this model of TV? Maybe it was meant to be removed as a feature on this model, and Samsung forgot to remove the menu option for it? I'm stumped.

For now, I just use a YouTube video of a scrolling pattern via my Nintendo Switch, but it would be great to be able to just use the scroller built into the TV.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Just update the firmware on the television. C and D series plasmas were known to have some goofy software issues, one of which could even make the screen go full red.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgross0 View Post
Just update the firmware on the television. C and D series plasmas were known to have some goofy software issues, one of which could even make the screen go full red.
At the risk of sounding dumb, how does one update these sets? Is it USB-based?
Old 08-07-2021, 11:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, that set should have a USB service only port. You'll have to download the most current software version to a jump drive and then you can update the firmware using the tv's menu.
No guarantee that will solve your issue, but corrupted firmware is the most likely culprit.
Old 08-07-2021, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

I will toss this out there as well: our old Samsung rep told us that the scrolling bar eraser took years of life off the panels in testing, but that they included it to help overcome objections from consumers regarding image retention.
In the store, when we had a set showing signs of 'burn in', we would just use the Disney 'World of Wonder' dvd. It did a great job of eliminating signs of image retention and it also had a pixel flipper that could help 'unstick' stuck pixels on LCD displays.
Audiokarma
Old 08-16-2021, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Yeah, that set should have a USB service only port. You'll have to download the most current software version to a jump drive and then you can update the firmware using the tv's menu.
No guarantee that will solve your issue, but corrupted firmware is the most likely culprit.
I cannot seem to find any available firmware updates online for this TV model. I guess it's entirely possible they have been removed due to the set's age.
Old 10-15-2021, 09:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
I will toss this out there as well: our old Samsung rep told us that the scrolling bar eraser took years of life off the panels in testing, but that they included it to help overcome objections from consumers regarding image retention.
In the store, when we had a set showing signs of 'burn in', we would just use the Disney 'World of Wonder' dvd. It did a great job of eliminating signs of image retention and it also had a pixel flipper that could help 'unstick' stuck pixels on LCD displays.

So it&rsquo;s essentially a Useless feature ? I&rsquo;ve only used it a few times on panny ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-15-2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAzazel View Post
So it&rsquo;s essentially a Useless feature ? I&rsquo;ve only used it a few times on panny ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The scroller is far from useless. It's almost necessary to remove annoying temporary image retention on older plasmas like my Samsung, which is why it's a bit frustrating that I have to use an external source to get a scroller on the screen.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaFreak View Post
The scroller is far from useless. It's almost necessary to remove annoying temporary image retention on older plasmas like my Samsung, which is why it's a bit frustrating that I have to use an external source to get a scroller on the screen.
Dang but it doesn’t reduce panel life as bad as burn in which ruins it … how long does a 1080ppanny plasma last ?
Old 10-17-2021, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingAzazel View Post
Dang but it doesn’t reduce panel life as bad as burn in which ruins it … how long does a 1080ppanny plasma last ?
As far as I have ever been aware, running the scroller a few times a week for several minutes, to clear excessive retention when it happens, is not detrimental to the health of the panel. This one is over a decade old and shows no outward signs of fatigue...still very bright and uniform, with no visible permanent burn.