Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Flat Panels & Digital Format

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-13-2022, 07:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

Samsung UN43NU6900

This is the newest and nicest RSF (roadside find) I have ever found. It is a 2018 , 4K model.
It had a blown fuse caused by a shorted MOSFET (type 60R360QS).
This MOSFET is a plastic TO-220 type made by Magnachip (whoever they are).
The input panel has an RJ45 jack for connection to a network BUT no analog inputs!
Is this the new world order for digital TV's? I'm not sure how well these would sell if consumers can't connect their legacy equipment to them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Samsung_front.jpg (82.4 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung_back.jpg (83.3 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Samsung_inputs.jpg (63.8 KB, 20 views)
Old 07-13-2022, 11:52 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice find! Samsung is very stingy on connections for their low end sets. A few years ago they didn't even have an audio output! At least they added the optical out back in.
Old 07-13-2022, 04:24 PM
M is for Memory

Fewer sets are supporting analog inputs, and for a long time now signal sources aren't supporting analog output. HDMI is a 20 year old spec now and there isn't much of anything made in 15 years that doesn't have HDMI output. Heck many of the VHS/DVD combos even had HDMI out for the VCR. At least you can still get new analog to HDMI converters.

Ironically alot of these newish sets will still tune analog NTSC (some hotels etc still use it for their internal cable system) so if you have an analog source with an RF output you can hook it to the antenna jack and use it.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Old 07-16-2022, 03:40 AM
Retired Batwings Tech

They want you to dump your legacy and buy their new junk. I have a samsung pn64f8600 and it only has two analog inputs on 1/8" mini-plugs, one composite/S-video and a Y-PB/PR component on a 4-ring. Everything else is HDMI and ATSC. Despite the digital bells & whistles this thing might be re-homed as it doesn't get along with my DigiBeta.
Old 07-16-2022, 11:30 AM
M is for Memory

Even in the analog days there were a good number of sets that were RF only or only had one AV input...when I got into retro game consoles as a kid I had to get a couple of AV switch boxes so my first 3 gens of Nintendo consoles, and VCR and whatever else I had could share an input without constant cable swaps... my analog racks still have switchers, but I've upgraded the more important stuff to use an old home theater amp as a remote controlled analog AV switch.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-16-2022, 09:59 PM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electronic M View Post
Even in the analog days there were a good number of sets that were RF only or only had one AV input...when I got into retro game consoles as a kid I had to get a couple of AV switch boxes so my first 3 gens of Nintendo consoles, and VCR and whatever else I had could share an input without constant cable swaps... my analog racks still have switchers, but I've upgraded the more important stuff to use an old home theater amp as a remote controlled analog AV switch.
The only analog inputs on my Insignia 32" HDTV I can see are one coax jack for an OTA antenna and three RCA jacks for analog video sources such as a VCR. Everything else is digital, including two HDMI inputs. These jacks work, and very well (I have my DVD player hooked up to one and my Roku device to the other); however, to use the three analog video inputs, which are located directly below the display panel, I must either turn the wood shelf I have the set mounted on about 45 degrees or else set the TV on its screen.

I don't like to do the latter since, of course, the LCD panel on all HDTVs is extremely fragile; one slip and the panel will be permanently destroyed. It is for this reason I wish there were some other way to reach those analog RCA jacks, as I'd like to hook up my VCR (a 1980s Panasonic) to my TV (I have maybe 50 old VHS tapes just sitting around gathering dust as I write this). I would do just that but, as I said, there is just too much risk of damaging the TV's LCD display if anything, and I do mean anything, happens to push the TV off the stand.

IMHO, the set should have been designed with the analog video input jacks mounted anywhere but directly under the LCD display panel. (I think these inputs were mounted where they are because the design engineers may have figured these jacks would not be used very much, if at all.) Where they are now, it is extremely difficult, not to mention dangerous, to plug anything into them without worrying about the very real danger of the TV falling onto its screen.

However, I just this second thought of one way around this problem. Set the TV on its back cover, connect the VCR cable, then put the set back on the wood shelf and connect the other end of the cable to the VCR. Problem solved, with no danger of damaging the TV or the VCR.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.