Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:56 PM
VideoKarma Member

the cardboard did not help much so I stopped when it hit 125f. So I am back to the active cooling idea. I plan to hit the surplus joint and buy some sheet metal prob copper or alum since its easy to work, and check out the different fans.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:41 AM
On Land

That was indeed an interesting read about the cage design. Makes one realize there was a hell of a lot more thought put into design than one might think at first!

Dave... curious... did you happen to compare temperatures with other chassis using wax flys?

He who dies with the most toys still dies.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

They seem to be all over the place, but most run hotter than I like. I have never had one that was under 100f after a long run like 1 hour or more.

I just got back from the surplus store. here is what I cobbled together, starting with some 1.5" ID foam pipe (used for insulation) I taped the seam, then using a soldering gun I melted out a square shape at the top so the square muffin would sit down into the pipe, the ID of the fan was about the same for a smooth transistion thru the duct. this is the top the fan will sit outside the fan cage. near the bottom of the pipe I cut a rounded slot that fits loosely over the tire, with enough room to allow the air to come out and flow over the tire. On the bottom I fashioned a foam plug that seals the bottom and conforms to the same cut out. With hindsight would have just fille it with some foam and then used the solder gun to cut the slot on the bottom, but it should work well enough to see if the idea has any merit.

I have the fan running on a 9v battery (12vdc rated fan), its much smaller and less air than the larger muffin that I was using before, but will see if it works or not soon Oz is on now will run for about 30 min and check.

this requres no mods to the cage but for a new top with a hole cut in it for the pipe and an outlet hole. since the top is swung open completly right now I will test it again with the fan/pipe out and the top wide open to see how much is fan and how much is just the open top.

Last edited by DaveWM; 12-01-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

I did buy some copper sheet as well to fashion a new top JIC it this works out. I really need to incorporate a couple slight bends to make it fit better as the flanges of the cage made it a bit of a tight fit coming out, but that should be an easy fix.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:40 PM
VideoKarma Member

being a man of science I think I see if I can zip tie on a thermistor to the fly on the core and take some resistance over time measurement to see if I can get a better feel for what works best.

If that does not work then she is a witch, burn her....
Audiokarma
Old 12-01-2012, 05:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveWM View Post
being a man of science I think I see if I can zip tie on a thermistor to the fly on the core
Just be careful that the horizontal flyback pulse doesn't couple into the thermister leads, else the ohmmeter may get confused. And also don't create a sneak path for high voltage static discharge if you connect the DVM to it, there's a risk the meter may get zapped.