Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early Color Television

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 12-21-2012, 11:14 AM
VideoKarma Member

Weaker blue gun

I have a round 21FJP or whatever that number is , the red and green are nice and high , the blue is weak , my question is is there a way to rejuve just the blue gun ? or am i better off just turning up the blue drive just a tad ? i could put a brightener on it but the other guns would be pushed for no reason unless theres a way to just push the blue.

mike
Old 12-21-2012, 11:29 AM
VideoKarma Member

If you can get a blue line while doing proper setup by cranking the screen all they way up then advancing the bias leave it alone and use it. Rejuvenating is only a temporary fix that only shortens the overall life of that gun
Old 12-23-2012, 09:18 AM
VideoKarma Member

Although I agree with CTC17, your answer is yes. If what's mentioned already doesn't help you achieve good tracking then you may not have much choice but to do something or live with it. As discussed on many posts here, there are a lot of understandable opinions on rejuvinating. Heck, even the instructions that came with rejuvinators/testers are vague as they really leave it up to you.

I can't say I'm a fan of using brightners either regarding your concern.
Old 12-23-2012, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

And if you try and crank that gun too far, it'll just smear as it can't turn off fast enough.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:15 PM
VideoKarma Member

thanks for the input , i was just thinking of a little tweak nothing major.

mike
Audiokarma
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 PM
Frenchy

Not sure why you would suggest a brightener as an option, if it appeared to you that you could just get away with turning up the blue drive a bit. Normally the drives are never going to be set exactly the same anyway.
To me a brightener is more of a last case option if several or all the guns are weak and you can't get a clean grey scale setup or you have other picture problems from the weak guns. You should first do that setup, then see how far you had to crank everything up to get it (blue drive & overall bias setting). Then there's that old switcharoo trick with the video drive controls' wiring but that's only if you can't get good grey scale tracking as the set and tube are now. Can you do the grey scale setup and post the results?
Old 12-27-2012, 12:28 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 12-05-2021 at 08:07 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:04 AM
VideoKarma Member

i don't have it up and running yet , these are all hypothetical questions , once i have it running then i will know , the weak gun is based on reading the crt guns with a tester.

mike