Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-13-2024, 08:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

1965 Zenith MT1960 Console Stereo Issues

Hello everyone, I was just given over the weekend by my uncle a 1965 Zenith AM-FM Stereo Console model MT1960 that used to belong to the mother of one of his friends he used to go to school with that he still runs around with and she had just recently passed away at the age of 93 and she took pretty good care of the stuff she had.

So far I have changed out the filter capacitors that were bad, and replaced the 12AX7 tube that was in the amplifier because it had a dead section and was causing only one channel to function in the radio.

There is another bizarre issue that this stereo has that I haven't been able to track down yet and that is that when you turn the radio to either FM or AM mode the radio shuts off completely but when its either in Phono mode or FM AFC mode the radio works as it should and I was wondering what would cause the mode/power switch to not power on the unit in AM or FM mode but allow it to power on in FM AFC or Phono Mode?

This is an all tube unit that uses the really weird 19v tubes in the tuner section, like the 19EA8 and a 19GQ7 tube the rest of the tubes in the tuner are normal 12v tubes like the 12BA6 12BE6 and 12AU6 and 12DT8, I checked all of the tubes in the tuner section and all of the tubes checked good yet except the 19GQ7 and one of the 12BA6s.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with these late Zenith tube console stereos and some of the issues they can have.