Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Removing the HV / 2nd Anode for Alignment?

Noob question: Many TV alignment instructions say to remove, tape up and keep it away from the chassis prior to alignment. Why is this done?

Ive removed the anode lead from the crt many times to work on the set when off but never when the set is on. Makes me a little nervous to do that and how much electrical tape do I need to wrap around it to prevent arcing?
Old 07-24-2020, 11:38 AM
VideoKarma Member

Of course they do not mean disconnect it while the TV is on, in fact if it had been on recently it would need to be discharge before you disconnected it.
I made that statement in case a really green newbie reads it.
I think what you read is intended to lessen the chance that you get zapped with the charge on the CRT that would develop. Many people put the anode wire end into a glass jar. I wouldn't use tape for insulation because it would take many layers. You could use tape to make sure the lead doesn't slip out of the jar, in fact it might be a good idea to tape the jar in place to it doesn't tip over. It is always a good idea to have the CRT discharged before you put the chassis/CRT back in the cabinet.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:09 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks Notimetolooz, and I get the Python reference in your handle and pic...nice.

Anyway, yeah im planning to do alignment on a set - it will be my first, so just wondering why the disconnecting was necessary. I dont see my hands getting close to the crt during adjustment only when the set is off will i be near just to place the floating dummy antenna/tube shield over the mixer tube.

I was thinking that perhaps the crt being on adversely affects the alignment readings or something during the procedure.
Old 07-24-2020, 12:18 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yeah, I think it just a safety thing. If it cause any interference while aligning the problem would still be there when the set is all done. You aren't preventing any circuits from running by disconnecting the CRT anode.
Old 07-24-2020, 02:31 PM
M is for Memory

Some sets don't have enough room between the CRT and IF cans to allow aligning with the CRT installed. Other sets where the CRT bolts to the cabinet but not the chassis assume you will pull the chassis out of the set and align it on the bench.

Zenith: The quality stays in EVEN after the name falls off!
What I want. --> http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.p...62&postcount=4
Audiokarma
Old 07-24-2020, 02:48 PM
VideoKarma Member

OK, then it sounds like it may not be necessary then...

heres the TV in question, a 57 Travler, and the coils mostly face away from the picture tube , on the chassis. I think there are a couple that are on the other side of the chassis, pointing toward the crt, but theyre really not near the anode.

https://ibb.co/ggMD5SB

https://ibb.co/72VYcp1