Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Rectangular Screen Tube Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-22-2010, 10:02 PM
VideoKarma Member

We get a ch 7.3 RTV from Detroit which has some old shows, but I've never seen Hawaii-5-0 on it. I've heard that you can get it on a ch 38 from Detroit, but I haven't been able to pull that one in.
Old 05-23-2010, 02:19 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
We get a ch 7.3 RTV from Detroit which has some old shows, but I've never seen Hawaii-5-0 on it. I've heard that you can get it on a ch 38 from Detroit, but I haven't been able to pull that one in.
I looked up channel 38 on TV Guide's web site and on Google, and found the following information. It is WADL-TV, licensed to Mt. Clemens, Michigan; the station is a 5-megawatt UHF television station that serves the Detroit metropolitan area. I don't know where Mt. Clemens is except that it is a Detroit suburb. However, from where you are, you should be able to get channel 38 both OTA in digital and, of course, on cable. The TV Guide listing also showed a subchannel (WADL-DT1), that is mostly sports programming, branded "US 38"--at least at night. I don't know about their daytime programming.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:33 AM
VideoKarma Member

Oh no, vertical shrink I fall asleep on the couch watching this set last night and wake up in the middle of the night to see the set lacking in vert size (only by about 1" top and bottom). Haven't looked into it yet. This is why I don't collect color sets in quantity anymore, they seem to constantly need repairs, in comparison after I fix a b/w set it tends to stay fixed.
Old 05-31-2010, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

did you try to adj the vert height? mine has a slight keystone horz going on, I fear the yoke but have not checked a thing on it yet.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
VideoKarma Member

I brought the picture back to full size adjusting the vert height and lin controls, but something must have drifted in value to cause that, so I don't know if it'll stay put or get worse, but I've been watching it for an hour or so now, seems ok.
Audiokarma
Old 08-17-2010, 03:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

problems with focus

Now I turn this set on, and the picture comes up not in focus, takes it about 15 minutes or so for the focus to gradually get better. Any likely causes I should be looking for?
Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM
VideoKarma Member

First, check the CRT socket for any corrosion around the focus pin. If that's OK, you likely have a bad HV tripler or focus divider. Some early versions of this set used a seperate focus divider and HV tripler. The later ones used a tripler with a built in focus divider (NTE526, IIRC). If your set is the older type with the seperate focus divider and tripler, you can use one of the newer triplers to replace both parts.

In the early '90's, someone gave me a 19" "F" line Zenith CCII that had the exact same problem and the trouble was a defective tripler.
Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

I agree to check the crt socket first. Look to see if there's any green corrosion on the focus pin, and clean it. Sometimes, there are carbon trails inside the socket between the spark gaps, and the socket needs to be replaced.

Charles
Old 10-29-2010, 07:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

I finally got back to this set, the crt socket was ok, tripler was bad. I replaced it with one of those focus divider/triplers in one unit. The picture is now better than it ever was. I also went and swapped out those 5 white .0018-1.6kv capacitors known for causing problems, while I was in there.
Old 10-30-2010, 12:31 PM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
I finally got back to this set, the crt socket was ok, tripler was bad. I replaced it with one of those focus divider/triplers in one unit. The picture is now better than it ever was. I also went and swapped out those 5 white .0018-1.6kv capacitors known for causing problems, while I was in there.
That's good to hear! And smart move on the safety caps. There's no feeling like turning the TV on, and hearing "zzzzZZZZZSSSSST-PFFFFfffffffff", as the neck falls off the tube and rattles onto the chassis.

Charles
Old 11-03-2010, 09:17 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here's a pic of it working...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010827.jpg (40.1 KB, 84 views)
Old 11-04-2010, 07:59 AM
VideoKarma Member

Nice, curious it she width correct, or does the sweep seem to far on the right? I have a 25DC56 and I lose quite a bit on the right, can see no adj for width or horz position to center up the loss.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

I picked up the hang-tag for this tv. Here's scans of it...

I also picked up some of those channel numbers with it, thinking I would finally not have to have duplicate numbers on my set, but they don't fit, they're too tall. It's odd, I wonder if they got mixed up with those from another set.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 74zenith1.jpg (98.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg 74zenith2.jpg (96.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 02-21-2012, 09:13 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kx250rider View Post
That's good to hear! And smart move on the safety caps. There's no feeling like turning the TV on, and hearing "zzzzZZZZZSSSSST-PFFFFfffffffff", as the neck falls off the tube and rattles onto the chassis.
Not to be picayunish, but the severed neck didn't exactly fall off as it was still captured inside the yoke which was securely strapped to the jug. The only ones i ever seen were cut right where the neck joins the bell.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:59 AM
REAL TVs have TUBES!

Quote:
This is one of 2 sets I picked up from drh4683 yesterday, it uses the very last of the horizontal solid state chassis, and the SC600 remote. Initially turning it on only revealed 2 minor problems, a dirty vol control and a problem with the channel number lights staying lit. The picture on this set is excellent, the remote unit works consistently, but after watching it for a while last night, I had more trouble with the sound. Sometimes the sound will just cut out entirely, when this happens I can still hear static when I turn the volume control, so the audio output is still working. Turning the set on and off a few times always restores the sound. This uses the 150-214 sound module, which has no transistors, just 2 ICs. Once I fix the sound, this set will probably replace my ctc-10 as my main watching set.

The other set I picked up is this 63 Zenith 19" b/w SC300 in the metal cabinet. The set itself needs some cleaning up, but works fine, although the remote receiver isn't working at all. If anyone has any of the built in antennas that go with these, I now have 3 sets that need them. I also need to come up with something to replace the missing 4 plastic pads on the bottom of this set. I think I could never collect too many Zenith b/w sets in metal cabinets, this is my 5th.
I think I've said this before, but here goes again: That chassis is the best TV ever built, and will work forever. I have plenty of parts for those, and even a few complete working spare sets. On the audio issue, I'd first check/clean/tighten the pin sockets on the IF module, and also pull the chassis and resolder EVERY ground lug (at both ends, and in some cases in the center) of each terminal strip on that chassis. By doing that, you will pre-repair about 99.999% of all known issues.

That tuner and controller can be a bit quirky, and there were two versions of it (electromechanical and full-electronic), and the electromechanical one sometimes gets problems with tuner drifting and lights going out. Again, cleaning and touching up solder connections will fix that.

Charles