Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Vintage TV & Radio Tech Forum

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-03-2014, 10:07 AM
Looking For Time

Ground Loop "Hum" Using BT Modulator

I've searched this a bit and found a few threads here and there where other folks report having the same problem, but no one reported a solution.
I am using a Blonder Tongue AM60-450 modulator with a dipole antenna to broadcast analog channel 3 throughout my home. The setup has plenty of range for my needs and both audio and video are quite clear. My problem is that I am experiencing a "ground loop", that is I have a white line that "rolls" up the screen from the bottom to the top. I have tried both an off air ATSC tuner, and a BLuray disc player for my sources and they both exhibit the same symptom. I have removed the ground from the modulator's three prong plug with an adapter with no results. I have also removed any copper connection to my cable company, also with no results (this is the culprit 99% of the time in my professional experience with "new" systems). Does any one have any ideas on what could be causing this, and what might solve it?
Old 02-03-2014, 12:36 PM
VideoKarma Member

If you connect the output of the B-T directly to the TV, do you still see the "hum bar"?
jr

Edit add: I have observed occasional "hum" on strong shortwave signals, due to "hum modulation", perhaps something similar is occuring :

http://home.computer.net/~pritch/shortwav.htm

Last edited by jr_tech; 02-03-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: add link
Old 02-03-2014, 03:24 PM
VideoKarma Member

My AM60-550A modulator developed the slow-moving horizontal bar after a couple of years of continuous use. Replacing the electrolytics in the power supply cured it:

http://antiqueradio.org/HomeTVTransmitter.htm

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
Old 02-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Nelson View Post
My AM60-550A modulator developed the slow-moving horizontal bar after a couple of years of continuous use. Replacing the electrolytics in the power supply cured it:

http://antiqueradio.org/HomeTVTransmitter.htm

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html
This is where I was leaning, but I thought I'd ask first. How did you get that board out? It seems like it is adhered to the side of the chassis with something in addition to the three screws.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:55 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
If you connect the output of the B-T directly to the TV, do you still see the "hum bar"?
jr
I do.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:29 PM
VideoKarma Member

If so, then I would suspect power supply caps.

jr
Old 02-04-2014, 02:18 PM
Looking For Time

Out of curiosity, what would you theorize if the symptom went away with a direct connection?
Old 02-04-2014, 03:01 PM
VideoKarma Member

"Out of curiosity, what would you theorize if the symptom went away with a direct connection? "

I would suspect that something like the "hum modulation" (see post 2) was occuring... somehow the transmitted signal was being combined with 60 Hz after it leaves the transmitter. I hear this once in a while on strong Shortwave signals.

jr
Old 02-04-2014, 03:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vts1134 View Post
How did you get that board out? It seems like it is adhered to the side of the chassis with something in addition to the three screws.
I don't recall doing anything tricky to remove that board. In my photo showing the new caps the board looks like it may have four empty screw holes.

Phil Nelson
Old 02-05-2014, 07:10 AM
Looking For Time

The adhesive holding the board to the chassis was pretty soft. I was able to coax the it out. Now I just wait on the replacement caps.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 AM
Looking For Time

Swapped 4 new filter capacitors into the modulator today, no dice . I'm going to go looking for some external causes in the environment, dimmers, motors, etc. I was also thinking of taking the modulator to work with me and seeing if the problem persists.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:55 PM
VideoKarma Member

On one of my B-T AM-60-550 units, I had a rolling bar which was antenna-dependent. upon installation of a proper coax run and dipole antenna, the issue went away 100 percent of the time. Prior to the antenna switch, I was using an F-connector-to-300 ohm balun and I figure that's what caused it.
Old 02-11-2014, 04:59 PM
VideoKarma Member

Did you try unplugging (not just turning off), one by one, every appliance and electronic device in your domicile? Often this can identify the source of the hum.
But if you live in an apartment with adjoining units, this won't help if the source is in another unit.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:22 AM
Looking For Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by old_coot88 View Post
Did you try unplugging (not just turning off), one by one, every appliance and electronic device in your domicile? Often this can identify the source of the hum.
But if you live in an apartment with adjoining units, this won't help if the source is in another unit.
I did unplug the other items on the same circuit as the modulator, source unit, and test monitor to no avail. This is a really great suggestion though. I remember going on a service call for a CD player and amplifier that had static noise in the background. I never heard static quite like this before and after swapping out the CD player and getting the same results I started unplugging things. It turns out the problem was this machine that "created ozone for therapeutic purposes". It looked like a quack device to me (this was a boutique beauty salon). The machine created this interference even when it was turned off! It was a great learning experience for me and I remember it every time I have a problem (work or hobby).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenith2134 View Post
On one of my B-T AM-60-550 units, I had a rolling bar which was antenna-dependent. upon installation of a proper coax run and dipole antenna, the issue went away 100 percent of the time. Prior to the antenna switch, I was using an F-connector-to-300 ohm balun and I figure that's what caused it.
This has to be the problem. When I connected the modulator directly to the TV before I was simply paralleling off of the antenna directly to the TV, which as I said before didn't solve the symptom. This morning I took the antenna off of the modulator all together and did a straight connection from the RF output on the modulator into a matching transformer to my test monitor. Absolutely clean signal with no hum bar . I will experiment with different antenna setups to see what configuration gives me hum free operation.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

I haven't had my agile modulators apart, but I reckon that the hum-bar is some type of RF reflection back into the final stage, which certainly should be avoided. If these were higher power transmitters, any reflection could theoretically smoke the final RF stage.
However I am not certain that this is what's happening.
Audiokarma