Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > General Off Topic Forums

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 02-23-2018, 11:18 AM
<----Zenith C845

Wrong local TV channels on Spectrum TV app

For the last week or so, I have been having a problem with the Spectrum TV app for Roku. The application does not receive (using Spectrum's streaming TV service, Spectrum TV Choice) the correct local TV channels for my area, near Cleveland; instead, I am getting local TV from Cincinnati, Ohio. I have complained several times to Spectrum about this, but the response I get, over and over again (!), is the problem will be resolved "within 24 to 48 hours". As I write this, that time period is almost up, and my local channels are still wrong. I do hope by the end of the day today (certainly by tomorrow morning at the latest), my problem is resolved, once and for all.

As I said, I have been putting up with this incorrect channel nonsense for over a week, and am tired of it. I'd go to an antenna and give up cable altogether, but TV antennas do not work well in my area, meaning I am stuck with cable and YouTube TV. The latter service does receive the correct Cleveland local channels, and I am in fact using it to watch local TV until the problem with my cable is resolved; however, it is a ridiculous workaround since it means I am paying for two services, when I should only have to pay for the cable.

Is anyone else having the same problem with Spectrum's Roku app getting the wrong local TV stations for their area? I have read on Spectrum's discussion forums for Spectrum TV on Roku that many other people are having the same problem; for example, one person near Scranton, Pennsylvania wrote that his Spectrum Roku app was getting New York City local TV, when it should be receiving local broadcast channels from Scranton.

Good grief! This is no way to run a cable television company. I have had cable service with Spectrum for over 35 years, before it even was Spectrum; this is without a doubt the worst service I have ever had. As I said, I hope this monkey business with my Spectrum app getting entirely wrong local channels is resolved soon, or else I will cancel my service and use YouTube TV for local TV; as for retro TV shows (which I watch much more than I watch network TV), I will use Hulu, not to mention my own collection of VHS tapes and DVDs, to get the shows I grew up with.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-04-2018 at 01:34 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 09:09 PM
<----Zenith C845

Update: I finally switched back to standard cable service today. Works much better than the previous "Spectrum TV Choice" package I had, which was always and forever getting the wrong local TV channels (Cincinnati rather than Cleveland, the latter being the channels I want since I live about 30 miles east of that city; I have no use whatsoever for Cincinnati TV). I called Spectrum (formerly Time Warner Cable) this afternoon, for the umpteenth time (!), and requested that my cable service be switched back to standard, and in about 15 minutes or so, give or take, I was back to the standard cable service. As a nice bonus, the new service is actually several dollars cheaper than what I was paying for the package I had, so I guess everything worked out for the best.

BTW, I guess Spectrum (formerly TWC) is having more than its share of problems with its "TV Choice" video package, which allows subscribers to pick their own channels, up to ten, in addition to a "base" package including local channels. My beef was not with that feature or with the video or audio quality of the service; rather, I was having the devil of a time with the service switching to Cincinnati local TV stations almost every day--even after I called the company about the issue. The fix would last about one day at most, then I would be seeing Cincy channels again. (This whole thing started about a month ago, when my cable service, actually the Spectrum TV app for Roku, was getting Rochester, New York stations; after that, the first round of problems with Cincinnati stations, and finally, my switching back to standard cable.)

Finally, after putting up with this nonsense for two weeks (!), I had had enough, and called TWC this afternoon to go back to standard cable. They were able to switch my service right over the phone in very short order, as I mentioned, and I was watching TV again, on the correct Cleveland local TV channels, shortly thereafter.

Has anyone else here had the same experience with Spectrum's "TV Choice" streaming television service? I am in no way "knocking" Spectrum or its video packages; I am simply curious as to others' experiences with the company's cable services. A Spectrum representative told me over the phone that the problem I was having was actually caused by the same account number being used by another subscriber besides myself; the other subscriber must be in the Cincinnati area. Why the company would give two subscribers the same account number is a mystery to me.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 03-06-2018 at 09:32 PM.