Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
Administrator

What cartridge/needle does it need?

Working on a Motorola 26F2 record player (Sams set 367, folder 9, date 8/57). It's got very low volume, so I'm going to start with a replacement cart. Can anyone guide me to a part number?

Appreciate it guys
Old 01-18-2012, 10:23 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does the original cartridge have two mounting screws, that are spaced approx. 1/2" apart and does this record player have a preamp stage ahead of the final output tube? If so, I'd use a modern cartridge like a Pfanstiehl P228, available from www.thevoiceofmusic.com. This is a stereo cartridge and the two channels will need to be wired in parallel for mono. The VM site also sells a P228 based cartridge kit that will allow mounting in tonearms that don't have the standard 1/2" mounts.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:05 AM
VideoKarma Member

Sams says an EV 56, which is the same as an Astatic 93T / 93TX. I think they called them "powerpoint" cartridges, very common. If the mount is still present, picking one up on eBay isn't difficult. If you need a mount there's a possibility someone here may have one around - I think they're getting hard to find "over the counter."
Old 01-19-2012, 05:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Does the original cartridge have two mounting screws, that are spaced approx. 1/2" apart and does this record player have a preamp stage ahead of the final output tube? If so, I'd use a modern cartridge like a Pfanstiehl P228, available from www.thevoiceofmusic.com. This is a stereo cartridge and the two channels will need to be wired in parallel for mono. The VM site also sells a P228 based cartridge kit that will allow mounting in tonearms that don't have the standard 1/2" mounts.
I'm going to have to go to the V-M site soon to get some parts to restore the changer in my V-M console. It does have the mount you describe.

Checked out AUdubon5425's suggestion for the Astatic 93T....the one in the tonearm looks different, as it has a dual needle setup. The markings on the one in there say SHURE 603 P9FWB, but I couldn't seem to come up with a match to that data. Of course that may not be original, either.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:47 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does it look like one of these?

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Astatic-711_p_624.html

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Astatic-422_p_2229.html

I guess a pic of what you're working with would help. I'll say that the 93T listed in the Sams for your set had an output voltage of 1.5v, so whatever winds up in there you'll want to stay pretty close to that spec. If the current cart is 0.5 that very well could be causing your low volume issue.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:12 AM
Administrator

Lemme get a pic of this thing when I get some time later today.....it's kind of unique.