Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:37 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Zenith 25DC56 console TV acquired!

Well, it all worked out. I went to that estate sale today and picked up this Zenith for a whopping $20. It's got its problems though. There are numerous wiring problems involving the flyback and the tripler. The CRT socket is also melted. Other than that, it's not too bad. It has the original tube which is a 25VBQP22. I do like this TV quite a lot. I plugged it in for a few seconds - there is audio, but no HV.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 03:44 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
Well, it all worked out. I went to that estate sale today and picked up this Zenith for a whopping $20. It's got its problems though. There are numerous wiring problems involving the flyback and the tripler. The CRT socket is also melted. Other than that, it's not too bad. It has the original tube which is a 25VBQP22. I do like this TV quite a lot. I plugged it in for a few seconds - there is audio, but no HV.

Congrats on the pickup!

1997 RCA Colortrak 27" Console
1987 Zenith 19" V3912W
Old 04-28-2016, 04:10 PM
TheUniversalDave1

About three hours later, and I finally got the set cleaned up. If two words could describe the set as found, they would be HEAVY and DISGUSTING. It's still heavy, but cleaning it up made a world of difference.

Last edited by TUD1; 03-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:20 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Here is the 25DC56. If you look near the flyback, you can see some loose wiring and on the tripler there is some very thin wire that's barely holding on.

Last edited by TUD1; 01-30-2017 at 05:05 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 04:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

That is a good looking set and it looks like new after you cleaned it! Good luck restoring it and I look forward to seeing your progress.
Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2016, 05:09 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks, Radiotronman. I'm going to call up my friend Danny and ask for his consensus on the melted socket and no HV. I'm really looking forward to watching this set. I've been wanting a delta gun Zenith for quite a while now.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:09 PM
jbattles

Yep they are as ever. When i had a service call it was to an apartment and seams like it was on the top floor. if I had to take it back to the shop for bench work i had to take it down 4 or 5 flights of stairs. they are greats sets loved them they were and still are the best chassis ever. <y back harts thinking about it lol. i happy for you good luck with it.

if i was you i would find and spare Tripler and focus divider.
Old 04-28-2016, 05:40 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Oh boy. If I had to carry this thing down five flights of steps, I'd find another job. By the time I got it to the truck (with the help of two other men,) I was exhausted. And I'm 6'5".

Old 04-28-2016, 05:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

On the socket pic the melt down is at the focus pin(9) and on the flyback pic i see 2 of the nasty white 22-5001 safety caps, check them 1 or more or open to cause that kind of damage to the socket. Check H.O.T.,damper diode, video output transistors and video driver transistor to start. When the safety caps open H.V. skyrockets also check the CRT as it may be ruined. Hopping for the best,Tom
Old 04-28-2016, 06:16 PM
TheUniversalDave1

Thanks for the information. I really hope the CRT is still good. What I'll probably do is replace those blown caps and replace the CRT socket. That much I can handle. Anything more than that and I'll probably need help. I'm going to the radio club this Saturday - I was told that there are some CRT testers there that they want to get rid of.

Audiokarma
Old 04-28-2016, 07:13 PM
sampson159

this will be an easy restore for you.a little solder here and there and your in business.dont worry,crt will be like new
Old 04-28-2016, 07:21 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I sure hope so. I don't have a test pattern generator to do any convergence or purity or anything. I'm going to take a look at those capacitors and replace them and replace the CRT socket, and hopefully, I'll be in business.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:09 PM
TheUniversalDave1

I've been informed that you have to replace those white safety caps with proprietary caps. I didn't know there was a such a thing as proprietary capacitors, but OK. I'm taking the chassis down to the radio club this weekend to give it a thorough cleaning.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:39 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUD1 View Post
I've been informed that you have to replace those white safety caps with proprietary caps. I didn't know there was a such a thing as proprietary capacitors, but OK. I'm taking the chassis down to the radio club this weekend to give it a thorough cleaning.
Yes you MUST. There are 2 on the flyback & 3 more under the chassis.
They are 22-5001 Zenith OEM. If you cant find them check with
findemkeepem (sp?) he can point you to the RIGHT substitute.
You can use almost any socket. The only difference in Zenith
sockets I ever found is lead length & push on connectors.
The tripler has been changed & focus divider deleted. If you change
it back USE OEM. IIRC the divider is NOT the common 800-616 kit.
Check with someone with a parts book for subs. IIRC its 63-9898
but its been years.

Here is the scenario...
One or more caps opened & the HV & focus went up. That
caused the socket to arc, the divider to crack or melt then
finally the tripler to burn or open. A butcher moused the set
but left it with bad caps so it happend again. Now odds are the
tripler is gone again.

73 Zeno
Old 04-29-2016, 08:23 AM
TheUniversalDave1

I talked to Danny yesterday, and he told me that he had some proprietary capacitors he would give me the next time I go over there. I'll guess I'll also replace the tripler. Anyone know the part number of the tripler? Do y'all think the horizontal output transistor is still any good? I checked my tripler inventory, and I have four of them. ECG533, ECG534, ECG535, and ECG550.

Last edited by TUD1; 04-29-2016 at 08:29 AM.
Audiokarma