Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Portable Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-06-2015, 11:55 AM
VideoKarma Member

KV5100 & KV5000 Picture Tube Swapping

Okay so, I scored a KV5100 on eBay for $20 plus shipping and it functions! The convergence is appalling though. and Blue BKG refuses to adjust at all. I already have a couple KV5100 sets so I mostly purchased this one for parts.

My biggest hope is the tube was low hours, which it appears to be. It's very bright despite the convergence being completely crappy. I can see a red green and blue outline on everything, but it's still sharp and very crisp.

I want to swap it's tube in to my KV5000, which has a weak tube. How hard is this process? Are they the same tube?

My KV5000 has a serious case of the pinks. It turns in from cold and it is disgustingly pink, which never totally goes away, and it's dull, even with the brightness and picture turned up. So I believe the tube to be very weak.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:12 PM
VideoKarma Member

Actually scrap that...

I took a little time and mended some cold solder joints on the board and flipped though my photofacts and the set works perfectly. I was able to line it all back up with minor adjustments and it displays a perfect picture now.

I don't have the heart to use it for parts.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:19 PM
VideoKarma Member

Hm. I would not feel bad ripping a CRT out of a PVM. Is there any more information about those PVM's? I know they made 5" for many years.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:31 AM
Administrator

Eight five inch PVMs on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-PVM-504...item58ca833e62
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2015, 12:34 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric H View Post
I was hoping it was these. So they use a picture tube that will swap in to these old sets and offer a much better picture? I may look in to seeing if I can find one that doesn't have a billion hours on it and swap it's tube in to my 5000. It has the weakest tube of all my sets.

I never would have thought of the PVM as using the same tube.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:54 AM
VideoKarma Member

Last edited by andy; 11-20-2021 at 03:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:48 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
The one I'm thinking of was a 3 screen rack mount monitor. I'll see if I can remember the model number.
I suspect that most of these rack mounted monitors were bolted into racks and left on 24/7 for YEARS... might be hard to find one with a good CRT?

jr
Old 08-07-2015, 12:07 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy View Post
You'll need to go a little older than the PVM-504 which uses a shorter neck and flatter screen. The one I'm thinking of would be from the late 70's, or early 80's. The one I'm thinking of was a 3 screen rack mount monitor. I'll see if I can remember the model number. Now that I'm thinking about it, I think the black matrix CRTs may have been later replacement parts for these older 5" monitors.

I might have an extra CRT from a KV-5100 if you're interested. I need to check what I have in the parts stash.
If you do I may be interested. I think the KV5000 was one of the last Sony sets where when plugged in and powered off, voltage is always applied to the tube.

Plus I think mine is very high hours. Poor thing suffers the pinks terrible.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcanine View Post
If you do I may be interested. I think the KV5000 was one of the last Sony sets where when plugged in and powered off, voltage is always applied to the tube.
I don't think that is so... try an experiment... measure warm-up time under two conditions:

1. TV set unplugged, power switch on... plug in and measure warm-up time.
2. TV plugged in power switch off... turn on and measure warm-up time.

In BOTH conditions, my 5000 takes about 5-6 seconds to produce a visible raster and hits near full brightness in about 10-12 seconds.

I understand that Sony used a *Directly Heated* low power (180 mw?) cathode in these CRTs to achieve the rapid warm up.

jr
Audiokarma
Old 08-07-2015, 03:30 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr_tech View Post
I don't think that is so... try an experiment... measure warm-up time under two conditions:

1. TV set unplugged, power switch on... plug in and measure warm-up time.
2. TV plugged in power switch off... turn on and measure warm-up time.

In BOTH conditions, my 5000 takes about 5-6 seconds to produce a visible raster and hits near full brightness in about 10-12 seconds.

I understand that Sony used a *Directly Heated* low power (180 mw?) cathode in these CRTs to achieve the rapid warm up.

jr
From stone cold, and not plugged in the last 2 months, 07.31 Seconds to come completely to life. About 20 seconds to produce a normal picture with no pink.

06.78 Seconds plugged in for an hour, switch off to come back to life.

Timed it with my iPhone.
Old 08-08-2015, 12:27 PM
VideoKarma Member

In contrast, my 9000 which has *indirectly heated* CRT cathodes and applies reduced heater power to the CRT heaters when plugged in and turned off, exhibits the following behavior:

From stone cold (stored unplugged for months)... about 15 seconds to just visible raster, about 30 seconds to nearly full brightness (still slightly green).

After being plugged in (but turned off) for at least an hour... about 2.5 seconds to just visible raster and nearly full brightness in about 8 seconds (still slightly green)

jr