Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Transistor Radio

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:18 PM
Another CT-100 lives!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Next is a Juliette AK-6. It's AM and 9 volts. Still has the original box, instructions, earphone, and plastic carrying case. Fresh battery and plays fine!
That looks just like my first radio, except mine was black. Mine was "AITC" brand, and it cost US$2.69 at a local discount store in our neighborhood. I got it for my 11th birthday in 1971.
Old 12-20-2007, 02:20 PM
VideoKarma Member

2 transistor boy's radio & Arvin USA made transistor

I don't have many transistor radios; but, these two are my favorite pocket radios. The white one is a two transistor boy's radio that has it's own stand to sit it up & is made in Japan. The red one is a USA made Arvin in a genuine leather case. I think both of these date from the early '60's. I'm sure USA made pocket radios are rare, especially by the '60's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00392.JPG (55.0 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00393.JPG (49.6 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00394.JPG (52.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 12-20-2007, 02:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

More pocket radios

Here's a few more plain looking radios that date from around '65 to about '70. The first picture is a Sears Silvertone 7209. This is a hefty radio with a chrome metal front. This is a model 7209 and uses a round 9V battery.

The second picture is of four pretty plain models.

From L to R:
1. Realtone 10 transistor AM made in Japan.
2. AITC 8 transistor AM. Printed label says assembled in Singapore. The back has printed in tiny letters at the bottom "British crown colony of Hong Kong."
3. Philco-Ford AM made in Taiwan.
4. RCA AM/FM made in Japan. Model RHM19E. The antenna is broken and I think the band switch is erratic. This one has a stand on the bottom.

Pocket radios seem to be getting harder to find. The last one I saw was in a local flea market. It was one of those later model silver Radio Shack weather radios. They wanted $29.99 for it. I laughed and moved on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00395.JPG (83.3 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Imported Photos 00396.JPG (75.5 KB, 27 views)
Old 02-09-2008, 09:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

my avatar is a radio

My avatar is actually an AM radio! I am into novelty radios and have over 1500 sets so far! I have over 520 transistor radios too, these things are just great!

Last edited by noveltyradio.co; 02-09-2008 at 09:23 PM. Reason: too many misspelled words!
Old 02-10-2008, 12:29 AM
<----Zenith C845

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
I don't have many transistor radios; but, these two are my favorite pocket radios. The white one is a two transistor boy's radio that has it's own stand to sit it up & is made in Japan.
I had a "Coronet" two-transistor "boy's radio" in the late '60s; got it from one of my cousins when his family was getting ready to move. The radio didn't work very well where I lived at the time; only picked up one station, a local station about three miles east of me. These two-transistor radios work great if you are in a very strong signal area, within a few miles of powerful stations, but if you are in the far suburbs of a city or even further away from the transmitters, these sets won't work worth a darn. I remember reading right here in this forum that these 2-transistor radios were little more than glorified crystal sets, with a very small amplifier to drive a speaker.

Collecting, restoring and enjoying vintage Zenith radios since 2002

Zenith. Gone, but not forgotten.

Last edited by Jeffhs; 02-10-2008 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Addition to post
Audiokarma
Old 02-10-2008, 08:56 AM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffhs View Post
I had a "Coronet" two-transistor "boy's radio" in the late '60s; got it from one of my cousins when his family was getting ready to move. The radio didn't work very well where I lived at the time; only picked up one station, a local station about three miles east of me. These two-transistor radios work great if you are in a very strong signal area, within a few miles of powerful stations, but if you are in the far suburbs of a city or even further away from the transmitters, these sets won't work worth a darn. I remember reading right here in this forum that these 2-transistor radios were little more than glorified crystal sets, with a very small amplifier to drive a speaker.
They performed poorly because they were only a crystal set with a two-transistor audio amp. Amazingly enough, they'd suck the life right out of a 9 volt battery in no time.
Old 04-13-2008, 01:57 PM
VideoKarma Member

Candle 10-Transistor

Here's my latest catch from eBay...a Candle 10-Transistor. In very good cosmetic shape...not as loud as it was in its prime, but for an early 1960s radio it does fine. Quite sensitive, at night I can do some DXing with it. I don't know how many transistors are actually used in the circuit...the radio uses an 006P 9V batt.

Chuck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Candle b.JPG (115.2 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-13-2008, 02:08 PM
VideoKarma Member

Boy's Radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celt View Post
They performed poorly because they were only a crystal set with a two-transistor audio amp. Amazingly enough, they'd suck the life right out of a 9 volt battery in no time.

Boy's radios actually used a reflex circuit. Once I redid the antenna coil on an Angel 2-transistor (that was dumb, I'd sure like to have that radio today)...I replaced the smaller coil with one using more turns. The radio became much more sensitive and selective (and also drained the 9V battery quicker). Now I have several boy's radios from eBay...one of them oscillates at the high end of the band when I attach the whip antenna to it.

The first transistor of a boy's radio is actually an rf stage...

Chuck
Old 04-13-2008, 02:22 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Here's a few more plain looking radios that date from around '65 to about '70. The first picture is a Sears Silvertone 7209. This is a hefty radio with a chrome metal front. This is a model 7209 and uses a round 9V battery.

The second picture is of four pretty plain models.

From L to R:
1. Realtone 10 transistor AM made in Japan.
2. AITC 8 transistor AM. Printed label says assembled in Singapore. The back has printed in tiny letters at the bottom "British crown colony of Hong Kong."
3. Philco-Ford AM made in Taiwan.
4. RCA AM/FM made in Japan. Model RHM19E. The antenna is broken and I think the band switch is erratic. This one has a stand on the bottom.

Pocket radios seem to be getting harder to find. The last one I saw was in a local flea market. It was one of those later model silver Radio Shack weather radios. They wanted $29.99 for it. I laughed and moved on.

I've got that RCA...the bandswitch is erratic on mine too, have to get it just right on FM. FM reception is weak, only the strong stations are good, but it does improve when I connect a random wire antenna to the collapsed whip. Very good on AM! A good DXer on the AM band! I have to tighten the tuning dial every now n then, luckily the screw for that is accessible...

Chuck
Old 04-13-2008, 02:28 PM
Peanut Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tune tuner View Post

Boy's radios actually used a reflex circuit. Once I redid the antenna coil on an Angel 2-transistor (that was dumb, I'd sure like to have that radio today)...I replaced the smaller coil with one using more turns. The radio became much more sensitive and selective (and also drained the 9V battery quicker). Now I have several boy's radios from eBay...one of them oscillates at the high end of the band when I attach the whip antenna to it.

The first transistor of a boy's radio is actually an rf stage...

Chuck
Learn something every day...
Audiokarma
Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM
VideoKarma Member

transistor radio find!

I finally found another transistor radio this weekend! Theya re getting way too scarce now. This is an Empire model td-810, made in Japan and included the box. Its rare to find one that has the box too! Its an unassumming little number, but hey, I got it!!
If I have posted this twice I am sorry; still learning the ropes of posting.
If the picture does not show up: someone please tell me how to upload it, I have tried twice!

Last edited by noveltyradio.co; 04-13-2008 at 04:59 PM. Reason: trying to get the picture in the message body!
Old 04-14-2008, 01:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gary, nice Empire radio!

Gary,

Nice Empire, that's not a brand name I see often. The trim is even intact. Does it play? I think I'll try to recap a few of my simpler transistor sets and see how that goes. So many radios have lost their volume...would be nice to restore them but I wouldn't wanna ruin them in the process.

I think I've bought a couple of radios from you. Ahhh, yes, what a hobby!

Chuck
Old 04-14-2008, 02:25 PM
The Goodbye Look

Great radios,guys.Here is my little guy.A Panasonic Toot-A-Loop.The first transistor I ever brought home that my wife was jealous of.
Jimmy

Last edited by 2DualsNotEnough; 05-09-2009 at 02:49 AM.
Old 04-14-2008, 04:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Thanks for the kind words Chuck! It did play, even tho I had to replace the battery connector! I wish the picture didn't go big sized. I will have to learn how to do the smaller picture posting!
I am up to 611 transistor radios, and over 1520 novelty radios! I am like you, what a hobby!!
Gary
Old 04-21-2008, 06:43 PM
VideoKarma Member

Gary...resizing pictures...

Gary, do you have any basic photo editing programs on your computer? I've been resampling my large pics down to more usable sizes...I think most photo editing software lets you do that...

But my favorite radio pics I still do save originals in their large size just so I can study them later...

Chuck
Audiokarma