Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Early B&W and Projection TV

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 01-15-2024, 07:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

My New Babies Have Arrived in the Shop!!!

My new RCA 6T64. 16GP4 picture tube tests strong with good cutoff. Cabinet is in very good shape.

And the 30 pounds of Bakelite goodness...my Admiral 20X122. Seems to be in excellent cosmetic condition. Don't know anything about the insides yet.

If I ever get there, retirement is going to be a blast!!!
Old 01-15-2024, 09:58 PM
VideoKarma Member

Does the 6T64 use the KCS47 chassis? And it must be one of the last of the pre intercarrier sound RCAs.
Old 01-15-2024, 10:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Yes it does
Old 01-18-2024, 07:47 AM
VideoKarma Member

When I tested the CRT on the RCA, I didn't take a very close look at the inside and I have my suspicions...is this one of those live HV, metal cone CRTs with 14Kv buzzing through it exposed to the open air...and me?
Old 01-18-2024, 12:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris K View Post
When I tested the CRT on the RCA, I didn't take a very close look at the inside and I have my suspicions...is this one of those live HV, metal cone CRTs with 14Kv buzzing through it exposed to the open air...and me?
Indeed it is a metal cone crt, be careful!

https://frank.pocnet.net/sheets/127/1/16GP4.pdf

jr
Audiokarma
Old 01-19-2024, 08:53 PM
VideoKarma Member

I also have that set one of my favorite RCA
Old 01-20-2024, 05:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

Mahogany, walnut and quarter sawn oak veneers. Can’t wait to clean it up. Also, the Admiral CRT tested good. I brought it up through a dim bulb wattage series and when I went to 117V line voltage, I had sound and a good static filled image! Followed Bob Andersen’s vintage tv protocol to the letter. Caps and resistor tests next! The Bakelite cabinet is in great shape. No wear on any of the painted lettering on the control panel. If I don’t screw it up it’ll be a great set.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:06 PM
VideoKarma Member

You have the collective mentorship and wisdom of Videokarma on tap. You ain't gonna screw it up! Plus, you can now slay the fear dragon with that metal cone CRT.

Last edited by old_coot88; 01-20-2024 at 06:10 PM.
Old 01-20-2024, 06:20 PM
RCA 741PCS

Goodluck. I parted out a couple KCS-47 chassis. Let me know if you need anything.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:58 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bandersen View Post
Goodluck. I parted out a couple KCS-47 chassis. Let me know if you need anything.
That's great. Thank you Bob. I'm starting with the Admiral first. It's had some significant work done on it underneath. It's also chassis run #13 so there are lots of factory upgrades/changes that cause the hardware to differ from the baseline schematic. Fortunately the ETF has a great deal of service data available and I've downloaded and printed it all. Hopefully I'll be able to trace components that don't look like the Sams chassis photos and find them in the service data. It looks like #13 is the last of the chassis runs. I'm assuming this means all of the previous changes 2-12 will be part of this chassis?

I started cleaning the knob hardware and it looks like the brass rings around the outside dials are solid brass or they have a thick brass plating on them that stands up to polishing well. I used some Wright's Brass Polish and a Dremel buffing wheel and they shined up beautifully.

Some "Done/Not Done" pics below.

Audiokarma