Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Antique phonographs

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 05-18-2019, 06:11 PM
VideoKarma Member

Picked up a Technics SL-V5 Turntable today!

Hello everyone today at a garage sale I picked up for $10 a Technics SL-V5 Vertical Linear Track Turntable that is in really good shape and looks hardly used the only thing wrong with it is that its missing its original power cord and original RCA Cables and Ground Cable but I have some Audio Cables that will work for it just fine laying around my place and I have a power cord that'll work for it fine and I was able to find the correct ground cable for it on ebay for $16 and free shipping.

Anything I should know about these linear track turntables that might be beneficial to know like any sort of issues that can come up with these that might need addressing or needle replacement tips and tricks etc.?

How do the linear track turntables compare to the traditional turntables function wise and did I get a good deal on this turntable and is this considered a respectable unit?

Thanks for any help in advance with this and pictures of the unit are below.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190518_190627.jpg (60.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_190110.jpg (70.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_190128.jpg (58.1 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_190200.jpg (45.2 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg 20190518_190208.jpg (59.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 05-18-2019, 06:35 PM
VideoKarma Member

You can't just use any audio cables for signal. The cable must have low capacitance. Using any old cable will adversely color the sound.
Old 05-18-2019, 06:46 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan1a View Post
You can't just use any audio cables for signal. The cable must have low capacitance. Using any old cable will adversely color the sound.
I have Audio Grade RCA Cables (Red and White Cables together only that are meant for use with tape decks and Record Players) in my cable stash, its not like I'm using audio cables that are used for video equipment.
Old 05-20-2019, 12:25 PM
VideoKarma Member

You stole it for what you paid

Go to vinylengine and download the service manual.

You will need to replace a belt which drives the tonearm, replace some old dried up lubricant, and possibly a turntable drive belt (not sure if this is a direct or belt drive model)

For the ground wire, I just thread one though the hole for the proprietary technics cable and screw it to some metal inside the unit. You may prefer to order a cable, I believe they're about $10 online.

Get a replacement stylus too.

As for sound, etc? I love the full auto linear trackers of the 80s. I have a technics SL3 as my workbench turntable for testing amps, and I also have a Sansui P-L95R which goes one step farther and plays both sides. They're a bit fiddly to get into top working order but the reward is a trouble free and relaxing experience.. all manual works for some people but I like automatic players since I listen late at night and often fall asleep with the music on.

Linear trackers get rid of the inner groove tracking distortion which plagues cheap record players. Cheap ones dont sound we nice as expensive ones but this should come as no surprise anyhow good luck!
Old 05-20-2019, 08:33 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhifi View Post
You stole it for what you paid

Go to vinylengine and download the service manual.

You will need to replace a belt which drives the tonearm, replace some old dried up lubricant, and possibly a turntable drive belt (not sure if this is a direct or belt drive model)

For the ground wire, I just thread one though the hole for the proprietary technics cable and screw it to some metal inside the unit. You may prefer to order a cable, I believe they're about $10 online.

Get a replacement stylus too.

As for sound, etc? I love the full auto linear trackers of the 80s. I have a technics SL3 as my workbench turntable for testing amps, and I also have a Sansui P-L95R which goes one step farther and plays both sides. They're a bit fiddly to get into top working order but the reward is a trouble free and relaxing experience.. all manual works for some people but I like automatic players since I listen late at night and often fall asleep with the music on.

Linear trackers get rid of the inner groove tracking distortion which plagues cheap record players. Cheap ones dont sound we nice as expensive ones but this should come as no surprise anyhow good luck!
Thanks for the information!

I had already downloaded the service manual and owners manual for this machine and its definitely got impressive specs to say the least.

This machine thankfully is a direct drive machine so no belts to have to worry about (at least not with the platter anyways).

I have inspected the machine and even tested it out with a record I had handy and it works perfectly yet, the needle is still in good shape and the cartridge it has on it is a Shure M92 LT cartridge which from what I read online was one of the best cartridges these Linear Track Turntables could have.

As for the Ground Wire I did find some for sale on ebay for $16 and free shipping.

From what I could tell this turntable seems to be a low hours unit.
Audiokarma
Old 05-21-2019, 02:26 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vortalexfan View Post
Thanks for the information!

I had already downloaded the service manual and owners manual for this machine and its definitely got impressive specs to say the least.

This machine thankfully is a direct drive machine so no belts to have to worry about (at least not with the platter anyways).

I have inspected the machine and even tested it out with a record I had handy and it works perfectly yet, the needle is still in good shape and the cartridge it has on it is a Shure M92 LT cartridge which from what I read online was one of the best cartridges these Linear Track Turntables could have.

As for the Ground Wire I did find some for sale on ebay for $16 and free shipping.

From what I could tell this turntable seems to be a low hours unit.
There is most likely a belt which drives the arm.. those get loose and can cause mistrscking. I would suggest to change it as preventive maintenance.

The shure is a replacement, and a good one. Technics cartridges are really nothing special.
Old 05-28-2019, 09:04 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
There is most likely a belt which drives the arm.. those get loose and can cause mistrscking. I would suggest to change it as preventive maintenance.

The shure is a replacement, and a good one. Technics cartridges are really nothing special.
thanks, for the info.
How does one access the tone-arm belt?
Old 05-31-2019, 12:03 PM
VideoKarma Member

www.vinylengine.com should have the service manual.

It's usually easy to take these apart, although I have never worked on that exact model.
Old 05-31-2019, 12:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
www.vinylengine.com should have the service manual.

It's usually easy to take these apart, although I have never worked on that exact model.
I do actually already have the service manual for my unit but I didn't see anything in there about accessing the tone arm belt, at least I didn't see anything when I looked, but seeing as the service manual had over 50 pages, I might of missed it and not realized it.