Videokarma.org

Go Back   Videokarma.org TV - Video - Vintage Television & Radio Forums > Solid State CRT Televisions

We appreciate your help

in keeping this site going.

Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 PM
VideoKarma Member

I have to agree with you I don't know why so many people trashed Good Working CRT Televisions for the Flat Screens? As for tv signals, I live in a rural area and we get real good reception through the use of our converter box. We get stations now that we couldn't get through Analog. The closest station to us is 90 miles. We getsome stations that are over 100 miles away. I didn't buy and expensive antenna either. I bought one for around $38 and put it up on a tv pole. I also installed a rotor and control box and that helps alot with getting the best signals. I won't subscribe to satellite tv as it can become way too expensive. Also, don't watch that much tv anyways. I would love to see the day when CRT Consoles and TableTops come back but I am sure that isn't very likely. My folks always had a Console TV and I plan to keep using one as well. The only difference with theirs and my console is they didn't have to worry about the little converter box to select the channels. By the way, we still have that TV that I grew up with and it still works great. We had to have a new main board(module) put in April of this year, but other than that we had never done anything to it. It did get used alot too as when my sister was living at home she always had the TV on so it seemed!!!
Old 08-10-2013, 01:01 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
I have to agree with you I don't know why so many people trashed Good Working CRT Televisions for the Flat Screens? As for tv signals, I live in a rural area and we get real good reception through the use of our converter box. We get stations now that we couldn't get through Analog. The closest station to us is 90 miles. We getsome stations that are over 100 miles away. I didn't buy and expensive antenna either. I bought one for around $38 and put it up on a tv pole. I also installed a rotor and control box and that helps alot with getting the best signals. I won't subscribe to satellite tv as it can become way too expensive. Also, don't watch that much tv anyways. I would love to see the day when CRT Consoles and TableTops come back but I am sure that isn't very likely. My folks always had a Console TV and I plan to keep using one as well. The only difference with theirs and my console is they didn't have to worry about the little converter box to select the channels. By the way, we still have that TV that I grew up with and it still works great. We had to have a new main board(module) put in April of this year, but other than that we had never done anything to it. It did get used alot too as when my sister was living at home she always had the TV on so it seemed!!!
Today, I was at an estate sale and they tried to give me a mid '90's non-working 32" upright RCA home theatre console (probably a CTC169). The cabinet was in good shape and the instruction book was on top of the TV; but, I turned it down. Had I taken the set, it would have sat here from now on because it seems that no one around wants CRT TV's anymore and they certainly don't want consoles. Currently, I have a 26" RCA console (CTC177) at the local consignment shop and it's been there for two months with no takers. This shop always has a full parking lot; so, it's not because they don't have customers. It's just that people have gotten so snobby about what they'll own and if it's not brand new modern technology; then, they don't want it. Oh, talk about the embarrassment of having the guys come over on Sunday afternoon to watch the game on a 20 year old floor model TV. Most people around here seem to associate console TV's as highly outdated and the only people who still use them are "trailer park trash" and people who live in public housing.

Recently, I advertised a 20" RCA with jacks for $20 and a 27" Magnavox for $30 on a local facebook buy/sell page with zero interest; but, let someone advertise some POS Funai-built flatscreen and people are fighting over it. I'm a rat's behind away from not bringing home anymore TV's, unless it's something for me. I'm to the point where I'm tired of dragging this crap home, fixing it, and having it sit here from now on because everyone has turned into a snob. Used to, I could sell any kind of working TV I got my hands on because people didn't care - they just wanted something with picture and sound.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 AM
Don't mess with Esther.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiotvnut View Post
Recently, I advertised a 20" RCA with jacks for $20 and a 27" Magnavox for $30 on a local facebook buy/sell page with zero interest; but, let someone advertise some POS Funai-built flatscreen and people are fighting over it. I'm a rat's behind away from not bringing home anymore TV's, unless it's something for me. I'm to the point where I'm tired of dragging this crap home, fixing it, and having it sit here from now on because everyone has turned into a snob. Used to, I could sell any kind of working TV I got my hands on because people didn't care - they just wanted something with picture and sound.
Someone's playing hardball with me over a 1988 20" XL-100. It's not in reach of the bus system and the person won't bring it to me even though I offered extra for that. He said it's been for sale for a while and will sit until it's sold. Good luck to that money-loving bastard. Also, I asked him if it were possible to get someone else to bring it into the city while on their way, to which he agreed to try, but decided not to and didn't tell me until I asked about it again. Seems that he was hoping to get that extra cash for "whenever he comes into the city". I told him straight up that he only gets the extra if he makes a special trip. Haven't heard from him since. I made an offer that many here would consider ludicrously generous. The more money these sub-humans get, the more they want.

Last edited by Jon A.; 08-10-2013 at 01:28 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:02 AM
VideoKarma Member

I wonder why people have become this way? I know we always and still do appreciate our CRT TV's. I know my family doesn't think its's cool that we prefer a Console over a Flat Screen. However, she has had to have one of her flat screens worked on already and it still doesn't work right. I think I had mentioned had our Zenith Console bought in 1991 never had a problem until the Spring of this year and once the part was replaced it works as good as new. The flat screens will never last for 20+ yrs. like some of the old CRT's. Too bad we have become a throw away society.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Analogue is Awesome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User
I know we always and still do appreciate our CRT TV's.
You aint kidding buddy!!!!!!

WE KNOW WHAT WE HAVE! (I hear that saying "you dont know what you have until its gone" -- I THINK WE ALL HERE REALISE HOW GOOD WHAT WE HAVE IS AND ALWAYS HAS BEEN!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by holmesuser01
I hate digital. It has ruined everything.
Indeed it has my friend!

Looks and sounds like crap compared to straight analog!!!!
Audiokarma
Old 08-17-2013, 09:45 PM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Console User View Post
I know we always and still do appreciate our CRT TV's. ... The flat screens will never last for 20+ yrs. like some of the old CRT's.
Here is a hybrid of sorts, a CRT VGA monitor displaying 1080i.

There's a Samsung ATSC HDTV receiver box inside the cabinet, which has outputs that can drive VGA monitors directly.

The cabinet used to house an RCA CTC19, but its chassis and original CRT long gone.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Learning as I go

I know around here the signal was horrible when they first switched but after awhile some of the stations increased their power and moved back to VHF so it's not too hard to get Chanel's anymore
Old 04-12-2013, 09:40 AM
VideoKarma Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephdaniel View Post
I know around here the signal was horrible when they first switched but after awhile some of the stations increased their power and moved back to VHF so it's not too hard to get Chanel's anymore
I don't think they went back to VHF.
I do think, they increased their power.
Old 04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
VideoKarma Member

Here in the Western NC mountains, the signal has to be perfect, or I get lots of pixels and jerky sound. I'm stuck with it for now. Can't do anything else.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:07 AM
VideoKarma Member

40xbr800

Look at what someone threw out a year ago. Took me that long to find all the parts for The D board or power board. His wife bought a flat screen and just wanted it out if the house. Its a Sony KV40XBR800. Cost him 4000 new in 2002.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo on 2013-04-11 at 23.43 #3.jpg (55.6 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg Photo on 2013-04-11 at 23.43 #2.jpg (62.5 KB, 150 views)
Audiokarma
Old 11-13-2013, 08:51 AM
VideoKarma Member

@Firebird

I got a free Sony KVXBR800 from a guy on craigslist The television needs some work o it . The picture will shut down and flash code 7 or the AKA 7 blinks .The set gets burly sometimes the color will look off and sometimes come back perfect and kick out again . Im told the MCZ3001d chips need replacing and from the looks of it I don't think they where changed . I may change the chips my self in the future . But the set is working . What problems did you have with that set You have the same set I own . Im running a blu ray player on this set and the picture will blow away a plasma set 10 to 1 .Let me know what you found wrong with your set so I can possibly fix mine too . I really like this set but the down fall is the set weights 300.00 lbs. I would have a tech fix it but getting quaffed service tech for Sony is costly . Laner television in south Milwaukee want 110.0 just for the service call and that's if they can fix it .
Old 04-14-2013, 03:43 AM
VideoKarma Member

In some parts of the country they never turned uhf off.
Old 04-14-2013, 11:03 AM
VideoKarma Member

Realigned convergance on Sony KV-40XBR800. Now it looks like new.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:16 PM
VideoKarma Member

Sure did His wife bought a flat panel and wanted it out, He did not want to but she insisted. Took a year to get all the parts and straighten it out. Had that pesky chip problem among others. Is beautiful now.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 AM
<-- CSXT 6038, EMD GP40-2

I know I won't be getting rid of mine until it is well and truly beyond repair!

I don't know why, but I have been finding an increasing number of working sets in the trash. Just last week I saw a perfectly working 50-inch Toshiba TheaterView rear projector get destroyed for scrap...